AT's new suspension system

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
AT has spent the past couple of years refining our independent Trailing Arm Suspension System. Lots of R&D involved trying new parts and products, redesigning components, and refining the engineering.

All of our trailers will now be fitted with our new TASS 4 Suspension system.

I just finished editing some video of the Nemo JK Habitat and Chaser trailer going over some very difficult terrain. I pulled this section of the video and slowed it down to analyze how the new system handles rebound.

Any of you who have seen one of our trailers will know that our suspension is very responsive. It will move when you push down on the trailer. This is very beneficial for absorbing changes in terrain, and with the dampened system produces an extremely smooth ride.

In cases where there is gross movement of the trailer, as in this video, it's essential to slow down and reduce the movement. Basically you are fighting with Newton's Third Law of Motion "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction".

What I think you'll see in this video clip is that we have had some great success in quelling the "equal and opposite reaction.

Enjoy the clip.
[video]http://youtu.be/wzL9SAExC2U[/video]

Last edited:

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Nice work! That sucker stays nice and planted after such a big hit. :ylsmoke:

Martyn

Sorry guys, but after we have done two years of R&D on this, the last thing we want to do is post up detailed pictures of the set up. We already have issues with our friends in China "borrowing" our ideas based on pictures on the internet, and at least one case where someone came to our shop for the same reason.

JeepFreak21

Observer
Sorry guys, but after we have done two years of R&D on this, the last thing we want to do is post up detailed pictures of the set up. We already have issues with our friends in China "borrowing" our ideas based on pictures on the internet, and at least one case where someone came to our shop for the same reason.

Isn't that what patents are for?
Billy

JeepFreak21

Observer
Without a bankroll to enforce the patent its not worth too much...

If the infringing party has made any money off the design, any lawyer worth their salt would take the case on contingency. If the infringing party hasn't made money off it, it's not worth worrying about.

I just think it's a lot to ask for his customers to buy something without knowing how it's built or how it works, or even the basic premise of the design... especially when it does very little to actually protect the design from a company that has the resources to profit from it.

My 2 cents,
Billy

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
It's called Just Noticeable Difference, or JND in the patent world. There has to be enough variance to the point that it isn't an exact "copy".

Martyn

In the world that we work in, as Dan says, patent protection is very difficult even if it is protected by law. Part of the issue is enforcement, part of the issue is someone can slightly modify the design and claim it does not infringe on the patent, and part of the issue is that when you file for a patent you have to describe in exact detail how the item is designed.

Our philosophy is to constantly be modifying and designing new and improved product. In the case of the suspension we are helped by the fact it looks simple, but is very difficult to build, and the improvements are not obvious.

We have not strayed far from our core product. The TAAS 4 system is an independent trailing arm system, with separate air bag and shock absorber. Not too dissimilar from the TASS 2 system, you can read about all of our suspension systems here. But as I said the devil is in the details, and I'm not about to explain what they are. All I'm prepared to say at this point is that the suspension is exceptional.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles