Just bought a 96 Montero SR...joining the crowd

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Mike, will do. I just need to coordinate things with family here.

I think it's time to plan a SoCal 4x4trip. Maybe time to finally check out Anza Borrego? Hmmm....:ylsmoke:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Just touching base on taking a trip down south. Looks like I won't be able to make it down until the 1st week of December at the earliest since I can't make it this weekend (sister's birthday), next weekend I'll be wheeling in northern NV (forgot I said I'd be going on that run) and the weekend after that is Thanksgiving. Hope you're ok with that.:ylsmoke:

mike5

Adventurer
I drove up into Angeles Forest yesterday and got a couple of pix worth sharing. I also drove on a mud fire road and almost got stuck but luckily turned around before it was too late. But it was a little scary. No pix of that one as I have in a hurry to get out!

ach.JPG

fog.JPG

montsnow.JPG

Cleand

Adventurer
Looks like you went for some fun in my area. I am just west of there in La Crescenta. I love heading up to Angeles for a quick trip. These rigs are so cool, I am in the market for one as the new family adventure rig. Let me know the next time you head for the trails.

tyty13

Adventurer
Let me know the next time you head for that trails. I'm down to go.

Let me know the next time you head for that trails. I'm down to go.

mike5

Adventurer
I really want to go there again this coming weekend. Not sure yet of Saturday or Sunday though. As of right now (Monday night), they're saying it might rain again next weekend. I think that would be perfect.

It is really pretty up there especially when it is raining or there is moisture moving through. But as it stands, if we were to make a treck there with a couple of trucks, any one have a trail or spot they'd want to go and drive? As far as I know, they're pretty limited with respect to OHV trails. I do have the forest service map though and it does indicate some forest service roads.

Also, I went by the Chilao campgrounds and it was amazing with beautiful views. I'd almost be tempted to go up there and relax at a site and get a camp fire going...no camping but just relaxing for a couple of hours...then leave by 4 or 5 as it gets dark.

Anyway, let me know what you guys have in mind if you want to go up there this coming weekend.

mike5

Adventurer
Well...ended up going to Angeles Forest again last weekend. This time I went with a couple of forum members. We went to Newcomb's Ranch and then went looking for open fire trails. Unfortunately, most were closed; but we did find a couple. There was a 2 mile or so trail that I was worried about last week (3n15) that we went through with no problem in 4H. We then found one other open trail...but it was again relatively basic (3n14). It has some nice views though. The pictures below are from 3n17. We hit a lot of rain and a little bit of falling snow. The temps were roughly around 35 degrees and the snow melted as soon as it touched anything...but again it was beautiful to go into the mountains in such weather.

ach2.JPG

ach3.JPG

mike5

Adventurer
With a little time today I decided to properly run the Wilson 1000 antenna. Prior to this, it basically came through the door jam and just ran through the interior. I wanted to clean it up and keep it hidden. Here is what I did:

1. Remove the rear cover in the rear
1.JPG

2. Remove cover by front passenger
3.JPG

3. Pop loose B pillar cover. Note that there is a little plastic piece at the bottom and you have to snap out first.
2.JPG

4. Remove kick panel cover on passenger side (where the ECU is). You push in on a little insert, then slide the clip out. Now you can pivot the cover out of its place. Make sure the floormat is out of the way.
4.JPG

5. Now you can run the antenna wire between the panels. What I don's show here is that I pulled the weather stripping out of the way. In addition, when putting the weather stripping back on, I cut out a notch (not on the rubber itself, but the back support) in order to allow the weather stripping to go over the wire and sit back on.
5.JPG

6. Here you see the wire in the corner. I had to loosen the two screws to the grab handle in order to properly push the antenna wire all the way in.
6.JPG

7. The B pillar at the top is still secured since I did not remove it. The wire easily went behind it.
7.JPG

It is the bottom half I popped out. The picture displays the wire before being dropped in completely.
8.JPG

Here is the wire again before being tucked in.
9.JPG

8. At this point I ran the wire underneath the factory clips for the factory harness.
10.JPG

9. I pulled the carpeting by the passenger footwell back and completed the run.
11.JPG

10. This is the only part I don't have a solution for. But this is pre-weather stripping reinstall (at which point I placed the notch).
12.JPG

11. Finally the completed picture. You can see a slight depression where the weather stripping went back on but I think it is pretty good.
13.JPG

I haven't tested it yet. The worse that can happen is the antenna wire picks up interference from the factory wires, but given the shielding I doubt it will happen.

On a side note, I wasn't trying to take great pictures here...so forgive the lighting.

mike5

Adventurer
One more item I took care of today. I changed the rear wiper blade. Only reason I mention it is that this is not a typical wiper blade where it clips on. The rear screws on. See the picture:

wiper1.JPG

So Pep Boys (and I suspect other typical auto parts places) didn't have it. I got it from a local parts place called BMA (bmaparts.com). I paid $8.70 with tax. When I spoke to the dealer, he said the price was "about $20.00." The part I bought is made in Korea for Nippon Wiper Blade company of Japan. I was told it is OEM.

The other item worth to note is that the screws did not want to come loose. I ended up using WD40 twice, and ruined one of them in the process. It ruined a good screwdriver actually and I had to use pliers! Anyway, finally got it off. Luckily, the replacement I bought came with two new screws...so no biggie.

wiper2.JPG

The picture has the old part next to the new box.

BTW: Although my rear wiper's rubber had not given up completely, it has left some streak looking marks on the glass. When I feel it with my nail, they don't feel like scratches in the glass though. I also felt the back of the old wiper and no metal is sticking out. Whatever the streak, I can't seem to clean it. Even tried a razor in case it was a film of sorts...no dice. I suppose worst case it could be fine scratches. They're no big deal, but I'm not sure how I would either clean it (if not a scratch) or how I would buff/polish it out if they are fine scratches. I'm open to ideas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier