Abandoned/derelict sites

xndrxw

Observer
Fort Proctor. Located in Shell Beach, LA. Don't use cheap Chinese camera lenses, they will ruin a possible once in a lifetime photo.
Kq4u0kc.jpg

grogie

Like to Camp
This was a neat old high school I drove by in western Indiana. It looks like a new roof was put on and the brick exterior is in good condition. The wood work such as at the front door needs to be redone. Currently from looking inside someone is using the school for storing a lot of junk.

What I found interesting is that there wasn't much around it? A few houses and farms. When it was built, I'd assume that it was thought that it was a growing area that needed a large school or simply had a lot of large families around it? At some point the growth didn't occur and/or the families moved out.

I've always thought if I was well to do, I'd find an old school like this to restore and run a business from. It would be interesting to see what the junk is inside it? Some old guy's treasures I'm sure. :)

a9067263-8738-4247-95b7-a33622d70b7a.jpg

5eb4b92f-20c0-498f-abdf-0a9ec35c5c51.jpg

58228c97-0267-45d3-8c5d-7b56111014e9.jpg

grogie

Like to Camp
An old barn near the above school. My dad grew up on a mid-western fruit farm, and he often left high school at Noon to go home and work on the farm. I can see my dad working around this kind of a barn.

6b27d414-9172-4b30-9961-bbe467183e39.jpg

Neat old cabin also nearby. It clearly had a no trespassing sign and a dog at a nearby house began to bark when I stopped for this picture. I used a zoom lens. :)

4eaf24d8-9180-48ba-94a7-76dc62a64e7f.jpg

An original cabin that a family once lived in at TC Steele State Park near Bloomington, IN. It has massive trees around it, which as I was told, it use to be open farm land back in the day.

707813c5-049b-4c36-8f2f-6a066b985081.jpg

teje

IMAG1362.jpg

IMAG1377.jpg

IMAG1360.jpg

IMAG1357.jpg

IMAG1353.jpg

IMAG1353.jpg

IMAG1235.jpg

IMAG1228.jpg

IMAG1225.jpg

IMAG1179.jpg

These are a few pictures I took in 2012 when my husband and I were in Colorado. These were in and around the ghost town called Animas Forks. These ones I took with my cell phone. Told my husband now that I have a good camera would love to revisit.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Here are a couple old ship hulls sitting in the Saginaw River. They were basically "leftovers" waiting for repair when the Davidson Shipyard closed in 132. The boats were burned to the waterlines sometime in the 50s.

1271820_10200751623793522_321791239_o.jpg

Bushmaster6

Adventurer
Some relics in vicinity of the Pennsylvania mine, CO. I found it interesting that the INgersol-Rand machines were stamped "New York".. as a former New Yorker, it was almost surprising to consider the state as a home to industrial manufacturing.
Untitled-4.jpg

201208pennmineengine2-1.jpg

201208pennminecarbody-1.jpg

201208pennmineengine2-1.jpg
[/IMG]
further up the road, Horseshoe basin:
201208horseshoebasinhomestead1-1.jpg

homestead below the New London mine, Mosquito Pass, CO:
201208mosqpassruins3-1.jpg

201208mosqpassruinssmall-1.jpg

201208mosqpassruinskazkids-1.jpg

201208mosqpassruinsview-1.jpg

Bushmaster6

Adventurer
not really abandoned but... the Beckwith Ranch in Wet Valley, CO, below the Sangre de Cristo range (one of my favorite drives):
201209beckwithranch8.jpg

201209beckwithranch1.jpg

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I love those old name plates. Back when manufacturing was in the States and they were proud to show it off. Now-a-days they hide it very small if it's even there

Vegas_Nick

Adventurer
That picture needs a little explaining. It's not actually a door but rather a wood air control wall. These are put in place (and often moved) when a mine is operating to control airflow and keep fresh air moving in active parts of the mine. Since part of our work involves detailed mapping, we have to gain access to any closed off sections in order to be accurate and properly document the true structure of the mine. Our goal is the documentation and preservation of abandoned mines so we only open walls or sealed areas when absolutely necessary.

The issue with the BLM (and other agencies) was their monitoring of our web site and Facebook page in order to identify mines for reclamation (which almost always means permanent closure). With regard to mining claims, only patented claims are real property. Placer and lode claims must be renewed every year (and are also supposed to have ongoing mining or site improvement activities). They are not real property and only give claim holders certain rights.

Unfortunately I am more worried about Homeland Security or ATF closing the UEC-129 now due to some do-gooder a$$hole on Facebook reporting live dynamite in the mine. Sorry, no dynamite, but core samples in TNT boxes

DVD

Adventurer
This is such a big site. I've never spent much time in this photography forum, but the title of this thread caught my eye after our recent trip to Swansea ghost town in west central AZ.
Coincidentally, I captioned the following photo "Dilapidation and decay against the desert backdrop."

DSCN0394.JPG

Here are some more pertinent photos to the theme:

DSCN0361.JPG

House remnants

DSCN0364.JPG

Rusting bed springs behind the housing area

DSCN0366.JPG

This rusted car hulk caught my eye

DSCN0369.JPG

View from the inside of the same car

DSCN0401.JPG

Cool lettering for the "reverberatory" ca 1913

DSCN0449.JPG

Railroad scales, with station in the background

Hope you enjoy.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Neat photos DVD. I was hoping to find something like that when I was in Apache Junction last February but I didn't get much research time.

teje

anequnur.jpg

4unyrusu.jpg

These were from our drive today. The first is the old gymnasium in Klein Montana about a mile from our house. The other is what looks to be a old farm settlement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

WininUtah

Adventurer
This an old Forest Service cabin outside of Browse, UT., note the sign! Really unique is a Sequoia tree that grows behind it, one of only a few in Utah.

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles