Abandoned/derelict sites

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
I love it when i find these in the middle of nowhere!

From my latest blog-venture http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/2015/03/hiking-to-hidden-history-of-sierras.html

Abandoned 1924 marker for an abandoned place. :sombrero: Big $250 fine for removal!
IMG_2295-1.jpg

The General Land Office (GLO) was an independent agency of the United States government responsible for public domain lands in the United States. It was created in 1812 to take over functions previously conducted by the United States Department of the Treasury. Starting with the passage of The Land Ordinance of 1785, which created the Public Land Survey System, the Treasury Department had already overseen the survey of the "Northwest Territory" including what is now Ohio.[1]

Placed into the Department of the Interior when that department was formed in 1849, it merged with the United States Grazing Service (established in 1934) to become the Bureau of Land Management on July 16, 1946.

fisher205

Explorer
That is probably not "abandoned". It is the 1/4 section line for Section 8. These markers still define property and need to be left alone.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Wow, $250 in the early 1800's is a pretty steep penalty.

I actually looked it up:

$250 of 1812 dollars would be worth: $4,464.29 in 2014

$250 of 2014 dollars would be worth $14.00 in 1812

teotwaki

Excelsior!
That is probably not "abandoned". It is the 1/4 section line for Section 8. These markers still define property and need to be left alone.

I understand what it is and if you saw where it was it is pretty obvious that nothing lasting has happened in that spot in 91 years. Similar to all of the abandoned mines and towns in that area this "property" has most likely reverted to USFS or National Park Land so the marker is abandoned as far as I can tell. It is in the middle of a section of forest first established as a "primitive area" in 1931 and was then protected as wilderness in the 1964 Wilderness Act. I am interested in matching the marker up to the old GLO records but I've not had time to spend on that pursuit.

Next point is that I don't take things as I'd like the next explorer to have the same thrill of discovery and it is why I oppose people who sell books that specifically reveal the locations of these artifacts. If you ever bother to look through my blog or posts that attitude should be self evident.

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Wow, $250 in the early 1800's is a pretty steep penalty.

I actually looked it up:

$250 of 1812 dollars would be worth: $4,464.29 in 2014

$250 of 2014 dollars would be worth $14.00 in 1812

Specifically it would be $250 of 1924 dollars, right? So $3,472 of our dollars if I followed your method correctly

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Specifically it would be $250 of 1924 dollars, right? So $3,472 of our dollars if I followed your method correctly

Right! The Inflation Calculator I used provided the following:

$250 of 1924 dollars would be worth: $3,472.22 in 2014

$250 of 2014 dollars would be worth $18.00 in 1924

teotwaki

Excelsior!
So back on topic........

In my blog I have a trip that Terawanderer and I took to an aircraft wreck. These four Pratt & Whitney R-1830 Twin Wasp engines are a double row air-cooled radial with 14 cylinders, weigh 1,200 pounds each and are 4 feet in diameter.
DSCN1916-1.jpg

nwoods

Expedition Leader
So back on topic........

In my blog I have a trip that Terawanderer and I took to an aircraft wreck. These four Pratt & Whitney R-1830 Twin Wasp engines are a double row air-cooled radial with 14 cylinders, weigh 1,200 pounds each and are 4 feet in diameter.
DSCN1916-1.jpg

Looks like something from the Matrix part II

There are some really amazing places shown on this thread. One of my favorites that I've explored is the Jackson Sanatorium, also known as The Castle on the Hill, in Dansville NY.

8828925766_6601c160f6_z.jpg

8829007922_ec1b35991a_z.jpg

8829129744_409f0d8896_z.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So back on topic........

What kind of aircraft crash was that?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
What kind of aircraft crash was that?

Pardon me while I whip this out........

"The world was in the throes of a vicious war and the United States Army was purchasing massive fleets of aircraft and training young men to fly them on dangerous missions. One such training facility was in Tonopah, Nevada and the flight crews frequently crossed the Sierras to Army bases in California. One bomber of the AAF's stable was the B-24 of which twelve variations were produced. All told there were 18,482 made and 801 of those were the "E" variant. On June 21st, 1943 one particular B-24E had completed bomb training runs and started into the Sierras with its crew of seven anticipating a quick crossing."

air_liberator2.jpg

"Whether it was turbulence, bad weather, navigation error or mechanical failure the large 4 engined bomber with serial number 42-7118 was reported missing.

It took a while until a Curry Company employee spotted the wreckage on the side of a 12,968 foot Koip Peak. Yosemite Park Rangers Danner and Caster of the Tuolumne Meadow Station organized a party of Forest rangers to bring out the bodies on pack animals, leaving the remains of the ill-fated flight to sink into the glacier."

http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online