Abandoned/derelict sites

teotwaki

Excelsior!
thanks for sharing that

Thank you. Sometimes I am late at getting updates into the blog. I spend time researching background information as well as trying to lay down some words that are worthwhile.

PS: I took the time to search the BLM database and it appears that Alan and I discovered a marker that did not make it into the 2010 survey that attempted to catalog all of the GLO markers in California. Based on the marker's location with respect to the Mount Diablo meridian I am wondering if the position information on the face of the marker is incomplete. I've sent an email to a BLM contact to see if he can shed any light on it.

Last edited:

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Thank you. Sometimes I am late at getting updates into the blog. I spend time researching background information and trying to lay down some words that are worthwhile.

PS: I took the time to search the BLM database and it appears that Alan and I discovered a marker that did not make it into the 2010 survey that attempted to catalog all of the GLO markers in California. Based on the marker's location with respect to the Mount Diablo meridian I am wondering if the position information on the face of the marker is incomplete. I've sent an email to a BLM contact to see if he can shed any light on it.

Very cool.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Very cool.

This is really cool! I hit "paydirt". I've been out to lots of abandoned sites and spotted old survey markers so now I have a little bit better idea of what they represent. For the marker that I showed it did not directly tie into anyone's property or claim. I was able to match it to a 1925 GLO survey document called a "plat"!

The U.S. Surveyor was Dupree R. Averill and the U.S. Transitman was Wesson Cook. Even though the marker says 1924 things moved slower in those days and the document was filed March 9, 1925. Lots of cool annotations such as the scale of "40 Chains to an inch". There were eight Quartz mines listed as mineral claims in one mining district. It looks like the signature of the U.S. Surveyor General for California is John Plover.

Here is Section 8 of the larger drawing and they show the stream to the NE of the center but 91 years later it is definitely to the SE of the marker.
section8-1.jpg

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
This is really cool! I hit "paydirt". I've been out to lots of abandoned sites and spotted old survey markers so now I have a little bit better idea of what they represent. For the marker that I showed it did not directly tie into anyone's property or claim. I was able to match it to a 1925 GLO survey document called a "plat"!

The U.S. Surveyor was Dupree R. Averill and the U.S. Transitman was Wesson Cook. Even though the marker says 1924 things moved slower in those days and the document was filed March 9, 1925. Lots of cool annotations such as the scale of "40 Chains to an inch". There were eight Quartz mines listed as mineral claims in one mining district. It looks like the signature of the U.S. Surveyor General for California is John Plover.

Here is Section 8 of the larger drawing and they show the stream to the NE of the center but 91 years later it is definitely to the SE of the marker.
section8-1.jpg

Extremely fascinating! I LOVE stuff like this!!

teotwaki

Excelsior!
This is a medium sized crossover station of the famous Salt Tram that ran 13 miles from Death Valley, crossing the Inyos and terminating near the Owens Lake bed. You won't see many photos of it because it is difficult to reach as opposed to the much more easily visited crossover station on the Inyos that has numerous photos all over the web. In this photo you can see someone sitting in the shade to give you a sense of scale.
Inyos_Expedition_Sept2010+143.jpg

source: http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/2010/10/inyo-range-salt-tram-expedition_05.html

teotwaki

Excelsior!
The tramkeeper's station for the Salt Tram was a home located at the peak height of the tramway, almost 9,000 feet high. This historic photo shows it when it was occupied, looking in from the south side of the building.
318.Par.84913.Image.-1.-1.1.gif

Here it is from the south with respect to the tramway crossover station which was mostly covered in corrugated steel.
cabin-arrow.JPG

It was abandoned for about 50 years and high winds tore the roof off.
318.Par.92330.Image.600.387.1.gif

Back when the BLM was not opposed to preservation of mining structures an effort was made to stabilize and restore the cabin.
Jim%27s+Camera+123.jpg

More photos and info here: http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/2010/10/salt-tram-cabin.html

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Two weekends ago I went out just a bit east of Soda Lake in Mojave and played around at Aikens Cinder Mine. This mine ran from 1948 to 1990 or so, and has a lot of equipment laying about. It used to be the site of the old Telephone Booth in the middle of the Mojave, though the booth is no longer there.
Link to history: http://deathvalleyjim.com/2014/02/05/aiken-cinder-mine-mojave-national-preserve/

Images (iphone):
Hopper chute discharge area. There are three grades of cinder material evident, and a separate conveyor system for each
Aikens-Mine-01.jpg

Aikens-Mine-02.jpg

Nice shot of the scale of the apparatus
Aikens-Mine-03.jpg

Pano of the mine works
Aikens-Mine-04.jpg

Its just cool
Aikens-Mine-05.jpg

Teenagers.
Aikens-Mine-06.jpg

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Thats kind of funny that there's food on the shelf. At the various old cabins in the KofA NWR there is a tradition of people leaving canned food on the shelves for anyone who passes through that may be in a pinch. I would always leave a can of sardines, tuna or soup etc...

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Hopefully newer food than this stuff!! :elkgrin:

Come on folks! Dig out more pix of the cool old places that you have been to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne