MAXTRAX vs Smittybilt Element traction devices

libarata

Expedition Leader
So the MAXTRAX are Australian, and the SmittyBuilt are Chinese... Do we have any American options?

zscott

Adventurer
I am sure that the smittybilts vary in quality. When I first bought mine it was before I had seen all the reviews, but I have used mine multiple times now in snow and mud, with small cars, large trucks and midsize pickups including my own tacoma. Every time they have worked exceptionally well and I have had no cracking or anything. I am sure that the Maxtrax are better built but for the money I don't think I will ever buy Maxtrax. The smittybilt serve my purposes fine and are much cheaper. I would like to get a pair of TREDs though and try them.

bdichristina

Bobby D.
So the MAXTRAX are Australian, and the SmittyBuilt are Chinese... Do we have any American options?

American options include the MAXSA Innovations 20333 Escaper Buddy. I bought mine on Amazon for about half the price of MaxTrax. They are extremely durable and very well made.

Maxsa.jpg
IMAG1596.jpg
IMAG1597.jpg
IMAG1595.jpg
IMAG1600.jpg

Mo4130

Adventurer
I should have taken my own advice and did it right the first time. I had to use my treds the other day to get be up a steep muddy trail, and of them cracked litterally the first time i drove over it. I wasnt using it as a bridging latter or anything. Yes they helped me get out, BUT i dont want to have to replace them everytime i use them. I will be getting maxtrax, hands down.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I should have taken my own advice and did it right the first time. I had to use my treds the other day to get be up a steep muddy trail, and of them cracked litterally the first time i drove over it. I wasnt using it as a bridging latter or anything. Yes they helped me get out, BUT i dont want to have to replace them everytime i use them. I will be getting maxtrax, hands down.

That is too bad a costly product failed you but at least you were not counting on them to recover you in the middle of nowhere when it happened. I don't recommend Maxtrax because I think they are the best, rather I know they are the best. Saved our bacon on more than one occasion.

stingray1300

Explorer

Which ones are you referring to, Maxas or Smittybuilts?

Don't they come with a guarantee? I mean c'mon... the first time you use them???

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Which ones are you referring to, Maxas or Smittybuilts?

Don't they come with a guarantee? I mean c'mon... the first time you use them???

He has the TREDS: http://www.tred4x4.com/

I've given a lot of thought to the MAXSA tracks. They are about half the price of the Maxtrax, and seem to be well made. I've never seen them in person though. I was planning on buying a set for my dad's Polaris RZR to see how well they work :D

For my truck, I think you really can't beat the Maxtrax.

Mo4130

Adventurer
That is too bad a costly product failed you but at least you were not counting on them to recover you in the middle of nowhere when it happened. I don't recommend Maxtrax because I think they are the best, rather I know they are the best. Saved our bacon on more than one occasion.

Might as well of been. In the middle of a narrow 20 mile long trail in the olympic mountains we one end of the trail was impassible due to logging activity. But yes. I am getting maxtrax.

9uhuju5y.jpg

I've had the pleasure of meeting and doing some off roading with Brad McCarthy, inventor and owner of Maxtrax.
Brad is a avid off road adventurer, travel author and understands what we do. He spent years testing and developing Maxtrax. Brad, Ben Meddows or any of the Maxtrax team in the US truly live for this sport and can provide detailed advise on everything from tires to all ARB products, camping gear and off road racing.

Smittybilt, is a Chinese company that does not test or develop products. They steal and copy almost everything in their catalogue. Without the overhead of testing and development, and because it's made in China - they can do it for less money. I had the opportunity to talk with the Smittybilt VP of sales 3 years ago at SEMA and he couldn't answer basic questions and was too busy taking pictures of new products being release for the first time. So if you ever want to see what the newest Smittybilt product is going to be, attend the 2014 SEMA show in Las Vegas (4-7 November) and just watch what product the Smittybilt guys show an interest in, because they will take it back to china, reverse engineer and modify it just enough to avoid any (or try to avoid) copy right law suits. So just out of principle, I will never buy anything with the Smittybilt name on it.

Steve Simpson
Stafford, Virginia

Mo4130

Adventurer
Truth on the above comment 100%. The Chinese do the same thing at farm equipment shows. Kubuta always has last years john Deere. I should have listened to my own advice, do it right the first time, because now for a set of maxtrax sits going to effectively cost me 900 bucks. That being said the TREDs got me out and they are also Australian made, but there is a reason they are half the price of maxtrax.

grogie

Like to Camp
9uhuju5y.jpg

I've had the pleasure of meeting and doing some off roading with Brad McCarthy, inventor and owner of Maxtrax.
Brad is a avid off road adventurer, travel author and understands what we do. He spent years testing and developing Maxtrax. Brad, Ben Meddows or any of the Maxtrax team in the US truly live for this sport and can provide detailed advise on everything from tires to all ARB products, camping gear and off road racing.

Smittybilt, is a Chinese company that does not test or develop products. They steal and copy almost everything in their catalogue. Without the overhead of testing and development, and because it's made in China - they can do it for less money. I had the opportunity to talk with the Smittybilt VP of sales 3 years ago at SEMA and he couldn't answer basic questions and was too busy taking pictures of new products being release for the first time. So if you ever want to see what the newest Smittybilt product is going to be, attend the 2014 SEMA show in Las Vegas (4-7 November) and just watch what product the Smittybilt guys show an interest in, because they will take it back to china, reverse engineer and modify it just enough to avoid any (or try to avoid) copy right law suits. So just out of principle, I will never buy anything with the Smittybilt name on it.

Steve Simpson
Stafford, Virginia

Thanks. Worth quoting. And a set of Maxtrax are on my Jeep. :)

stingray1300

Explorer
Truth on the above comment 100%. The Chinese do the same thing at farm equipment shows. Kubuta always has last years john Deere. I should have listened to my own advice, do it right the first time, because now for a set of maxtrax sits going to effectively cost me 900 bucks. That being said the TREDs got me out and they are also Australian made, but there is a reason they are half the price of maxtrax.

Just an FYI, the TRED website boldly displays a "Lifetime Warranty" banner. Even if you don't use them, you could get replacements and sell them.
Just a thought.

Where to buy MaxTrax though?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles