Air pressure in BFG AT ko's

jhicks

What does everyone run in their AT's? I 265/75R16s on my TACO and have heard everything from 30psi to 50psi. Most of my driving is highway.

gwittman

Adventurer
I run 31/10.5-15 tires on my Ford Ranger. That size tire is not too far from your size tire and the Ranger is not too far from the size of your Taco depending on what year it is. Ford recommends 30 psi front and rear for that size tire. I find for the road 33 front and 31 rear gives me the the most uniform wear across the tire. I do have a 350 lb shell on the back too. If I am carrying more weight or towing I adjust those pressures but even then I have never gotten up to 50 psi on the rear. When I tow a trailer with about about 3500 lbs total plus about 800 lbs on the bed, the rear goes to around 45 and the front about 35 psi.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Look on the door and see what the manufacturer recommends. If your tire is larger than stock, you actually don't need as much air. My Cherokee with 33X10.5 R 15 only ran 25 lbs. to to get an even wear on the tread. My Ford Expedition called for 30 front and 35 rear. It ran 265/70 R17s and it was a heavy rig. I would think that your Taco doesn't need more than 30.

tacomaharry

I run mine at 35 psi, unless I have a heavy load for a long distance, then I put in 40-45 psi.

I have had BFG kos and kms for the last two sets of tires and have had even wear across the tread pattern running 35 psi doing city and highway driving.

Gaidheal

Observer
The only way to know for sure is to chalk test for the expected load.

Find a parking lot and run a thick, wide, chalk line across each tire. Get it and drive slowly straight ahead a few rotations and take a look at the pattern in the chalk.

You want an even wear right across the tread.

:beer:

KG6BWS

Explorer
40psi all the way around for me. 45 rear when Im loaded for a trip, 50 if Im also pulling a trailer.

Your best bet would be to A) use the manufacturers specs or B)to do your own tests and see whats best for your vehicle.

Ive found that with my truck, 40lbs gives me the best compromise between tire wear and mileage. The more air in the tire, the more it bulges andthe less contact patch you have on the ground. Less contact patch equals less friction which equals better mileage. BUT, it also equals less traction for braking and control. Hence, the happy medium Ive found with mine.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I run mine at 35 psi, unless I have a heavy load for a long distance, then I put in 40-45 psi.

I have had BFG kos and kms for the last two sets of tires and have had even wear across the tread pattern running 35 psi doing city and highway driving.
I do the same, 35psi daily and bump to about 40psi when fully loaded. I'm running 33x9.50x15 ATs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles