New GXV lifting-roof "Pangea" model

Jorsn

Adventurer
Hello
I'm new to the site and this is my first post.
Is there a basic Pangea gxv and does anyone know how much they are?
Thanks

I read somewhere that this is the only one that has been built so far and it was for a customer in Alaska... Cost was $700,000+

haven

Expedition Leader
Welcome, BigGreen!

Generally speaking, GXV models are custom built to the buyer's requirements. Contact the company for an estimate of the cost. As Jorsn says, these vehicles are not cheap.

BigGreen

Thanks guys, Yeah that's a littlie out of my price range. I'll try getting a hold of GXV and see if there is a more economical way to
perhaps build one of their other vehicles.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Just wondering if the couple of feet in height you save is worth it. Seems to me that the full height that pops up for more sleep space is more useful and will last longer do to less up and down cycles.

One thing that is important...

You always want to make sure that the camper is fully useable in the "down" position. IE can you sleep at night, can you go to the bathroom. Perhaps not easily, but can it be done? If not then in the case of a break down, which can be as little as a two dollar part, you are stuck without any place to sleep, eat, etc. I know of a few people who were really glad they paid attention to that detail, and one couple who did not and ended up with a week of discomfort prior to being able to get back to the shop to get their rig fixed. Another thing is redundancy on the pop up mechanism. If you have a manual way to raise the roof AND lower it, that is also good, if it breaks in the UP for instance, and you can't get it down, well then you are fairly well stuck in place for a while.

As for this truck! WOW Super COOL!

thanks for sharing, it is nice to see an American Made truck meeting the high standards so commonly seen in Europe.

Cheers GXV

By the way, if you need someone to transport that thing up to the new owner, don't hesitate to call me.

Last edited:

dzzz

I am not trying to hi-jack this thread into a full-height vs pop-up, but as someone who is moving to something larger, I must ask this question.

With the non "full height" pop-ups, does the annoyance and wear and tear of the constant up and down anytime one wants to have a quick lunch, or step out of the weather make it not worth it.

Driving down the highway with the family, want to stop and make some food since we are cheap...pop the top, then drop the top. Get to the camp site when it's POURING down rain, have to wait for the top to come up.

Just wondering if the couple of feet in height you save is worth it. Seems to me that the full height that pops up for more sleep space is more useful and will last longer do to less up and down cycles.

I have an electrically operated top that's operated when standing outside the camper door. I have stood in the rain maybe once or twice a month wishing the top would move faster. But if that's a significant problem, then vehicle supported travel is way too much of a hassle.

The lifting roof on this GXV provides a family size vehicle at a reasonable length. Smaller popups provide a much shorter vehicle. I have a camper with 6'6" headroom on a vehicle that's only 10'6" tall on 47" tires. No way to do that without a popup. I'll be inconvenienced for a moment or two for those features. Plus I don't have to travel with a pole saw.

My concern with a popup IMO isn't the setup time. It's the potential on hard sided popups for mechanical failure and seal problems. I haven't experienced those issue, but it is a more complex and expensive system compared to a traditional setup.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
That's an amazing looking rig but other than freeways, back roads and fire roads, how can such a massive, heavy rig be driven off road?

waveslider

Outdoorsman
That's an amazing looking rig but other than freeways, back roads and fire roads, how can such a massive, heavy rig be driven off road?

Just speaking from experience, I've seen much heavier fully loaded BLM water carrying fire trucks with the same or similar chassis take off across the rocky headlands in similar vehicles with nary a hiccup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles