Just bought a 96 Montero SR...joining the crowd

mike5

Adventurer
I finally got to accomplishing something I've wanted to do for a long time...wiring hole in the firewall. I needed a hole and a power distribution block so that I can easily add accessories down the line. Thanks to the help of a friend we got it figured out. Below are the pictures. But basically we put a hole in on the passenger footwell area next to the OEM wiring. There is additional room there should I need to add another one in the future. The 3 piece grommet used basically reduces the size of the orifice as you screw it down...so it should seal relatively well once I have wiring going through it. As for the distribution block it is a Blue Sea Systems with 6 fused spots. In the pictures, I have not placed the cover on, but it does have a clear cover. The last piece left is to run an inline fuse for the 4 gauge power line that goes straight to the battery. I'll take care of that next week.
1.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG

mike5

Adventurer
As luck would have it, the rear external door handle broke yesterday, forcing me to have to open the rear door from the inside. Since I had some time, I printed out the instructions of taking everything apart and proceeded with doing the work. The service manual has most of the info, but the diagrams leave out some clips and screws. It took a little bit of intuition to figure out. The only catch is that you have to take everything apart on the inside, which means breaking clips here and there. But I did get to it. My local parts place did not have the part. But I went to the dealer and bought the part for $67 plus tax. Luckily they were open and had one in stock.

Below are various pictures I took of the process. Please excuse the first two pictures as they need to be rotated 90 degrees clockwise. But you get the idea.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 5.JPGphoto 6.JPGphoto 8.JPGphoto 9.JPGphoto 10.JPG

mike5

Adventurer
Given that's its plastic I know a used one will break sooner rather than later. And it's never at the right time! So new was good for me.

mike5

Adventurer
Got a couple of updates worth sharing. I finally got around to putting some accessories in the Montero. I've noticed that on trips there is always the need to either power or charge items. So what I did initially (few posts back) is run a power wire from the battery to a distribution block. Now I'm getting around to utilizing the distribution block. The first thing I did was run two 10 gauge power lines from the distribution block to the center console area (one on either side). Each wire is fused with a 15 amp fuse. Each wire terminates with a quick disconnect. With plenty of power (and good wiring) in the area, I could now proceed. The idea is to really be able to quickly connect and disconnect any power accessory that you might need. In my case I know there is always a need for 12V outlets (even though the car has two up front) and I also know the stock outlets and wiring are not very sturdy, specially when it comes to heat or some sustained current. So on the drivers side I mounted a 4 x 12V volt outlet unit which also has one USB port underneath. This unit came with a base and screws, so as you can see in the pictures the base is permanently mounted and the unit slides onto it. I cut off its own 12V plug and instead wired up a quick disconnect to it. Although I intend on leaving this accessory in the truck, it is connected with quick disconnects should I ever need to remove it and use the power for something else.

On the passenger side I decided to leave this power source for future accessories that I may need. As of right now the only thing I can think of is an inverter. So I purchased one, hooked up a quick disconnect to it, and placed it in the car to use when I need it. As you'll note in the pictures it is not secured to anything because it is not permament. The unit is rated for 300 watts (350 max) and has one 110 volt plug and a couple of USB ports. I think it is more than sufficient for my needs.

The final item I purchased was an iPad mount. RAM Mounts basically makes different pieces that you can buy and hook up together. I went for a double arm type design with a suction cup base so I can place the iPad exactly where I want it. All the ball joints are 1.5" in my setup. I've tried it out on the local roads and highways and it seems to work pretty well. I do notice a little bit of vibration when going over bumps but it seems minimal and doesn't bother me. I see two primary uses for this. I can use on the road for music and maps (through the hotspot feature of my phone) or load up maps when going off road. I'll try it out sometime and see how that works out.

Below are a couple of quick pictures I took of everything.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    303.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    291.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    311.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    389.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    366.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    334.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    348.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    266.1 KB · Views: 42

mike5

Adventurer
Last three pix.

Attachments

• 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    307.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    272.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    376.8 KB · Views: 36

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Looking good mike. I did the sample power upgrade except I was lazy and used the 12v plug in the center console. My 4 plug unit sits in the cubby hole on the right side of the center console.

mike5

Adventurer
Got a few updates.

1. Removed the rear sway bar. You don't have to cut it. We had the car on a lift, removed one shock (while supporting the diff), removed all bolts holding the sway bar, and basically took it out through the center of the car. 10 minute job. You can probably do it in your driveway.
2. Got a replacement antenna mast from http://www.antennamastsrus.com/ and I have a working antenna again!

mike5

Adventurer
Well, I have a few more updates:

1. Removed front sway bar a few weeks ago. You can definitely feel the car sway, but if you drive within those parameters you're fine.
2. Added Trail Gear rock sliders per the recommendation of this board. I bought them from 4 Wheel Parts and had them weld it on. Purchase price with install was about $340. Another 160 for powdercoating.
3. Had alternator rebuilt. The dash and exterior lights would flicker lightly sometimes.
4. Went to Big Bear yesterday to hit some trails during the "storm event" of 2014. A lot of fun!

Jeep and Montero in the Snow and Mud by nikonmike5, on Flickr

Montero SR Driving Through Mud by nikonmike5, on Flickr

mike5

Adventurer
Clem,

My overall impression of the KOs was that they were ok. Let me explain. For highway and city roads with snow and moisture...no problem. For the dirt trails with fresh powder...problem. If there were previous tracks in the snow I thought the tires did very well. For no tracks or tracks with some fresh snow on top...it was more of an issue. Specifically, if you got off those tracks then it seemed difficult to get back on. The road would sort of take you where ever it wanted you to.

Keep in mind this is my first time in the snow and I'm not expert when it comes to AT tires...but that's the impression I got.

tyty13

Adventurer
Looks like FUN!!

Well, I have a few more updates:

1. Removed front sway bar a few weeks ago. You can definitely feel the car sway, but if you drive within those parameters you're fine.
2. Added Trail Gear rock sliders per the recommendation of this board. I bought them from 4 Wheel Parts and had them weld it on. Purchase price with install was about $340. Another 160 for powdercoating.
3. Had alternator rebuilt. The dash and exterior lights would flicker lightly sometimes.
4. Went to Big Bear yesterday to hit some trails during the "storm event" of 2014. A lot of fun!

Montero SR Driving Through Mud by nikonmike5, on Flickr

Looks like FUN!!

mike5

Adventurer
Couple of more updates. First for an addition. I added the overhead grab handle to the front driver's side. From the factory the holes are there but no handle. I bought a handle from the junk yard and screwed it in. I've found that this can be helpful when on the trail and stopped at a weird angle. Helps getting in and out. Also, went out to Rowher Flats yesterday. Its been the first time on the trail again since removing both sway bars. I took a couple of pictures to show articulation.

0308141551.JPG
0308141552b.JPG
DSC_1424.JPG
DSC_1425.JPG
DSC_1427.JPG
DSC_1430.JPG
DSC_1432.JPG
DSC_1434.JPG
IMG_6846.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members