Garmin Montana

dms1

Explorer
Garmin has a new GPS coming out called the Montana that looks like it could work well for Overlanders. It has comparable features to the popular GPSMAP 276C and also incorporates the newest GPS features and is a handheld unit with a wired dock for you vehicle.

It looks very promising as a replacement for my aging GPSMAP 276C

Specs

Montana™ 600

Maps & Memory:

Basemap: yes
Ability to add maps: yes
Built-in memory: 3.0 GB
Accepts data cards: microSD™ card (not included)
Waypoints/favorites/locations: 4000
Routes: 200
Track log: 10,000 points, 200 saved tracks
Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads): yes (with optional mapping for detailed roads)
Electronic compass: yes (tilt-compensated, 3-axis)

Last edited:

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
With a name like Montana, it has to be cool! I just hope Garmin has the interface / display sorted out. The Oregon and Colorado were very disappointing. The 60CSx trumped them in every way. This seems to have a lot of promise!

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
x2. I still have my Colorado and been struggling with its quirks waiting for Garmin to have an epiphany... hopefully the MT will live up to its features.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Garmin has a new GPS coming out called the Montana that looks like it could work well for Overlanders. It has comparable features to the popular GPSMAP 276C and also incorporates the newest GPS features and is a handheld unit with a wired dock for you vehicle.

It looks very promising as a replacement for my aging GPSMAP 276C

Nice.

$700... :Wow1:

cbradley

Adventurer
Looks like the solution I have been waiting for. Now just have to wait for the price to drop...significantly...

FreeManDan

Adventurer
The price tag is disturbing, I have a lowrance endura sierra and am largely disappointed, so the next gps I buy I really got to know what I'm getting into before forking over the big bucks

locrwln

Expedition Leader
It is almost perfect, but like others before I through down that kind of money, it needs a larger screen/version. Something with a 7" diagonal screen would be great.

Jack

dms1

Explorer
I updated the specs in the first post, seems better than the 276c in every way I can think of and can be used as a handheld or Automotive GPS.

Last edited:

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Anyone have this yet? I'm very interested but would like some real world feedback prior to dropping that kind of coin.

Garmin quality still leads the way in private aeronautics, but seems to have chased the terra consumer (terrasumer?) over the cliff. They really need a modern confidence builder beyond the old 60CSx.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles