Building the worlds best firestarter...

DrMoab

Explorer
So, you head out to your favorite camp spot, in the rain and it's cold and you want a fire. You light a match but it just goes out. You throw some gas on but it blows up in your face and leaves you looking like a cancer victim for a month. A road flare sometimes works but you will lose all your night vision and stumble over your pile of firewood and crack your skull on a rock...

So what is the solution? Build your own firestarters.

The list of items you will need is short and cheap. An egg crate, some wax (candles work well) and some dryer lint.

First things first. Take your egg crate and put it on some tinfoil (men, don't forget this step or you WILL be sleeping in the back yard, next to the nice warm fire you built using your new firestarters)

Sorry for the poor cell phone photos. It's a firestarter...I really didn't think they were worthy of bringing the big guns out for.

Take your dryer lint and place a generous amount in each egg hole. Try to compress it. The more you get in each hole, the longer it will burn.
3e1bc4ad.jpg

Next step. Using an old pan or pot (men, again...NOT your wife's brand new expensive non-stick boutique frying pan) put your wax in. If you don't have anything lying around, go to your local big box store and buy a regular old non-scented candle. This will be the most expensive part of the project, unless you cook the wax too hot and set your house on fire.
36d3fb32.jpg

Cook it on LOW to Med Low heat. Be patient. Let it melt slowly.
63310cb9.jpg

Make sure, if you are using a candle that you pull the wick out while its melting.
cf7e099a.jpg

After the wax is completely liquid, carefully pour it over your lint filled egg crate.
8f7fcb2d.jpg

Try to completely cover each egg hole full of lint with wax. The more wax the better. When you are done it should look like this...
e6e5ed02.jpg

Then let it dry and harden. If it's a cold and rainy day like it has been here, take it outside and set it on the cold concrete of your garage. It will cure faster. Once its cooled enough to handle, take a knife and cut them into individual pieces.
013d1f13.jpg

Then you can store them in ziplock bags or whatever else you want. It only takes one or two to get a decent fire going...wet or dry. Here is a small video of using one in my wood stove.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siG_9bIjl2A"]YouTube - Using the worlds best home made fire starters.[/ame]

I'm sure a lot of you have used these but for those who haven't...I hope this is something that will work for you.

D

Deleted member 9101

I am sooo using this the next time I go camping!!!!!

Gooseberry

Explorer
Another one is to use cotton balls and Vaseline.

You can store it in a pill bottle tell you use it.

Work a glob ( technical term ) into each cotton ball. when you need it just work it till its feathered out and light. this will burn good and I have even lit it with a police taser( no don't ask) and a magnifying glass off a Silva compass. Its what I have in my SAR gear and works better then magnesium and flint alone because you still need a fire source to light and the flint will get it going.

Back to lurking

craig333

Expedition Leader
Since I have diesel and gas (and this is what we put in our drip torches) use two thirds diesel and one third gasoline. But I don't mess around when it comes to fire. Your stuff seems way to boy scoutish :)

lam396

Adventurer
Just a note of caution but dryer lint can be toxic when burned depending on detergents, fabric softners, dryer sheets and type of fabric composing the lint.

I would opt for the cotton balls since they are so cheap. A good trick is to stuff them in a large straw and heat seal the ends to keep them waterproof until needed.

DrMoab

Explorer
Just a note of caution but dryer lint can be toxic when burned depending on detergents, fabric softners, dryer sheets and type of fabric composing the lint.

The stuff doesn't even smoke. I've been told that pretty much everything I do, consume or hang around is toxic. Hell, California even mandates labels to tell you so.

I'm not going to worry myself even the tiniest bit over the 1/16th of a gram of dryer lint used in these, I don't think anyone else really needs to either.

hoaxci5

Observer
I did the same thing except used toilet paper tubes instead of egg crates, I had to be a little more careful with protecting the dish I making them in from being covered with wax, but it worked quite well also.

adi

Adventurer
I did the same thing except used toilet paper tubes instead of egg crates, I had to be a little more careful with protecting the dish I making them in from being covered with wax, but it worked quite well also.

I double boiled mine, used an old saucepan that now doubles as bacon grease holder.

(fill large pot with water, put smaller saucepan floating on the water. This also makes sure you don't put too much heat into it)

DrMoab

Explorer

This is interesting. Did you stuff the tubes then pour the was through them? Or lay them sideways and pour it on the outside of the tube?
Their size would make for a lot longer lasting burn time.

hoaxci5

Observer
This is interesting. Did you stuff the tubes then pour the was through them? Or lay them sideways and pour it on the outside of the tube?
Their size would make for a lot longer lasting burn time.

Stood them up on end stuffed with lint and put foil around the bottom and filled them wax.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I use a very similar idea egg crate, paraffin wax (cheap and any grocery store will have it in the baking/canning isle) double boiler to melt the wax and sawdust instead of the lint. This design burns for about 15 minutes and is water proof, just as yours are.
Darrell

lam396

Adventurer
The stuff doesn't even smoke. I've been told that pretty much everything I do, consume or hang around is toxic. Hell, California even mandates labels to tell you so.

I'm not going to worry myself even the tiniest bit over the 1/16th of a gram of dryer lint used in these, I don't think anyone else really needs to either.

Thats why I don't live in Kali! I wouldn't be to concerned either, just wanted to throw it out there in case you or someone else did since there are a few other options. I have also seen things like this made in cleaned out tuna cans so that you would have a little burning puck that would burn for several minutes.

TwinCruiser

Observer
Cool idea...I usually take some charcoal lighting fluid to start the campfire.

Gonna have to make some of these.

I do carry compressed lint in a Zip Lock bag inside my BOB.
100 o/o cotton towel lint works the best, or so I've read.

BTW, Kali really cracks me up...with all the environmental laws and what not.:ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior