Germany fabrication help...Please?

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Hi Guys,
I just got to German (Grafenwohr/Bavaria) and I need help. Does anyone know of a fabrication shop or some place that could bend some tubing for me? I need to make a roof rack for My Scrambler but I need the tubing bent for me. I brought my welder and plasma etc.. but have no way to make the hoops. I don't need fancy... just some basic 90*.... Please let me know if you have any knowledge to pass along. Thanks!
ted_yrizarry_john@yahoo.com if thats easier to do directly? Thanks Guys!

apexcamper

Carefully scripted chaos
I know it is kinda a drive, but the Nakatenenga guys have a shop in Neumarkt I D Oberpfalz right off the A3. Have no knowledge of anything about them other than I have seen the shop and seen this video on youtube Nakatanenga, but at the least it might be worth a call.
I just got to Germany myself (Hohenfels area). Once I get my Range Rover Classic trail ready, I would love to take some trips

BlueGerbil

C´est le gerbil plus bleu
I know it is kinda a drive, but the Nakatenenga guys have a shop in Neumarkt I D Oberpfalz right off the A3. Have no knowledge of anything about them other than I have seen the shop and seen this video on youtube Nakatanenga, but at the least it might be worth a call.
I just got to Germany myself (Hohenfels area). Once I get my Range Rover Classic trail ready, I would love to take some trips

I´m working for Nakatanenga (as a sales guy) - yeah, sure, we have a fully equipped fab shop, so shoot me a mail jl@nakatanenga.de

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
great info...

Thanks guys...What a great bunch of intel! Jan, I shot you an email with a general question so we can communicate that way. I will also shoot the guy in Grafenwohr a call just to see what he does...But if hes not used to what we do here on the portal and his English is rusty I may have an issue...lol! Thanks again everyone! Cheers!
Ted

burn_e

Adventurer
But if hes not used to what we do here on the portal and his English is rusty I may have an issue...lol! Thanks again everyone! Cheers!
Ted

I am confident that you will find someone in the country that is worldwide respected for its engineering who is on par with your requirements.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Yessir... Thanks for the positive support. I'm sure there are plenty of places. I only meant that since I'm new and lack the words I'n German to explain what I'm after i just don't want to go to a shop and waste their time if they don't understandwhat I'm doing. The fault is mine since I'm the guest here. :)

burn_e

Adventurer
The good thing is, the there is a good DIY culture in Germany and therefore you have access to lots of quality material.

If you are talented with saw, welder and grinder you might just get your material in shop which are called

"Eisenwarenhandel" "Schlosserei" "Metallbau" etc.

they will sell you usually standardised materials like pipe, bends etc in all qualities and shapes.

And last but not least: If you really want to enjoy Germany brush up on some language basics. Its alright to make your way in the bigger cities, but gets a bit more difficult outside of them. And despite the rumours "WE" appreciate everyone who tries to learn German.
Have a great time there.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
phone book??

Hey Burn E,
Thanks for the pointers. I agree that one should learn at least some of the local language of the country they are visiting. I am trying but honestly I'm not one that picks up languages very easily. Most of the German words/phrases I know now (feel free to laugh) have come from TV and movies over the years...haha!
I was wondering how I should go about looking for the manes you gave me? Is there a buiseness phone book in Germany or should I google it? I will try the simplest route, asking around, first and hopefully I can turn up something...Thanks Again!
Ted

Holger

Observer
Mate, I am German an come from Nuernberg, I am 100% sure somebody is able to help you in Grafenwoehr or the surrounding villages, otherwise either in Nuernberg, or Bayreuth. Every little village has somebody to fix the tractors and so on. The' Gelbe Seiten' (yellow pages) tell you where.

First thing I googled:

Eismann Karl-Heinz Bauschlosserei

Parksteiner Weg 7, 92655 Grafenwöhr

Tel/Fax: (09641) 39 09

Otherwise 'Taubenreuter' is the ARB inporter for germany, they are in Bayreuth (half an hour away). They are fully equipped and fully deck out 4x4. They surely can help.

But if you ask for Schmied, Schlosser or Schlosserei you'll find somebody locally for sure.
Otherwise PM me and I find you somebody in Nuernberg.
The advantage of going to a small local shop is that they normally try to help you out, and do it for chep, while the big company's charge hourly rates ect.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
So i had a not so busy day today and drive through Grafenwohr. I found the welding shop and had a chance to speak with the guy there a little bit. First off, considering his shop is I'n a residential area i was Shocked at the amount of equipment he had there! Holy Cow!! Huge old, well used Mills and shears and even a forklift! I had a mental image of a small, basic metal works place but this was incredible! So i explained what i was trying to do and he was very friendly and his English was good enough that even my poor description was understood. :) so i will sit down this evening and attempt to sketch out some basic ideas for him to work from. I'm not 100% sure exactly how my RTT mounts or what the best configuration of the rack is but if anyone has any input, I'm all ears! I am hoping to do 3 basic things with the design. As my Jeep is already over tall i hope to keep it pretty close to the hard top. That being said, i need the rack to be either "hingeable" or removable to allow me to still go topless. And obviously it has to be strong enough and able to mount the RTT. And it goes without saying that i must be able to afford it. ;)
I had a really hard time looking at some of the stuff he had I'n his shop. Apparently he does a good bit of work with stainless steel... Ooooh! How cool would a never rusting rack be?!? But i imagine that would be WAY out of my price range.. Haha!
So the last thing i could use advice on is mounting the tent. Since the beast sits so high i was thinking of having it flip open to where the I'n supported side goes to the rear and acts as an awning when deployed. To either side I'd think i would have wobbling issues at least greater than I'n line with the Jeep. And going forward towards the hood seems like it would require anything else I'n/on the rack to be removed. So if anyone has any thoughts please feel free to chime I'n... And as always, Thanks everyone for the great advice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles