Need a torque wrench...

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
My old one is long gone, and I need one for upcoming repairs.

First repair is rear axle swap, so not much in the way of space/size restrictions, but the 2nd repair, a front axle u-joint replacement might have some space restrictions for the unit bearing fasteners.

So my requirements:

-$100.00 or less (if $30.00 buys me an excellent tool, so be it, but I don't want to be buying one of these again soon..haha!)
-Somewhat diminutive in size
-1/2" drive
-able to torque up to and past 175ft-lbs
-durable/comfy grip
-durable main body (I'm a gorilla and have snapped my share of wrenches and ratchets)

What brands does that have me landing on? Craftsman? Snap-on? I'd honestly like to be able to walk into a store to buy it, but that's not a requirement.

Thanks in advance!

-B

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Not to say they are the best but I have had good luck with my two Craftsman torque wrenches. It's a little over your $100 mark but for one that will do 175 ft-lbs, I doubt you'll find anything much cheaper that is decent.

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10...rque+wrench&prdNo=17&blockNo=17&blockType=L17

You can forget Snap-On, Mac, (or most pro brands) unless you can find a used one. Most of them start about the $300 range and up.

Good luck.

cool, thanks for the insight. Would you consider buying a used "pro brand" if given the chance? That seems like a pretty ok option...

wandererr

Adventurer
Some people might scoff at first but...... try harbor freight torque wrenches. I have both those and husky and I put them side by side every year or so and "cross check" their "sensitivity". Both brands (after years of abuse in my garage) seem to perform just fine.

I do admit to having a hiccup with one of the harbor freight ones though earlier in the year. It got "stuck" and I couldn't adjust it any more. It is though most likely a result of it being thrown into the back of the jeep more often than not and being exposed to temperature swings as well as extreme humidity swings (read: submerged with my jeep once). Anyways, harbor freight stood by the product and without a receipt, swapped it on the spot. Oh yeah... and their 1/2" one ran me about $20 on sale or so :D

So far I have used my torque wrenches on anything from axle builds to engine work through suspension upgrades. Haven't snapped or damaged a bolt yet ;)

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Some people might scoff at first but...... try harbor freight torque wrenches. I have both those and husky and I put them side by side every year or so and "cross check" their "sensitivity". Both brands (after years of abuse in my garage) seem to perform just fine.

I do admit to having a hiccup with one of the harbor freight ones though earlier in the year. It got "stuck" and I couldn't adjust it any more. It is though most likely a result of it being thrown into the back of the jeep more often than not and being exposed to temperature swings as well as extreme humidity swings (read: submerged with my jeep once). Anyways, harbor freight stood by the product and without a receipt, swapped it on the spot. Oh yeah... and their 1/2" one ran me about $20 on sale or so :D

So far I have used my torque wrenches on anything from axle builds to engine work through suspension upgrades. Haven't snapped or damaged a bolt yet ;)

hmmm...interesting. Good to know!

(Oh, and btw, no one ever believes me when I tell them that the chicago electric winch, that I had on my last jeep, had as many hard pulls under its belt as it did. :))

wandererr

Adventurer
1/4" http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-drive-click-stop-torque-wrench-2696.html
3/8" http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-drive-click-stop-torque-wrench-807.html
1.2" http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-drive-click-stop-torque-wrench-239.html
They also have a 3/4" but when I need that, I just use a breaker bar and guesstimate the distance from the nut and multiply by my weight ;)
3/4" http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-inch-drive-click-stop-torque-wrench-808.html

Bottom line is you can have the first 3 for $66 and if you have any of the 20% off coupons handy then it's even lower than that;)

ExpoMike

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/tls/2398930582.html

these one's for example. Two snap-on wrenches for $120.00. I kinda like the idea of putting some money in a person's hands who might need it, rather than to a big-box store.

I would find out what the range of the 1/2" on is. It could be a lower range model and won't go up to the spec you need it. I have bought some used Snap-On tools (actually my favorite 1/2 ratchet was used). Torque wrenches can be hit and miss depending on how they were treated. Sounds like these were treated well so it would be a good buy but only if they were in the range you needed. My guess is the 1/2" one is likely up to 150 ft-lbs but again, double check with the seller.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I would find out what the range of the 1/2" on is. It could be a lower range model and won't go up to the spec you need it. I have bought some used Snap-On tools (actually my favorite 1/2 ratchet was used). Torque wrenches can be hit and miss depending on how they were treated. Sounds like these were treated well so it would be a good buy but only if they were in the range you needed. My guess is the 1/2" one is likely up to 150 ft-lbs but again, double check with the seller.

good stuff. thanks!

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
craftsman have TERRIBLE warranties on the torque wrenches. take a look at the husky wrenches from home depot. they are not too expensive and have a lifetime warranty and are generally in stock. I have a big one from them that is 50-250 or something, looking for something in the 10-100 range.
huskys cost about 75 bucks and come with a nice plastic case that is not too much bigger than the wrench

TreeTopFlyer

Adventurer
I buy Utica. I have em in screwdriver oz/in, regular type 1/4" and 3/8" drive. Needed a 1/2" quick so I had to opt for the Harbor Freight model for my truck. One day I will pick up a Utica for 1/2" but for now the HF gets little use. Buy once cry once, if not just buy HF stuff and it will most likely cover all your needs. I would definitely get 2 min. Just make sure the range is correct btwn the two, that is key as others have said.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
craftsman have TERRIBLE warranties on the torque wrenches. take a look at the husky wrenches from home depot. they are not too expensive and have a lifetime warranty and are generally in stock. I have a big one from them that is 50-250 or something, looking for something in the 10-100 range.
huskys cost about 75 bucks and come with a nice plastic case that is not too much bigger than the wrench

This is the one you're talking about, I think:

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hard...roductId=100058237&storeId=10051#BVRRWidgetID

Looks good!

grntrdtaco

Adventurer

thats it, its a big wrench, about 2' long but its easy to adjust and super easy to crank on a bolt since its the size of a breaker bar. i need to pick up the 3/8" one this weekend. for stuff below 50 ft lbs. i also don't like using the wrench at the low or high end of the scale, i think the 10-100 wrench would be more accurate at 54ft lbs than the 50-250 wrench. there are not a whole lot of bolts on a truck that need more than a hundred foot lbs. this past weekend the wrench wouldn't click at 52 and 54 ft lbs when putting my driveshaft and rear diff back in unless i adjusted the wrench higher then lower.. not sure what was going on but be careful on the low end of the scale. it has never had a problem from about 60 up on the scale.

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
thats it, its a big wrench, about 2' long but its easy to adjust and super easy to crank on a bolt since its the size of a breaker bar. i need to pick up the 3/8" one this weekend. for stuff below 50 ft lbs. i also don't like using the wrench at the low or high end of the scale, i think the 10-100 wrench would be more accurate at 54ft lbs than the 50-250 wrench. there are not a whole lot of bolts on a truck that need more than a hundred foot lbs. this past weekend the wrench wouldn't click at 52 and 54 ft lbs when putting my driveshaft and rear diff back in unless i adjusted the wrench higher then lower.. not sure what was going on but be careful on the low end of the scale. it has never had a problem from about 60 up on the scale.

that's funny. that's exactly what one of the reviews said. No issues above about 60ft-lbs, but below, its like it was not registering the threshhold of the specified torque setting. My dad has an awesome old school torque wrench thats good up to about 75ft-lbs. It looks like a breaker bar, but has long seperate shaft that measures the deflection of the main bar to register the amount of torque being applied. It's probably from the 50's, and he's rebuilt probably 6 motors, trannies, etc. with it.

The axle nut and bearing bolts that are associated with Jeep Dana 30 unit bearings require 175ft-lbs. WOW :Wow1: While I usually don't use a torque wrench, and do most of my tightening by feel (thanks Dad), this is one of those times when an exception is warrented, IMO. :elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94