Mounting options for tent, pics please.

wingysataday

Adventurer
I have an open utility based expo trailer and was wondering what people were running for cross bars and things. I spoke to the Yakima rep and his setup was about $325 I almost died laughing. The Yakima set-up included tracks that would go the length of the trailer to adjust the bars and towers. Sounds nice but not for $325.

I would like to be able to remove the cross bars because I use my trailer to haul stuff as well as expo. It would be nice to incorporate the yakima cross bars somehow, but not vital.
Minimal fabrication would be nice and I was thinking of using electrical conduit?

DrMoab

Explorer
I built a rack. It's 1.25 inch C channel on each side with 1 inch square tubing that happens to fit perfectly inside of the C of the C channel. It's the length and width of my trailer. Super easy to fab up with minimal welding and super strong.

DividingCreek

Explorer
Was @ the ROAV Spring Rally @ The Cove last weekend and a guy there had an old 416 trailer with a roof top tent mounted to what he said was a cheap ladder rack for pickups from pep boys. I'm sure he had modified it somehow but it looked to be made for the job. The rack bolted to the rim of the tub and was easily removable. It had ample access to the items in the tub (I was in his cooler several times) and had a suspended basket above the tub as well.

BLUEGRASSMAN

Observer
I used Dom tubing. Bent the tubing at 90 degree angles and welded to angle that is bolted to the tub of the trailer. Will post pics later.

ethernectar

Adventurer
LRRB_046.JPG

I welded square uprights and ground them out to accept DOM tubing. Got the recommended measurements from the RTT maker, but they're probably pretty universal.

The DOM tubing was the most expensive piece of metal I bought for the whole project. IIRC it was like $60 or $70 bucks and that included a cut fee IIRC.

This design could easily be made to be removable by using larger square tubing for the bottom mounts, then dropping in a smaller square tube inside that and then using cotter pins. I have just over 48" in-between uprights so I can still haul plywood/etc if I need to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz