Garmin Montana

theksmith

Explorer
my friend Diane is loving hers so far. i played with it a bit and it is the closest thing to what an overlander would want that's come out yet. now if they would only make a version with just a tad bit bigger screen still.

a few pics of the suction mount with charging base are here: http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1200&page=3

i'm still running an old 60csx and a laptop together. i leave the 60 zoomed waaay in to like the 300ft scale and then have a more zoomed out overview going on the laptop. computers can be finicky though, nothing beats a dedicated hardware solution. if i was just now purchasing, i wouldn't hesitate to just get the Montana.

dms1

Explorer
I don't have any City Select CDs yet for the Montana, but you can turn the 3D on and off for the topo maps, so I am sure you can do the same for City Select.

I don't use the 3D at all.

I am still liking the Montana, Garmin also had an update recently that added features. You can read about them here

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
i have been using the montana for about 1 month and like it a lot. i found this thread because i was going to comment on how i felt it was an excellent replacement for the 276/478 series which are top notch for overlanding.

I'm using the montana on and offroad in truck, motorcycle and on foot hunting.

so far I'm very happy and i have tried 3 other units after my 478 and none came close..

i highly recommend this unit, hopefully it will hold up well.

thank you garmin for getting back to a versatile design.

Lostmanifesto

Traveler
Played with this unit over the weekend and it looks amazing. Finally, a GPS unit that will allow you to plot a course AND give you turn by turn city directions. I would love some more feedback on how accurate the mapping is, did you find the ability to leave breadcrumbs on the trail easy, etc.. Thanks it is rather expensive but may be worth it.

Ray_G

Explorer
Redundant pics from my thread in the Land Rover section but hitting a different audience here. Most of my usage has been straight street unfortunately, but the Garmin is still holding up well in a multipurpose fashion that's for sure. Using the AMPS mount on a RAM ball in the Disco holds it in place well with hardwired charging (tied to the ignition for on/off). I don't have turn by turn audio, considered running it through the stereo but that's been fiddled with enough for the aux input at the moment. Still considering an external speaker...but between the HAM & CB there is already two of those, so who knows.

All told very happy with it, but this thread has helped prompt usage ideas as well as a reminder to update.
r-
Ray
IMGP2037.JPG
IMGP2042.JPG
photo(1).JPG

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Newbie to the GPS world and I am looking for a handheld GPS that can be used hiking/mtbiking/etc and also can give me forest road locations? Does the basemap on this unit do well offoad or do you need the map cards?
Thanks
Matt

jerdog53

Explorer
Resurrecting a dead thread here maybe but asking the group I have one of these for a while now and haven't had the chance to run a power cord in the new rig yet I figured the cigarette power cord I have would work just fine but when plugged in the Montana goes into USB mode shutting off the maps.

Anybody know around this until I get a chance to run the power line to it?

dlh62c

Explorer
On the GPS, pull up the 'System' Menu.
Under 'Interface', select 'Garmin Spanner'.
Hook up your power cord, after the unit boots up, you will be prompted to enter USB mode or not.

verdesardog

Explorer
Newbie to the GPS world and I am looking for a handheld GPS that can be used hiking/mtbiking/etc and also can give me forest road locations? Does the basemap on this unit do well offoad or do you need the map cards?
Thanks
Matt

Get an etrex 20 (less than $200) and download FREE maps from gpsfiledepot.com garmin maps suck! but at the depot you can get nice 1:24000 topo maps of just about anything you would need.

Last edited:

jerdog53

Explorer
Get an etrex 20 (less than $200) and download FREE maps from gpsfiledepot.com garmin maps suck! but at the depot you can get nice 1:24000 topo maps of just about anything you would need.

Agreed!

I have used gpsfiledepot.com on several occasions to include maps of foreign country's all with good results!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles