I've been reading the forums for a bit now since going off roading recently with some friends. As a result of the off roading, I developed a desire to get a car and do it myself. After some research, the Montero seemed to be the right choice. So long story short, I picked up a 96 SR with roughly 165K. CA car, no accidents, original paint, no damage to paint or body. I think it is in pretty good shape, but there are a couple of items I have some questions on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
- The stereo seems to not work. I think it wants a code inputed. Is this as simple as pulling the stereo, getting the serial number, and calling the dealer? Will they charge me for the code?
- The third row is missing. I don't really have a use for it, but assuming I wanted to source it, how hard is it to find used and around how much does it go for?
- The transmission has an A/T button. I noticed flipping to one side gives a PWR setting. Does it do anything when flipped the opposite way? I ask because no dash light comes on.
- The sunroof works but its super slow. I'm guessing something is wrong. Is this common? Any ideas?
- On a related note, are the sunroofs known to leak water or are they pretty good?
- And of course tires, I want something bigger that does not rub or present any issues. Are 33x10.5x15 it or is there something larger? Also, I don't want to pay an arm/leg. Any brand/model recommendations or any place I can look to find a used set?
Thank you for putting up with the newbie questions!
I'm planning on having it serviced first before doing any cleaning. So please excuse the picture. I just wanted to include it for proof:-)