large tire feedback

Carl

Observer
currently have 295/70/18's on my 2010 SMB. Looking for feedback from those running larger than this size of approx 34"

rubbing, drop in mpg, ride, etc.....?

Roonie

I was running 35" on my SMB. I actually went down in size to 34". The most noticeable change is the wander it has now. It likes to wander at highway speeds much more due to the almost 2" difference in width of each tire. I had no issues with rubbing. I also have the SMB 4x4 system. Mileage seems to have dropped slightly maybe because I went from a AT tire to a MT tire with more aggressive tread patterns? Too hard to tell if mileage is really affected. Best thing to do is post this at the SMB forum.

Roonie

Personal preference for me. The 35" made the van absolutely huge in appearance and posture. It feels much better for me at 34" and not as large. I have had many people comment on the difference as well. They could actually tell I went down in size. Nothing against 35" but the van is already a huge jacked up vehicle. They don't help you with clearance anymore than the 34" and I felt more comfortable with the smaller size doing serious articulation. Really personal preference. The 35" look better in photos but in real life I prefer the 34" on my van.

derjack

Adventurer
I was running 35" on my SMB. I actually went down in size to 34". The most noticeable change is the wander it has now. It likes to wander at highway speeds much more due to the almost 2" difference in width of each tire. I had no issues with rubbing. I also have the SMB 4x4 system. Mileage seems to have dropped slightly maybe because I went from a AT tire to a MT tire with more aggressive tread patterns? Too hard to tell if mileage is really affected. Best thing to do is post this at the SMB forum.

If you have wander in highway NOW with MT profile and before it ran straight with ATs mounted: this is for sure due to the profile/softness and not the diameter!

A diameter change in that low range doesn't change a lot, if suspension/set up is technically OK.

stormlover

Adventurer
If you have wander in highway NOW with MT profile and before it ran straight with ATs mounted: this is for sure due to the profile/softness and not the diameter!

A diameter change in that low range doesn't change a lot, if suspension/set up is technically OK.

FyI. Roonie sold his van a couple of years ago.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
FYI a change from tires that measure 35" tall to tires that measure 34" will lower your vehicle a whopping 1/2".

A tire that says 35" on the sidewall could be anywhere from ~32" to ~36" depending on brand, inflation, wheel width, vehicle weight etc. This is why I said a tire that measures.

Roonie

True I sold it a few years ago. As I said personal preference on size and if I was to do again the AT would be the way to go with the smaller size. The MT's had awesome traction and looked really good but had bad road manners for such a heavy van.

My van with 35" tires AT 315/75/16. No rubbing issues. Sportsmobile 4x4 build.

my van with 305/70/16 MT's

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles