1974 Chevrolet Pronto fire engine

Harald Hansen

Explorer
So, I found this character for sale locally (Norway), and just had to buy it:

pronto.jpg

bakfra.jpg

It's a coachbuilt fire engine, built in Switzerland by Hämmerli of Lenzburg. The base is a 1974 Chevrolet pickup. The frame is stretched a bit at the very front, and apparently it uses a van steering column to make it forward control.

Engine: 292 inline six
Transmission: 4 gear manual, NP203 permanent 4x4 transfer case
Axles: Front D44, rear GM 14-bolt
Wheels: 9.5R16.5
Wheelbase: 131.5"
Overall length: 18.7" (5,7 meters)
Milage when purchased: 15,000 (24,000 km)
Seats: 6

Here's the build plate:

plate.jpg

Fuel consumption so far:

Last edited:

Harald Hansen

Explorer
The interior is very roomy. The rear box is 2 meters long back to front (about 6.5 feet). The front compartment is over 3 meters from rear wall to the windscreen. The body is fairly wide as well.

Here's the driver's position seen from the rear side door:

forover.jpg

Plenty of leg room... The two wooden lids are compartments, one which house the battery. Could probably squeeze in a whole lot of batteries down there.

Drivers position seen from the outside:

86_1202771820.jpg

Basic, but the seating position is fairly good. The racing seat is not original... :)

There's a rear bench from a VW Caravelle T4 (Eurovan in NA):

86_1247530512.jpg

Emil (3) providing some scale:

emil.jpg

The diamond plate box covers the transfer box. BTW, Emil approves whole-heartedly of the fire engine purchase... :elkgrin:

The rear box, seen from the rear door:

DSC_3934.jpg

The rear door is side opening. The hatches on the side are top-hinged. Here's a view from one of the side hatches, looking towards the rear:

fra_siden.jpg

There's several nifty details. One is the fold-out ladder to access the roof rack, shown on the first picture.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Subscribed. Cool rig.

Put some manual hubs on that rig to pick up some mpg's. Also if its got a NP203 transfercase that hasn't been converted to part time operation yet you can convert that to get even more mpgs.

ExpoMike

Very cool rig!!! Can't wait to see what you'll end up doing with it. Lots of potential there. 292 is a solid engine, built like a tank and pulls like one but gas mileage sucks.

Congrats!

greg mgm

Explorer
Ridiculously cool! I assume it has leaf springs front and rear?
That is a great find. I'd explore like crazy with it.

Little Red

Adventurer
That looks very cool, you should be able to turn that in to a super cool 4x4 camper.
Can’t wait to see what you are going to do with it.

Harald Hansen

Explorer
Ridiculously cool! I assume it has leaf springs front and rear?
That is a great find. I'd explore like crazy with it.

Leaves all around, yes. Under the shell it's a standard 131.5" wheel base Chevy truck.

I was pleasantly surprised to find disc brakes up front. Stopping power overall is more than sufficient, at least with the truck empty.

Patman

Explorer
Rear is a FF 14 bolt, front is a 3/4 ton Dana 44 by the looks of it. Common 3/4 ton setup for the vintage.

Awesome rig, will make a great camper

Harald Hansen

Explorer
Thanks, guys!

I sprayed a full can of chain lubricant on the springs, and will dump another can on them today. The hope is that they will loosen up or stay loose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior