Just bought a 96 Montero SR...joining the crowd

Looks real good! How's the street performance with both bars removed? I only have my front removed at the moment.

mike5

Adventurer
Another victory. Went to a local dismantler today and got a door lock actuator. Swapped it out in 30 min total. Now when I unlock the doors they don't automatically lock again! Now I even using the factory remote to lock and unlock doors. It's awesome.

Gotta take small victories when you can.

Clem

Adventurer
Another victory. Went to a local dismantler today and got a door lock actuator. Swapped it out in 30 min total. Now when I unlock the doors they don't automatically lock again! Now I even using the factory remote to lock and unlock doors. It's awesome.

Gotta take small victories when you can.

Which door was giving you trouble? Did you change out that door only? My passenger door lock goes into the lock/un-lock routine when I use the key (My Monty didn't come with the factory remote :()

Glad you found a fix!

Clem

mike5

Adventurer
Clem,

My issue, like that of many others, is that when unlocking with the interior buttons it would immediately lock again. This was also the case when using the key on the passenger side. Basically the actuator has a damaged contact that fails to tell the car it has unlocked the doors.

BTW same thing would happen when using the remote.

mike5

Adventurer
It's been a little while but I have a couple of updates. About a month ago I hit 200k. It's been a pretty good truck so far.

I also added a couple of lights that I think will be perfect for camping when you need some light to unpack or set up a tent. They are KC Cyclone. $25for each.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Nice Montero!!

Can we get some more info on the door lock actuator thing? I need to do this repair, my door locks go crazy whenever I try to use them...!

mike5

Adventurer
It has been a while since I posted any updates, but there have definitely been some updates. I've done A LOT of maintenance to keep it on the road...but well worth it. Items include:

- Timing Belt
- Water Pump (kit)
- Pulleys
- Crank seal
- Camshaft seal
- Crank bolt
- Coolant

The above were all OEM parts from the dealer and installed by dealer tech.

- Shocks
- Inner/outer tie rods
- Upper/lower ball joints
- Half shafts/boots
- Alignment (not impressed by their work)

- Starter (actually took it out myself and had it rebuilt)
- Turn signal stalk (it was stuck signaling left no matter the position)

On a side note, in the past I've either bought parts from the local dealer (rip off) or from mitsubishiparts.net (slow sipping, ok prices). Recently I ended up buying my turn signal stalk from oemmitsubishiparts.com. This is actually Southwest Mitsubishi in TX. For reference, the part in question was $132 + tax at my local dealer (Glendale Mitsubishi in SoCal). Southwest Mitsubishi charged my $87 for the part and $10 for shipping (very well packed in a relatively much larger box). And no tax. I ordered on Monday and had it on Friday.

Beyond the maitenance I went to Pismo Beach for the first time and hit the dunes. Although the Montero lacks power (specially lower RPMs) it still did ok. It really is a momentum car off road.

Mitsubishi Montero SR on The Sand by nikonmike5, on Flickr

Last edited:

mike5

Adventurer
Quick update:

Just took another trip to somewhere new, Bald Mountain Lookout Tower trail in Sierra National Forest. Our hope was to encounter some snow, but no such luck. It was a beautiful place with lots of traction though and unique terrain compared to other trails I've been on. I didn't need to use the locker and it was pretty good.

Enjoy the pictures:

Bald Mountain Lookout Tower by nikonmike5, on Flickr

Mitsubishi Montero SR by nikonmike5, on Flickr

Mitsubishi Montero SR at The Top of The Hill by nikonmike5, on Flickr

Shaver Lake by nikonmike5, on Flickr

Mitsubishi Montero SR At The Top of Bald Mountain Lookout by nikonmike5, on Flickr

Views of Sierra National Forest by nikonmike5, on Flickr

Sunset Skies by nikonmike5, on Flickr

Mitsubishi Montero SR At The Top by nikonmike5, on Flickr

And you can find all the pictures on the album.

Jay Ayala

Explorer
15688762063_2f70302efd_c.jpg

dude, your muddy fun is making me jealous

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L
1997 Mitsubishi Montero 3.5L

mike5

Adventurer
Went out to Big Bear Lake again last weekend on Sunday since it was supposed to snow. It actually did snow and we had a lot of fun. Once thing I noticed though is the Montero does like to slide in the snow when the surface is not flat. My friend with the Bronco (same tires, but weighs about 1800lbs more) did not have those problems.

DSC_0296 by nikonmike5, on Flickr

DSC_0251 by nikonmike5, on Flickr

Flickr album with more pics: https://flic.kr/s/aHsk8tPhWh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles