Another Gen 1 Tundra hits the trail

imcolej

Hello Team Tundra! Long time lurker, first time post. Love to camp and backpack and found this website and have been financially doomed ever since. I wanted to add some overland adventures to my outdoor resume. The 91 Camry wasn’t going to cut it for these new goals ( love that Camry though and the lady is driving it for now, found it 4 years ago with only 25k on it from and a grandma who drove it a couple time a month to the store).

After months of research on these forums I decided that the Gen 1 Tundra DC fit my needs the closest.
• good daily driver
• good power for long distance road trips
• good offroad capability right out of the box
• enough room for a young family which will hopefully include a few kids here pretty soon.
• Mpg’s seemed pretty good for a truck this size and you could carry a lot with a rig like this and wouldn’t even notice.

So in August I bought a 06DC 4x4 with 35k on it and have been slowly upgrading some stuff.

sxfww5.jpg

I plan on keeping this beast for a good long while so I wanted the dependability of a Toyota. Thanks to all the Tundra guys on here and a special thanks to Haggis’ and Jim65Wagon, you guys helped me decide that this truck provided a capable and practical platform to go with.

The more I read the more I want to keep the truck pretty stock. This is partly because I’m woefully inexperienced with offroad vehicles (and what I would need to upgrade) and partly because I am stoked on how this truck rides as is! I definitely want to lose the soccer mom tires asap and put something else on. I’m not sure if I want to put a lift on it (thinking I should get a bit more trail time to see what I actually need). Any suggestions for new tires on a stock set up would be welcomed. It currently has 265/65/17 tires on it that basically suck everywhere but on the road. Not great in the dirt and real bad in the snow.

Since I bought it, I’ve added:
• Snugtop Hi Liner
13yh5rb.jpg

• Line-X
• Husky Floor Liners
• A simple sleeping platform with (4)2x6’s along the lip of the snugtop shell and (2) 3/8 4X8 pieces of plywood cut to size across the top.
2dgrebr.jpg

jgtd3r.jpg

Can’t thank you guys enough for all the information you’ve provided on the site. So excited to have a tundra and look forward to all the adventures to come. I’m testing the sleep platform with the lady and our k9 “George” tomorrow night.
2jysls.jpg

I’ll post some pictures when I get back.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Welcome to the Tundrabird Nation. Here's to many adventures with your newish ride. I like your plan: drive it, enjoy it and then worry about mods. As far as tires about any of the more popular aggressive AT tires would work fine. My suggestions would be anything from the standard BFG ATs to some of my favorites including the ******** Cepek Fun Country IIs, Copper STs or ST Maxxs or Dean Mud Terrian SXTs. With tires prices these days it will depend on how much you want to spend.

snip...a special thanks to Haggis’ and Jim65Wagon...snip

And our diabolical plan for ExPo domination through Tundra ownership advances on. [Insert evil, maniacal laugh here] :D

rambrush

Adventurer
Welcome Aboard!

Great to see another 06 dc Silver Sky Metallic beside mine.

Like posted AT's would be your best bet, I am running the Hankook dynapro mt's which are fairly aggressive for your needs.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Welcome

Welcome aboard. You have a very nice looking truck. I just bought tires to get rid of the same tires you describe. I purchased E rated BFG AT KOs, in 265/70 r17. They fit beautifully with no lift or backspacing. However, Bilstien 5100's are an inexpensive way to gain an inch or two, and don't effect the ride. The larger tires will make your speed o meter slow by about 4 mph. I love how long BFGs last and how well they work off road.

imcolej

Thanks Guys! Just go back from a quick overnight at Red Rock Canyon State Park outside of Mojave, CA. Pics on the way. The Tundra did well driving up through horse canyon. Pics on the way...

Thanks for the recommendations on tires. The E rated BFG KOs are the way I'm thinking I should go. Is it too early to change my opinion about mods? The Bilstien 5100's sound like a solid upgrade. Havent seen any regrets about them in my searches around here.

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Welcome to the Tundrabird Nation! Nice looking truck. A good set of tires goes a looong way to aid a vehicles ability. Enjoy!

greg mgm

Explorer
Welcome! Where in the SFV are you? I grew up around Platt and Vanowen, then had a house on Corbin at Chase for 20 years.
I don't see a reason for the E rated tires unless you have a large camper on the back. Otherwise, that's a very nice Tundra. Good idea to keep to stock for a while, which is exactly what I'm doing. The shock upgrade is a great idea.BTW, more pics!

Thanks Guys! Just go back from a quick overnight at Red Rock Canyon State Park outside of Mojave, CA. Pics on the way. The Tundra did well driving up through horse canyon. Pics on the way...

Thanks for the recommendations on tires. The E rated BFG KOs are the way I'm thinking I should go. Is it too early to change my opinion about mods? The Bilstien 5100's sound like a solid upgrade. Havent seen any regrets about them in my searches around here.

imcolej

Yeah, tires are next on the mod list, then the shock upgrade. Just gotta save a bit of cash before I pull the trigger on those.

greg mgm, I'm in Valley Village right now and grew up around here (went to Grant High). Thanks for the advice on the E rated tires....However I've now found this thread and I think this is the long term dream set up for my Tundra. So maybe the E rated would be a good move? http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/1322-Four-Wheel-Camper-A-Review

Jealous to see that you are now in Idyllwild! Thats an amazing area to live in. Nice.

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
I have read that E rated tires have better sidewall puncture resistance......don't know the real facts on that though. I will say that I like the ride of my new E rated ST Maxx's over the D rated ST's....

greg mgm

Explorer
Thanks! I agree, Idyllwild is an awesome place to live, and we're on a dirt road that is great for exploring.

As for that link with the 4 Wheel camper, very good combo. I had one a few years back. The camper wouldn't slow you down or limit where you could go at all, and you'd have all the comforts you'd ever need. I think you need one!

Yeah, tires are next on the mod list, then the shock upgrade. Just gotta save a bit of cash before I pull the trigger on those.

greg mgm, I'm in Valley Village right now and grew up around here (went to Grant High). Thanks for the advice on the E rated tires....However I've now found this thread and I think this is the long term dream set up for my Tundra. So maybe the E rated would be a good move? http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/1322-Four-Wheel-Camper-A-Review

Jealous to see that you are now in Idyllwild! Thats an amazing area to live in. Nice.

imcolej

Thanks jim65wagon, I am now officially sold on the E rated tire choice when I can afford them. Those ST Maxx's just look like they handle business. I have been quite unproductive today while lusting over the FWC threads and think that the e rated tires would only help that cause down the road.

grem mgm, It is hard enough to fight off my own mind and now I have you co signing my decision to buy a FWC :)

You and my mind make some really good points though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles