2013 Ford Escape

haven

Expedition Leader
Edmunds Inside Line is reporting that the 2013 Ford Escape will be completely different from the current model. The new Escape will be based on the Kuga crossover currently manufactured by Ford in Europe. Here's the Kuga:

Ford-Kuga-2011.jpg

FordKuga2011.jpg

Edmunds expects the new Escape to go on sale in early 2012 as a 2013 model. The new crossover will probably be powered by a 2.0L four cylinder gas engine that is currently used in the Ford Focus. The 2.0L EcoBoost turbocharged engine will be an option. Since the current Escape Hybrid has been well accepted in USA, it's likely that the new Escape will be available as a hybrid as well.

The Kuga is available with front wheel drive, or an "Intelligent All Wheel Drive" system developed by Haldex.

Ford currently makes the Kuga in germany, and exports the crossover to 50 countries in Europe, Africa, and South America. Ford recently announced plans to build and sell the Kuga in China. These models use a 2.0L turbodiesel engine today. With the rising price of diesel fuel and the complicated equipment needed to control diesel emissions, I expect the 2.0L gas engine to become more popular in Europe.

haven

Expedition Leader
I wonder if Ford will try to boost the new Escape's fuel efficiency with a 1.6L EcoBoost gas engine plus electric motor. The 2.0L EcoBoost, which puts out as much torque as the Subaru WRX turbo 2.5L, would make the Escape quite a hot rod when paired with the extra torque of an elecric motor.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I don't usually like that look which many cross-over SUVs have, but in this case I do.

A 2.0L EcoBoost sounds perfect to me if I could routinely get 30+ MPG out of it.

Last edited:

FreeManDan

Adventurer
I don't think that should have a ford badge, I think it's ugly enough to be a subaru, a kia, or even a...hyundai!

haven

Expedition Leader
Ford runs a blog called The Ford Story. The blog released more details about the engines that will be offered in the new 2013 Escape. The 2013 Ford Escape is due to be introduced at next month's LA Auto Show.

http://www.thefordstory.com/our-art...-on-new-ford-escape-big-mpg-for-c-max-hybrid/

The non-hybrid drive trains include a 2.5L four, a 1.6L EcoBoost four, and a 2.0L Ecoboost four. Ford says the 1.6L Ecoboost will be rated above 31 mpg highway. There will be new hybrid Escape models, too, but those won't appear until later.

Chili

Explorer
The previous Escape looks more like an SUV.
This one looks more car like and has the longer front overhang.

That is more or less the definition of a crossover I believe, a blend between car and small SUV. They already have the Edge, this seems to put them in a position to compete against themselves. Seems silly to me.

I prefered the Escape as a small SUV.

r50fj60

Observer
It looks like an edge/crv/rav4/forester/almost every other CUV. Nothing against the idea of CUVs, but the market has enough of them. Should've kept the boxier design and fluffed it up a bit. . .then again i'd never buy one, since they don't have an open bed option. . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles