CDI Torque Products

southpier

Expedition Leader
CDI Torque Products

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyone know about CDI Torque Products? http://www.cditorque.com/

if they are part of the SO family there must be some quality involved.

i want to purchase a 3/8" and 1/2" torque wrench. how do i know if i want inch/ pounds or foot/ pounds?

thanks

lovetoski

Observer
12 inch pounds = 1 foot pound.

Most fasteners on 4w drive vehicles are footpounds (or newton meters).

3/8" torque wrenches usually have lower capacity (ie high end of foot pound range 120 or so.

1/2" torque wrenches can go much higher, 300 ft-lbs isn't uncommon, but the low end isn't as low, and the adjustment is coarser.

The question is what range do you need for the repairs you are going to do on your truck?

For the work I do on my LC, a 3/8" torque wrench covers 95% of my needs.

southpier

Expedition Leader
i just wanted the wrenches to improve my game. i ordered a 1/2" & 3/8" from amazon. learning curve.

thanks for the input

bribassguy

Observer
Two things to remember: Torque doesn't really mean anything... it's simply a guess at the tension when you factor in pitch, fastner type / grade, lubrication, etc... it's a pretty good guess, if you use a rusty old bolt or lube something that's supposed to be assemble dry it's not at all... The tension in the fastener is what ultimately determines clamping force.

Second, Make sure you get the calibration slip... a wrench is only as good as it's been calibrated. If Accuracy is more than 3% Meets it won't meet ASME standards. So if you got the 20-150, according to ASME if you set wrench at 20 the bolt should get between 19.4-20.6 on the low end and 145.5-154.5 at the upper end. Also, the wrench will eventually go out of calibration as you use it, the spring will flex and soften and it will need to be re calibrated (typically if you leave it set to 150 in the box this will happen faster).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles