New guy looking for ideas for extra storage...Bronco II

59bisquik

Hi everyone. I am new to the board and looking for some ideas for adding some very needed storage to my rig. My rig has primarily been a rock crawler but we are transitioning to more camping trips and mutiple day events. I had built a roof rack and tried using that on the Mojave Rd a few years ago. Maybe my suspension is too soft and adding in the fact that I dont run any sway bars, the rig was all over the road and horrible to drive. I only put light weight items up there like sleeping backs and duffel bags with clothes. My second idea of building an offroad trailer seems to be too much of a hassle and not to mention two extra tires.

Anyway, I am thinking of putting the sway bar back on with some disconnects and adding some slide out storage and trying it again. I am looking for some ideas for storage systems that will allow me to still use my rear seats and I will try the light stuff on the roof again. Here is a pic of my available storage area...
958490_195_full.jpg

Since I am a new guy, I thought I would include a pic or two of my rig. Im sure there arent that many Bronco II's on this site and setup for multiple day offroad trips.
148.jpg

ultimate-adventure-2010CAS0H1EU.jpg

DSC02087.jpg

DSC02071.jpg

Last edited:
you may want to try in the storage section of the forum. tons of different ideas there. nice bII. i remember it from the UA. any specs?

59bisquik

Thanks for the compliments! Ahhhh and you saw me in the UA! Did you just see the mags or did you get the DVD? One heck of a crazy time!

Specs:
1986 Bronco II Eddie Bauer
91 Explorer 4.0 engine swap/A4LD tranny
BW1350/1350 doubled transfer cases (6.15:1 double low)
1979 F150 D44, 4.88's, chromo axles and a lockright
1989 F150 8.8 wih 4.88's and lockright
Goodyear 35" MTR's on custom beadlocks
Fox reservoir shocks
All homemade bumpers, lift kit and body armor
Warn 8k winch
bunch of misc other goodies!

59bisquik

You gotta get the 2010 DVD, the magazine articles just dont do it justice! And yes, the short wheelbase has some advantages, but also some disadvantages on the vertical stuff. Notice the winch hooked to the front axle in one of the pics. With the vert stuff, it helps to suck the front end down to prevent wheelies and 3 wheel action! :Wow1:

frumpy

Explorer
I thought your BII looked familiar. What about using a hitch mounted carrier? I doubt it would effect your departure angle too much but gaining access to your trunk would be an issue.

image_8086.jpg

RU55ELL

Explorer
Very cool B2. I had always heard they were cheap and junky, but it looks like you built it right. :)

59bisquik

Frumpy,
Not sure how that would work since the tire and fuel cans are mounted on the back. I wouldnt be able to get much on it. Im thinking about slideout drawers inside. Unfortunately, my ARB freezer takes up a bit of room too!

Russell,
In stock form they are not meant for serious offroading. The axles are small and not really worth upgrading. However, once you put either Explorer running gear under it or go to solid axles, they can be really capable. As for the interior and stuff, my Eddie Bauer edition has extra storge compartments, power windows, air lumbar seats etc. and is really comfortable inside. Makes for a comfortable trip!

frumpy

Explorer
You could always use a hitch extension (or judging from your rig just build one that clears). Obviously it wouldn't hold everything, but it could take some of the load off the roof. I have seen many people use 2 big rubbermade containers on them which will hold a decent amount of stuff and come off fairly quickly. If that still wouldn't work what about adding on a rack to your tire carrier?

59bisquik

I might have to look into that if I cant find a indoor storage system. As for adding to my tire carrier, its pretty full already. That 35" tire and gas weighs quite a bit.
002-14.jpg

frumpy

Explorer
ya that looks pretty full, it looks like your options are pack less gear, roof rack, or trailer. Also maybe a trasharoo (they can hold 50lbs) to help get some weight off the roof.

IMG_9226.jpg

JohnMcD348

Observer
Would there be any option to add a sway bar to your suspension. Since you don't really rock crawl much anymore and do more trial running/camping, the sway bar would return some driveability back to your rig and allow you to maybe use the roof rack again. You could always get a disconnect on the sway bars for when you need the articulation again.

11b4v

Adventurer
My first SUV/4x4 was a Bronco II that served me well. Great truck.

Not trying to be funny, but my recomendation for more cargo storage is a trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior