M416 Tongue Jack ideas using a Hi-Lift

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Ok I need a fairly quick fix, the landing leg is not going to be used because it's to short with the lift and matching tires (while I could extend the landing leg it still will not lift the tongue). The tongue will be heavy with a full size spare and two batteries. I've used a Hi-Lift in the yard on a theoretical basis and it will work. What I need to know is how to mound it to the trailer to be used as a landing leg and a trailer tongue jack, and ALSO be removed while connected to the vehicle to change a tire if necessary.

IMG_2628.jpg

IMG_2627.jpg

IMG_2626.jpg

I was thinking about using a U-bolt, drilling a new hole and at least making it removable if I really needed it, I also thought a piece of square tube with a notch cut in it like on a TJM bumper so the Hi-Lift foot passes through but couldn't come up with a rattle free mount idea on paper.

A

greentruck

Adventurer
I suggest revisiting the idea of an extended landed leg.

I use the Hi-Lift to raise the trailer myself, but simply mount it across the rear of the trailer when not in use. I use the jack to raise the trailer tongue as needed, but then drop and use the extended landing leg to hold the trailer up, using the jack to let it down easy onto the landing leg.

It seems a bit iffy to me to rely on a Hi-Lift to hold the front tongue up in camp, even if you find a way to securely, but temporarily mount it to the tongue/drawbar. Too much chance of it being subject to being bumped or otherwise causing the trailer tongue to fall. An extended landing leg solves that problem.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
This could work for any build but mine, I used a length of 1/8" flat to extend the leg and it failed on it's own. The only problem I'd have is the spare tire I have tucked underneath the trailer would limit the landing leg to be the proper length. The idea of the Hi-Lift failing is less likely given the weight and the height of extension 24"-25" from base to bottom of HL gear assembly. I've used HL's for years to extract stumps they fail slow but require a great deal of weight to star them bending not to mention more extension than what I'm using.

A

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Greentruck, rethinking the landing leg and restricted length an adjustable 2 piece square tube with aligning holes as a lynch pin could be fabricated then like yours just mount the HL elsewhere.

A

greentruck

Adventurer
That square tubing idea is good, probably better than mine. Here's what I did, just in case it helps someone else finds this works better for them or is easier to put together for them. I run 33s on the trailer and this comes out just about right as far as pintle height, if maybe a little low. I figure a little low is better, because it makes the stiffest leg and, heck, you got the Hi-Lift if you need it.

I used a piece of drawbar that I got at the local farm big box store. It's pretty hard stuff and 3/8" thick. I cut it at the very minimum length that could be used to butt the lower leg against the upper leg, instead of overlapping as from the factory. That way a little of the weight/force pushes down through the original parts. I drilled the extender so that it set at that point, resulting in 3/4" thickness, although it is only two 3/8" thick pieces.

And I treat it gently. The originals were pretty prone to bending at the drop of the hat.

DividingCreek

Explorer
there is a pin type adapter you can get for high lifts to fit the jack recepticals on Land Rovers. If you got that and welded a piece of tubing to the frame as a receiver you could drill both and put a pin or bolt through as a safety measure. That way you could pull the pin and the jack would be detached.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-4643-adaptor-for-hi-lift-jack.aspx

Looks like it would be pretty simple to make as well.

just an idea

Last edited:

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I have two mounted as stabilizers using the notched tubing.

jack2.JPG
jack.JPG
IMGP0178.JPG
ZR5wheel2.JPG

The tricky part in your installation will be figuring out a way to stabilize the top when raised.
Maybe make the tube hinged to fold across the tongue when stowed and pin horizontally to raise?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke