Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Full Size (LARGE) Family Adventure Rig - Selection Question

I've always liked the Montero's. Didn't realize they had 3rd row capabilities.

Honestly this purchase "MAY" be closer than expected as my wife's van is starting to gasp.

While a Montero wouldn't be a bad choice a friend in town has really been showing off with his 08 Sequoia. Mild lift - 33"s. yummy indeed.

But we'll see. I'd prefer my original time frame of another year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Loco-Nomad View Post
    I would look at more comfortable vehicles for your passengers (wife and kids) like a diesel Excursion or older 3/4 ton Suburban. I have 6 in my family, 4 are kids, one with special needs and I just traded my suburban for a 1 ton Dodge Cummins Quad cab pick up. I prefer the pickup for hauling and it fits my current needs for interior space and passenger comfort. The Jeep is just too small for that in my opinion.
    I am in the same boat as you are..... almost exactly! I've got 4 kids, one with special needs, and am currently driving a Suburban. I'm looking to get something else to turn into an Expedition Rig (Burb is an 07, yay crappy IFS). I've been checking out the older 89-91 model Suburbans, as well as the excursion, some newer double cab pickups, LR Discoverys, and a few Land Cruisers.

I just can't make up my mind. I want this rig to go anywhere, PERIOD, meaning I want it to be able to get into some crap (if I decide), and have enough to get out. I realize the benefits of the smaller SUVs, but can't seem to break myself of the Larger sized ones.

I love having all the extra room, BUT, don't want it to be the downfall of the rig while out somewhere in the wilderness.

I want diesel, but it's not a necessity. I do want a V8.

Any advice to solve this dilemma?????

pskhaat is offline Expedition Portal Moderator 2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
    First, may we please change your username?
    Pskhaat (Scott)
    UZJ100 "Mama Kuiser" built to look cool for the soccer mom
    FZJ80 über rare "Geen", cloth'd & locked

Quote Originally Posted by pskhaat View Post
    First, may we please change your username?
    You're the moderator, you can do whatever you need

How about

SlowChevy07

Quote Originally Posted by SlowChevy07 View Post
    You're the moderator, you can do whatever you need

How about

SlowChevy07

Name changed.
    ~/\ ☼
    / -- \
    Pete Hartl - VE6PGH - 0VRLAND

EXPEDITION = (Encounters + Adventures + Experiences) x YOU

I am biased towards the Excursion/ Suburban. I run a Diesel Excursion with a three kids ( all in kids seats) and still have room for more in the middle seats. You can also pull out the third row and fold down the middle seats and have almost a 8' bed to put stuff in when you don't have the family to haul. I just got back from running around in Steamboat Springs, CO and had plenty of room for all of the gear and the family. I do run a cargo carrier on top for the camping and fishing gear. I still am working on the lift options to bring it up a little so I can fit some 285s on it. Also at 17 mpg, tons of power and a 44 gal tank, you can reach out and do about 800 miles on a tank. I admit I am a Land Cruiser fan but the Ex fell in my lap and I couldn't refuse the offer for my F-350.

Quote Originally Posted by weberjeff View Post
    I am biased towards the Excursion/ Suburban. I run a Diesel Excursion with a three kids ( all in kids seats) and still have room for more in the middle seats. You can also pull out the third row and fold down the middle seats and have almost a 8' bed to put stuff in when you don't have the family to haul. I just got back from running around in Steamboat Springs, CO and had plenty of room for all of the gear and the family. I do run a cargo carrier on top for the camping and fishing gear. I still am working on the lift options to bring it up a little so I can fit some 285s on it. Also at 17 mpg, tons of power and a 44 gal tank, you can reach out and do about 800 miles on a tank. I admit I am a Land Cruiser fan but the Ex fell in my lap and I couldn't refuse the offer for my F-350.
    I'm leaning towards an Excursion now after doing some digging. They've got all the room I want, solid axles, diesel, and great fuel capacity.

I'm leaning towards an Excursion now after doing some digging. They've got all the room I want, solid axles, diesel, and great fuel capacity.
    My advice would to look for one that has been taken care of. There are plenty of Excursion owners out there. If you go with the 6.0L Diesel, just make sure you get it checked out and have a thorough review of the engine. Go with a 2005, if possible in with the 6.0. If you can find a 2002 - 2003 with a 7.3L Diesel then you will have a strong reliable engine. I like what I have and look forward to building it into a family adventure vehicle that can tow a small trailer for our outings.

Quote Originally Posted by weberjeff View Post
    My advice would to look for one that has been taken care of. There are plenty of Excursion owners out there. If you go with the 6.0L Diesel, just make sure you get it checked out and have a thorough review of the engine. Go with a 2005, if possible in with the 6.0. If you can find a 2002 - 2003 with a 7.3L Diesel then you will have a strong reliable engine. I like what I have and look forward to building it into a family adventure vehicle that can tow a small trailer for our outings.
    Is there anything in particular that I should look out for? I'm not familiar with Diesels at all!

Is there anything in particular that I should look out for? I'm not familiar with Diesels at all!
    If you decide to lock in on the Excursion Diesel then you will want to take a look at some of the other sites and start learning about the maintainence required to keep your diesel reliable. Oil and Fuel filtering is critical to the 6.0L. Differnt forums out there go into great detail on the diesel world. Some sites to review are
    Ford Truck Enthusist --http://www.ford-trucks.com/
    The Diesel Stop -- http://www.thedieselstop.com/

Ford Truck Enthusist has a specific Excursion set of forums that can be a good reference for the Excursion itself. It can be a good reference and some good ideas on how to improve the suspension and other good things you can do with the truck. Since the diesel engines are shared with the 2000 - 2005 Superduty Pickups (F-250, F-350), The Diesel Stop has both 7.3L and 6.0L forums to learn about the strenghts and weaknesses of both.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast