What size deep cycle battery?

Stereo

Adventurer
Funky wiring illustrated

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. Thank you, once again, DWH, for your detailed and clear explanations. MakersTeleMark, I’d love to take you up on a tour of your rig. Where in Colorado are you located?

I finally found time to trace the wiring in my slide-in camper. The shore power cable splits into 1) a 120v outlet on the converter panel, 2) an accessory 120v outlet (probably added by a previous owner), and 3) the converter itself.

Three sets of 12v wires come out of the converter. One cable with positive and negative wires goes to the furnace to power the blower fan which I previously didn’t think I had. There’s a 4amp fuse within the heater assembly so I assume that’s the amount the fan draws.

Another cable serves the interior lights. A previous owner pigtailed the clearance lights into this cable which makes no sense to me. Why would you want the clearance lights on when you’re inside the camper? That would be a waste of power. So….

I disconnected the clearance lights from the interior light circuit. But I don’t know how to wire the clearance lights to my truck so they’ll function while I’m driving. Or maybe I’ll just leave them off. I don’t see any real purpose for them, unless there’s a law requiring them. If I do want to wire them, how would I do that? Currently, only one side works, though I think they’re all wired together because there are no other circuits. If half isn’t working because of a short, what do I look for to identify the short?

Here’s a diagram of the fuse/bus bar panel:

View attachment Wiring diagram.pdf

From your best guess, DWH, I understand that the lamp wire ties into the panel at the bottom right, passes through the fuse to the black jumper wire that then energizes the bus panel when I’m running off the battery. The yellow wire (which leads to a 12v accessory outlet) draws current from the bus bar across a fuse. When I’m on shore power, the red wire from the converter powers the bus bar with 12v current converted from the 120v shore power. If the battery is not fully charged, it will also trickle power to the battery through the bus bar.

Regarding the mystery blue wire, it is indeed wired to the neutral terminal. When I disconnected it and switched to battery power, fixtures no longer worked. On shore power with the blue wire disconnected, everything still worked. I’m wondering if the white wire the blue wire shares a terminal with should go directly to the neutral terminal. What purpose does it have in its current location?

Actually, the four fuse locations below the bus bar are a mystery to me. If only the four terminals in line with the bus bar are hot, of what use are the lower four terminals? Do they just allow for a fuse if a circuit was passed through them? Wouldn’t there need to be a wire on the other side of the fuse to complete the circuit? I don’t understand why the white wire from the converter is there. The green wire on the other side of the fuse goes to a disconnected cable that’s loose in the propane storage area along with the positive and negative wires of a cable. I don’t know what this cable might have been hooked up to.

Here’s another wiring quirk. A former owner wired a new faucet pump into the red and white wires coming off the converter. It works off battery power but not shore power. I’m guessing that’s because when no power is being converted, there’s not enough power passing through the wires for it to work. I’ll undo that and hook it directly to the panel since I have an extra space opposite the bus bar. If I’m correct in this plan, what size fuse should I install?

For now, I’m sticking with this converter. I don't have a lot of money to spend and I don’t foresee our electrical needs growing anytime soon. Until we got this camper, we were tent campers working off flashlights and battery-operated lanterns. If we decide to install a frig, by your recommendation, it will run on propane.

I just purchased a "cheap" 105ah marine battery from Walmart (unknown discharge rate). Others have said it works OK for them. I understand it’s not a true deep cycle battery, but rather a hybrid. To avoid using the converter to (partially) charge the battery, I ordered a $60 Vector 1089A 5/10/15 smart charger on Ebay. However, I just discovered the order got cancelled without explanation so if this charger is not a good choice, I’d appreciate feedback.

I do want to ensure my understanding of how to wire the battery so as to get rid of the jump wire. Am I correct that I should take the battery wire (a new #10) directly to the left side of the panel, below the red wire from the converter, and install a 30a fuse? Also, I’ll replace the lamp wire to the neutral terminal with new #10. I’ll probably build a battery box that I can secure to the camper from the outside to hopefully keep it from getting stolen while locating it outside for proper venting.

I have lots of other projects to tackle both inside and outside the camper. This weekend will allow me some time to work on those. At some point down the line, I’ll be picking your brains again about creating a solar charging system. For now, the mountains are stuffed with almost 250% of their average snow pack so it will be awhile before I get up there.

Thanks again for your help and expertise. Have a great holiday weekend!

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
For the exterior clearance lights, you can wire them to your trailer connector if you have one on the truck. They're not required but that's an easy way to connect them without doing too much butch-hackery of the truck's wiring.

A solar-charger is pretty simple. It just consists of a panel and a solar charge controller. The charge controller maintains the battery voltage. It connects the panel when the voltage drops below about 13v and disconnects at about 14.2v to keep from over-charging the battery and damaging it. I got my panel off E-bay and built mounts for it out of an old swingset swing my Dad still had lying around. The charge controller I have isn't sold any more but here's a budget one:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=DkbeTYLMNoyEtgfS5ZGKCg&ved=0CE0Q8wIwAQ

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. Thank you, once again, DWH, for your detailed and clear explanations. MakersTeleMark, I’d love to take you up on a tour of your rig. Where in Colorado are you located?

You must be thinking of someone else. I live in California.

Currently, only one side works, though I think they’re all wired together because there are no other circuits. If half isn’t working because of a short, what do I look for to identify the short?

"Short" means just that. The circuit isn't as "long" as it used to be. I.e., the power is getting back by some means other than what was intended.

So a short would be if a hot was touching a ground. That would (if the wiring was proper) cause the fuse to pop or breaker to trip.

Since some of the lights work and don't pop any fuses, then what you've likely got is a loose connection somewhere rather than a short.

From your best guess, DWH, I understand that the lamp wire ties into the panel at the bottom right, passes through the fuse to the black jumper wire that then energizes the bus panel when I’m running off the battery. The yellow wire (which leads to a 12v accessory outlet) draws current from the bus bar across a fuse. When I’m on shore power, the red wire from the converter powers the bus bar with 12v current converted from the 120v shore power. If the battery is not fully charged, it will also trickle power to the battery through the bus bar.

You got it.

Regarding the mystery blue wire, it is indeed wired to the neutral terminal. When I disconnected it and switched to battery power, fixtures no longer worked. On shore power with the blue wire disconnected, everything still worked. I’m wondering if the white wire the blue wire shares a terminal with should go directly to the neutral terminal. What purpose does it have in its current location?

Right. So that blue wire is basically just an extension of the white wire up to the negative terminal.

Yes, normally, the converter negative should go directly to the negative terminal. For some reason, they first landed it at one end of a fuse and then used the blue to extend it up to the terminal.

Maybe there was some device connected in the propane box that required a fused negative? Whatever that green wire went to. But since that green wire is now disconnected, the fuse does nothing.

Actually, the four fuse locations below the bus bar are a mystery to me. If only the four terminals in line with the bus bar are hot, of what use are the lower four terminals? Do they just allow for a fuse if a circuit was passed through them?

Yup. that's a common setup. It's for convenience. You can send a single feed to the upper bus bar to feed four circuits, and also use the lower slots to fuse individual circuits as needed.

Wouldn’t there need to be a wire on the other side of the fuse to complete the circuit?

Aye.

I don’t understand why the white wire from the converter is there. The green wire on the other side of the fuse goes to a disconnected cable that’s loose in the propane storage area along with the positive and negative wires of a cable. I don’t know what this cable might have been hooked up to.

One of life's little mysteries. Doesn't matter now - whatever was there is long gone.

Here’s another wiring quirk. A former owner wired a new faucet pump into the red and white wires coming off the converter. It works off battery power but not shore power. I’m guessing that’s because when no power is being converted, there’s not enough power passing through the wires for it to work. I’ll undo that and hook it directly to the panel since I have an extra space opposite the bus bar. If I’m correct in this plan, what size fuse should I install?

You should connect the positive to one of the fuses coming from the bus bar. That way it has power all the time from the battery. The negative should connect with the other negatives at the terminal.

As for fuse size...well the purpose of a fuse or breaker is to protect the WIRE. Devices that need fuse protection will have their own fuses. So the fuse size you need depends on the size of the wire to the water pump. If you can get a make/model for the pump, then you can find out exactly.

Nevertheless, if the pump is on its own fuse, then the fuse doesn't have to accommodate several loads so you can size it just for the pump. I would start with a 10a and bump it up only if the 10a was popping.

I wonder about that converter. You say there are 3 pairs of 12v coming out of it? It is some sort of power center and perhaps has its own fuse block?

To avoid using the converter to (partially) charge the battery, I ordered a $60 Vector 1089A 5/10/15 smart charger on Ebay. However, I just discovered the order got cancelled without explanation so if this charger is not a good choice, I’d appreciate feedback.

That charger should work fine. The main issue to be aware of is that newer, supposedly smarter, battery chargers will sometimes not charge a deeply discharged battery. They fire up and hit that heavy resistance and just shut down. There are a few tricks to get around that, such as paralleling a second battery that is charged and then turn on the charger. After a while, the low battery comes up enough that the charger will charge it without shutting down and you can then unhook the slaved battery.

The only other issue I can think of, is that those types of chargers often come on in minimum power mode when powered up (to protect the battery), and you have to diddle the control panel to get it into high power mode every time you plug it in.

I do want to ensure my understanding of how to wire the battery so as to get rid of the jump wire. Am I correct that I should take the battery wire (a new #10) directly to the left side of the panel, below the red wire from the converter, and install a 30a fuse? Also, I’ll replace the lamp wire to the neutral terminal with new #10.

That'll work. Personally, i wouldn't do it exactly that way.

I would run the #10 positive from the battery though a 30a Bussman Type 2 breaker, and then from the breaker to that screw terminal on the top right of the bus bar.

http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/d60.html

In fact, in my camper, there is a #8 running from the aux battery though a 50a Bussman Type 2 breaker to feed the aux fuse block.

I prefer the Type 2 because it won't auto-reset. Type 1 auto-resets, Type 2 resets only after power has been removed, Type 3 has a push button reset.

You can find those breakers at any auto parts store for about 5 bucks. If they don't have a Type 2, then go with a Type 1. I prefer the Type 2 because if it trips, I don't want it coming back on until I've had a chance to take a look. But that's just a personal preference and not a law of nature. Type 1 is fine too.

At some point down the line, I’ll be picking your brains again about creating a solar charging system.

There is a lot of good info on this forum about solar, and many folks who know it intimately, so when the time comes - no worries.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Ahh. My bad. Read it wrong. I though you were saying the the maker of the converter was "Telemark".

Stereo

Adventurer
Wrap up

THANKS A MILLION! With all your help, I've learned all I need to know at this point to get the job done right. DWH, your posts have been detailed and easy to understand. You went above and beyond every time I needed an answer. Tanglewood, you added great information. MakersTelemark, I look forward to meeting with you and checking out your rig.

You're right, my system is labeled as a "power" center, though at 6 amps, it ain't too powerful. :elkgrin:

I wasn't sure exactly where to look for a trailer connector but checked around the battery and underneath the bed near the bumper and didn't see anything so I'll forgo the clearance lights for now. I don't see the need for them for a slide-in. If I was pulling a trailer, they'd be critical.

Solar DOES sound straightforward so I may get to that sooner than later! I'll be shopping for panels when the sun goes down.

I'll be purchasing the Schumacher XCS15 15/10/2 Marine Battery Charger from Wally's for $50. Thanks DWH for tips on how to deal with possible quirks in the smart chargers.

If you're reading this thread and you're a newb like me and would like information on how to monitor, maintain, charge, and otherwise use your battery, check out the great information here:
http://www.batterychargers.com/Content.aspx?PageName=Education

OK, time to roll up my sleeves and get at it. Yeah!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke