Samples of Expedion Rack setups.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
I have just had mounting plates in stalled on the windsheild hinges of an 2005 TJ. Next step will be to build an Expedition style rack with a light bar and extra sideveiw mirrors when the doors are off. Any samples or ideas for the rack would be nice. I will have the rear supports bolts to the rear bumper.

TheDriver

Observer
After a lot of research i went with the gobi stealth - and after lots of use I'm 100% happy with it. I would not suggest ripping their design but the features that have mattered most to me are:

Solid - No movement when loaded. Very well built with a soild, bolt on design.

Low Profile - Since my jk is still pre-lift it even fits into parking garages. Low wind resistance and noise. Looks great.

Gear Mounting Options - From the recessed expanded metal to the Yakima compatible cross bars; every thing I've needed to mount has been easy and had a logical home. Supporting all my previously purchased Yakima mounts was a huge bonus. Light tabs in all the right places. Layout of supporting bars has made adding antennas and other items easy. Soon I'll be figuring out mounting for a Hannibal awning.

Good People - My experience with ordering, shipping and install could not have been better. Seems like a great bunch of folks at gobi.

Sine I've had it it's been the number one thing that other jk owners have come up to me and asked about - even those who have already bought other expo racks.

Hope this helps,

Chris

P.S. I don't have any photos handy but there are lots out there via google of this rack.

Last edited:

duanewhatley

Garvin Wilderness Expedition Rack, by far the best!!
IMAG0225.jpg

IMAG0226.jpg

IMAG0231.jpg

IMAG0223.jpg

JPK

Explorer
Cap't Eddie, FWIW, I have read that mounting a stiff rack on a short Jeep to the body up front - the windshield, and to the frame in the rear - the bumper, can cause downstream problems.

On my LJ I have the Garvin Wilderness Expedition rack. Good rack (only fair powdercoating in 2006, I understand they have improved the coating) but if you go that route get the wind deflector - and if you make your own, make a wind deflector.

Here are a couple of photos:
DSCN0140.jpg

DSCN01262.jpg

I'm trying to go minimal or no rack on my JKU because of the wind noise and weight experienced with my LJ.

JPK

Bennyhana

Adventurer
Cap't Eddie, FWIW, I have read that mounting a stiff rack on a short Jeep to the body up front - the windshield, and to the frame in the rear - the bumper, can cause downstream problems.
JPK

I wonder if Garvin Industries figured that out because now their Wilderness racks are fitted to the rear body corners of the JK's. Still so so on the powdercoating though..
IMG_0031.jpg

JPK

Explorer
I wonder if Garvin Industries figured that out because now their Wilderness racks are fitted to the rear body corners of the JK's. Still so so on the powdercoating though..
IMG_0031.jpg

As I wrote, it was short Jeeps and stiff racks. The JKU isn't a short Jeep and the Garvin isn't a stiff rack!:sombrero:

More seriously, it was Dave at AEV - brain cramping on his last name, but the founder of AEV - who mentioned the potential problem. He also mentioned that if one end was going to be body mounted and the other frame mounted the JKU was the Jeep to do it on because its length would help aleviate torsional stiffness of the rack and so the potential problem with one end being body mounted and the other frame mounted.

The standard Gobi Rack mounting is to the windshield at the front and the frame below the bumper in the rear, but it can be body mounted in the rear for those applications where frame mounting won't work. If the Garvin is mounted to the actual bumper, I'm not so sure the stiffness of the oem bumper would be sufficient to be an issue even on a shorter Jeep, like the JK two door. That bumper is anything but stout.

JPK

goldenbeagle

Adventurer
If I may add my $.02....

I recently went around and around with this. My first stage of ideas brought me to building the rack myself. I ended up really unhappy with the final product and wasted about 100 bucks in materials. I then pulled into work one day and seen 2 Jeeps in my paraking garage, both sporting roof racks (both different brands). Both Jeeps were the same body style, just different years. For the first time, I was really able to walk around the designs of the roof racks. The first TJ I looked at had a Kargo Master Congo Cage and rack. Right off the bat I noticed that this rack sits up very high (Distance between the roof top and rack). In my opinion, the rack just makes the Jeep look like there is this abnormal square structure sitting on top and lots of bars running in different directions. Now, with that said, the rack system was solid as can be. The other rack I got to see upclose, was made by Smittybilt. Honestly, this rack just looked like a cheap exo-cage with a basket attached to it. The system had bars extended on the side of the Jeep, the size tubing was massive, and the finish looked very fake-ish. But, again this is my opinion.

After that day I got ahold of a guy my friend knew that owned a Gobi (Ranger Rack). I got some very detailed photo's and measurments sent to my email. I will say it now, hands down it's a cool setup. The integrated light bar is really nice and the material used is solid. The other good thing about the Gobi rack was that there was no drilling required.

I guess it was a week later, I was about to pull the trigger on a gobi rack, and then I ran into a guy on a trail with a Garvin Wilderness rack. After a brief walk around, and he told me the price....I was sold. The rack was solid, $700 less than a Gobi, and just had the look that sat perfect. I ended up talking to Ron Garvin at Garvin industries and he sold and shipped me the rack within 5 days. Not one company had them in stock. When the new rack arrived, I started pulling things out of the box right away. This is when I noticed that the rack looked way different than the one online and that I had senn in person. I thought for a minute I got the wrong rack...but nope, it was the new andd improved model. Many different slight changes to the older version. The next day I mounted it up, and honestly am thrilled with it. The garvin rack is well built and looks great. I added some lights to it, and blam I was even more happy with it. Enjoy the pic...hope this info helps.

OverlandJeep011.jpg

Phreak480

Army Guy
love my garvin rack. have leaned the jeep against trees with it holding me away from damage. Hell when i first bolted it all up i climbed up top and got my feet braced against the sides of the rack and proceeded to see how hard i could shake the jeep rocking back and forth just to see how it all would hold up. i got lucky and bought mine barely used for a great price but i would gladly buy it at full price with the experience i've had so far.

Petro

Adventurer
John,

Haven't looking into the compatibility of the Gobi rack and the AEV snorkel, sorry. There are snorkels that do work with it though so when I decide to get one, I'm not too worried.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz