Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Tread Lightly!...?

Arrow Why Tread Lightly!...?

Treading Lightly is one of the best practices that we as public land users can do to make sure that we can not only continue to use our public lands in a variety of recreational manners, but also make sure that the natural resources and experiences remain intact for future generations. Its not about restriction, but rather about responsibility for our public lands and to ourselves, our friends and families, other visitors, and future generations.

So what does it mean to "Tread Lightly"? Well, we've developed our 5 Principles to break it down to basics:

Tread Lightly! Principles

Travel Responsibly on land by staying on designated roads, trails and areas. Go over, not around, obstacles to avoid widening the trails. Cross streams only at designated crossings. When possible avoid wet, muddy trails. On water, stay on designated waterways and launch your watercraft in designated areas.

Respect the Rights of Others including private property owners, all recreational trail users, campers and others so they can enjoy their recreational activities undisturbed. Leave gates as you found them. Yield right of way to those passing you or going uphill. On water, respect anglers, swimmers, skiers, boaters, divers and those on or near shore.

Educate Yourself prior to your trip by obtaining travel maps and regulations from public agencies. Plan for your trip, take recreation skills classes and know how to operate your equipment safely.

Avoid Sensitive Areas on land such as meadows, lakeshores, wetlands and streams. Stay on designated routes. This protects wildlife habitats and sensitive soils from damage. Don’t disturb historical, archeological or paleontological sites. On water, avoid operating your watercraft in shallow waters or near shorelines at high speeds.

Do Your Part by modeling appropriate behavior, leaving the area better than you found it, properly disposing of waste, minimizing the use of fire, avoiding the spread of invasive species and repairing degraded areas.

We gain a lot by Treading Lightly as a community. Please help us by promoting the Tread Lightly! ethics whenever you can.

For more information: www.treadlightly.org

Also, you can follow us with social media!

Facebook: www.facebook.com/TLoutdoorethics
    Twitter: twitter.com/#!/tread_lightly
    Myspace: www.myspace.com/treadlightlypage

Thanks for the support!! And please, feel free to ask here if you have any questions or desire for clarification, at all.
    Last edited by Tread Lightly!; 03-15-2012 at 10:56 PM.

Welcome to the Expedition Portal. Great to see Tread Lightly here and contributing to the conversation. And thanks for everything you do out there in the real world.
    -J. Brandon (yup, it's just J.)
    Treat others as you would like to be treated
    www.americansahara.com

Absolutely, it is our pleasure. Please let me know if there are additional resources that we can provide.

I will be doing my best to get information about Tread Trainer courses and other projects that we are involved in posted here. You all in the Expedition Portal / Overland Journal world have always been fantastic supporters of responsible use, so we definitely appreciate that!

do you guys have any student membership deals?
    "When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect. There is no other way for land to survive the impact of mechanized man, nor for us to reap from it the aesthetic harvest it is capable, under science, of contributing to culture." - Aldo Leopold

01' Mitsubishi Montero Sport 3.5XS - 265/75R16 Cooper ATP's and Aisin Manual Hubs
    81' Honda CT110
    1990 Bianchi Bicycle - the daily driver

Pretty sad we even need Tread Lightly. I always thought it just came naturally. Btw, still have my tread lightly charter member sticker on my jeep. Gotta love it when stickers stand the test of time.
    2004 Dodge 2500 CTD 4WD FWC
    1960 Jeep CJ5
    KK6AUI
    Member CA4WDC, BRC, UFWDA, Tread Lightly
    "The welfare of the people has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience"
    - Albert Camus

Welcome to ExPo, TreadLightly!

Trainer and supporter here. Everyone who is serious about this hobby should help this program. Its definitely worth it.
    Get out and make nowhere your special somewhere!

Welcome to ExPo, I'm a proud Trainer!
    Kurt Williams
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Your original outfitter for OME - ARB - AA - Safari - Helton - Engel - Since 1992
    Join us on Facebook
    ExpeditionUtah - A lifelong project of exploring Utah
    kurt@cruiseroutfitters.com

Quote Originally Posted by craig333 View Post
    Pretty sad we even need Tread Lightly. I always thought it just came naturally.
    Agreed! But its just like the laws we have to have that make it illegal to text while driving.
    1999 Toyota 100-Series Land Cruiser: Adventure rig
    2009 Kimberly Sports RV: Sold
    2006 Adventure Trailers Horizon: Sold

Good to see you guys over here too!
    Curt Hall
    Treadlightly Master Trainer
    Leave No Trace Trainer
    ExpeditionUtah.com

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMcGee View Post
    do you guys have any student membership deals?
    Currently, we do not. However, the link above goes to a "friend" of Tread Lightly! program for free, and get email updates on Tread Principles, the stewardship grants, and other TL! programs. Not to mention if you become a friend in May, you're entered for a $75 gas card (and who wouldn't like one of those right now...?)

However, our memberships do begin at $25/year. More information can be seen here: http://www.treadlightly.org/page.php...al-Memberships

Quote Originally Posted by craig333 View Post
    Pretty sad we even need Tread Lightly. I always thought it just came naturally. Btw, still have my tread lightly charter member sticker on my jeep. Gotta love it when stickers stand the test of time.
    Thanks for rocking the sticker still!! While I am not sure I agree with the "sad" part, but I will say that i've long felt that in a perfect world, organizations like Tread Lightly! and Leave No Trace wouldn't exist since we would all play nice out there. But with an increase in people utilizing the outdoors in all forms, its nice to have these programs to be that gentle reminder that the way to maintain access and protect resources for future generations is through pro-active education.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Leary View Post
    Welcome to ExPo, TreadLightly!

Trainer and supporter here. Everyone who is serious about this hobby should help this program. Its definitely worth it.
    Awesome to see Trainers on the forums! Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by cruiseroutfit View Post
    Welcome to ExPo, I'm a proud Trainer!
    Again, Thanks!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast