Abandoned/derelict sites

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Nice shots Jim. Hitek, those are poster quality. Wow!

Here are a few of mine:

Rivots on an old Steam engine expansion tank
LRCSD-RedRock-2010-07-X3.jpg

mining cabin, Red Rock State Park
LRCSD-RedRock-2010-44-X3.jpg

Abandoned railroad track along Bradshaw Trail
BradshawTrail-20090207-22-X3.jpg

Abandoned practice bombs along Bradshaw Trail /Chocolate Mountain gunnery range
BradshawTrail-20090207-41-X3.jpg

Charcol Kilns, Death Valley (Wildrose)
DV-CharcoalKilns-02-XL.jpg

detail of a wheel on Old Dinah - steam tractor in Death Valley
DV-FurnaceCreek-09.jpg

Mojave Trail school bus
Mojave-2012-030-X3.jpg

Detail of a large chain from an old digging machine found in Castle Dome, Az
Expoordition-Day03-07-X3.jpg

Door handle from Bodie, I think?
Expoordition-Day03-11-X3.jpg

Old style Sante Fe door
DIG-Sedona02-X2.jpg

Room with a view - Bodie, CA
ExPo_Bodie-2011-23.jpg

More doors, Bodie
ExPo_Bodie-2011-32.jpg

ExPo_Bodie-2011-48.jpg

slowlane

Observer
The old Livermore Falls bridge and pulping mill north of Plymouth, New Hampshire.
This remaining brick mill building is huge probably 80-90 feet above the Pemigawasset River.
16528283306_161456c5ab_c.jpg

A close-up of some of the bridge structure.
15931719994_0102b67da0_c.jpg

Looking through the lower suspension work that supported the deck above. The bridge spans the cliffs across the outlet of the falls and is about 90 or so feet above the river.
16368369867_21a8c38426_c.jpg

Cascade Wanderer

Adventurer
Ovens, out in the Nevada high desert, near Ely:

Abandoned fire station, Douglas County, Washington, and my Triumph:

Abandoned homestead, central Washington:

Remember "The Brick" from Northern Exposure? It's not abandoned, but some derelicts are known to hang out there still...

Abandoned in the Middle Of Nowhere, central Oregon:

Abandoned cabin, along the "Skull and Crossbones" trail, north-central Washington:

Nighthawk, Washington:

Dang, all these were from my bike, not the Jeep!

Regards, Guy

Cascade Wanderer

Adventurer
Stamp Mill, Hwy 97, near Blewett Pass, Washington:

Very sad. Home lost, along with 300 others, in the 2014 fire, Pateros, Okanogan County, Washington:

Abandoned logging equipment, Chelan County, WA:

Regards, Guy

slowlane

Observer
Wow! Terrific shots Slowlane!
Thank you. Here is another abandoned bridge shot. This is from last summer over the White River in southern Indiana. There are quite a few of these old wood deck truss bridges in that area but I believe they are all closed now. 3 years ago I rode my motorcycle across one but this past summer it had a guardrail welded across both sides and was closed. At least they do not seem to be in a huge hurry to demolish them though.
16372304170_fb40863701_c.jpg

Chicken Helmet

Looking For Lost
Hey Guy! Blewett Pass is great. You need to go on foot up the USFS road and see all of the old mining gear. The "No Trespassing" signs on the gate are all bogus.

IMG_9980-1.jpg

That looks like the beginnings of a great roller coaster ride. Would love to explore stuff like this.

siebermd

Adventurer
Here is the Rosewell Plantation in Virginia. It is open for walking tours. It is quite the building and has a very Great Gatsby feeling to it.
IMG_0249.jpg
IMG_0240.jpg
IMG_0241.jpg

Dr. Cornwallis

Adventurer
Here are some pictures I shot of the abandoned Brachs Candy factory while I was in Chicago a few years back. Unfortunately my photography skills were still in their infancy. I also wasn't able to capture nearly as much of the facility as I would liked to have. Massive doesn't even begin to describe the shear size of this place and unfortunately almost all of the machinery is gone, at least in the parts I visited.

x1lr1y.jpg

33lch85.jpg

2ahe3io.jpg

sgo94o.jpg

15zi4vp.jpg

1rfaes.jpg

148k8kz.jpg

25f3zeu.jpg

214bkwp.jpg

9pp4ya.jpg

15x0sx2.jpg

engineerd

Desk Jockey
What a great thread. It's giving me plenty of ideas of places to explore.

Here are a few I took several years ago. I was working at Kennedy Space Center and one of the guys took me on a sort of "behind the scenes" tour to places the general public may not even know exist.

Launch Complex 34 - It was a Saturn I and IB launch site during Apollo. It was the site of the Apollo I fire that claimed the lives of Grissom, White and Chafee on January 27, 1967. It continued to be used for Apollo I and IB launches until the switch to the Apollo V and the move to LC-39. All that remains is the launch pedestal (shown), some flame deflectors, and ruins of the blockhouse.

Pad 34 by engineerd, on Flickr

Pad 34 blockhouse ruins by engineerd, on Flickr

Launch Complex 31 - This is the cap to an old Minuteman silo. It's claim to fame is the remains of the space shuttle Challenger have been entombed below.

Challenger burial site by engineerd, on Flickr

Mate-Demate Structure - Used to load/unload the space shuttles from the modified Boeing 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft. The last time I drove by (might be a few years ago now) it looked like it was still standing.

IMG_2203 by engineerd, on Flickr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94