Hema Navigator

hackattack

Hello everyone,

I am sad to say that my Garmin 276C was stolen. I was also terrified to find out that it has been discontinued.

I saw in an issue of Overland Journal that the Discovery project had installed a Hema Navigator. I was looking for more info on this unit. As it seems a lot of the GPS manufacturers are discontinuing all the models I want. Any help would be great.

Roman

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Pangaea Expeditions is testing the Hema Navigator app on both iPhone and iPad. It's $10 for the app with USA base map and I think (don't quote me) $10 per state for a 7.5' topo. While we are not yet ready to publish a review on the site, I will say that this app is the best reason I have seen to buy an iPad.

Rando

Explorer
There some other opinions on the Hema Navigator App in this thread. I have it on my Ipad, and have not been particularly impressed. I find that both the 'Topo Maps' and Gaia GPS apps are more functional and much more reasonably priced if you travel in several states. However, I have been very impressed with the Ipad as a navigation tool in general. Part of the beauty is you can tailer the software to what suits your needs, or update it for a couple of bucks when a latest and greatest app comes out.

Scott Brady

Founder
I think the OP was interested in the GPS unit HEMA Navigator, not the iPad app.

I have used the HEMA Navigator on several trips, and find it to be the best GPS choice if you are wanting something very upper division. It runs OZI Explorer and Memory Maps, which have extensive satellite and scanned map options. If that is your need, it is the best choice.

If you are looking for a simple GPS with digital maps and simple functionality, then there are better options.

For example, we used the HEMA Navigator in Mongolia, where there are no reliable maps - we used satellite imagery.

Rando

Explorer
You are right, the OP was talking about the HEMA unit - however I think getting an original Ipad 3G would be a viable and possibly preferable alternative to the HEMA unit. For less money you get a much nicer screen and by the looks of it all the functionality of the HEMA unit using a combination of the Gaia, Bit Map, Memory Map and Motion X in addition to the multitude of other apps/functionality that the ipad provides.

cactusjk

Explorer
I just downloaded southern AZ 24k topo maps for the iPad HEMA app and think they are just as good as any that I have seen. I think the problem most people are having is it takes a while to understand the interface. I am looking for a Overland Navigator equivalent app for my iPad and I think the HEMA app is a good start. I also have Topo and several others.

targa88

Explorer
I just downloaded southern AZ 24k topo maps for the iPad HEMA app and think they are just as good as any that I have seen. I think the problem most people are having is it takes a while to understand the interface. I am looking for a Overland Navigator equivalent app for my iPad and I think the HEMA app is a good start. I also have Topo and several others.

Can you provide more info about specific products/maps.
Looking for TOPO apps.
Searched the HEMA site - hard to find....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94