Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: '06 GMC K2500 Buildup

Here are some airbag pics for you all to check out too... These are the Air Lift units. Firestone kit is very similar. No install shots, but it doesn't get much simpler. Took longer to assemble the units properly than to bolt them into the truck. A floor jack under the hitch is a must to get adequate clearance though.

I doubt the heat shield is really necessary, as there's lots of clearance to the exhaust on my truck, but I put it on anyway. The truck really does ride better empty with about 10-15psi in the bags. Picks up the rear about 1.5" too, which gets it off the overloads, and makes it look a little better IMO.
    Now I'm realizing how soft my 150k mile OEM shocks are... Time to save up some more $$...
    Chris
    Last edited by 1stDeuce; 06-14-2011 at 08:57 PM.
    '06 GMC K2500 CCSB D/A w/ '94 Hallmark Ute 8.5'
    '86 Jeep Comanche
    '00ish Jeep TJ Scrambler
    '99 XR400R
    I'm my own boss now, I do what I want!!!
    KB9SCX

I work at a dealership, I'm fairly certain that all of the 2500/3500 HD's have the wiring harness for a 5th wheel 7 pin bundled at the cab/bed driver side. There may be the odd truck out there that doesn't have it. Seven pin 12v power does require connecting a wire at the fuse block, and installing a fuse. Trucks come equipped with a plug/play adapter for an electric trailer brake. If you have it, it's all taped together, usually with a 7pin/4pin adapter, and the 30A fuse. The brake controller adapter plugs in to the black box on the outboard side of the drivers footwell on all of the Dmax 01-07 Classic's, new body style has the wiring harness taped up under the dash.

A word to the wise, the 12v feature on the 'fridge in my camper will kill the truck batteries in a couple of hours...that is an ignition off 12v source. Ask me how I know this.
    Crew dog, Dust Junkies Racing, Three time Baja 1000 Champions, Class 1700 (Jeepspeed)

Quote Originally Posted by 1stDeuce View Post
    Now I'm realizing how soft my 150k mile OEM shocks are... Time to save up some more $$...
    Don't know if these are of interest to you, but I bought a set of Rancho RS5000 for my truck (came with old KYBs, at least one of which is blown & leaky) --

Summit Racing has them at $49 apiece, and there's a $50 rebate from Rancho right now.

Part numbers for my truck (may not be the same for yours):
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RA...00|Submodel|SL

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RAN-RS5274/

Rebate form here:
    http://www.gorancho.com/promotions.php

I happen to live near a Summit Racing store, and they mailed me a $25 off $100 coupon card too, so I used that. Shocks weren't in stock at the store, so they're shipping them to me.

From my past experience with Jeeps, Rancho 5000s are on the stiffer end of the spectrum of shocks. I wouldn't pick them for any lighter vehicles like Wranglers or Cherokees (Bilstein is my choice there), but I figure they won't be too stiff on a 3/4-ton truck with a camper on it.

Why is the side of the frame cut out? I can't imagine that is good for strength.
    1993 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed 7.3 IDI 5 speed 4x4. Currently stock except for the 255/85R16's.
    1983 GMC 6.2L Suburban with sm465/np205 with 1 ton axles, crossover steering, 52" front springs, and rear shackle flip. Has 285/70r17 STT's on H2 rims.
    1996 GMC Suburban K2500 6.5TD 4L80E
    -Running Biodiesel
    1965 2WD F100 7.5L with C6.
    1967 mustang coupe project on hold waiting for a garage or shop.
    1979 CX500 putt arounder.

GM didn't come out with a full length boxed frame until the 2011 model year.
    Crew dog, Dust Junkies Racing, Three time Baja 1000 Champions, Class 1700 (Jeepspeed)

Quote Originally Posted by 1stDeuce View Post
    Yeah, actually it's right above the frame rail between the box and cab if you have it.
    Not really sure when it started, so you might not... ??
    C
    It is a cheap option (since 2001/2) that most people ordered with the tow package on the HDs. Just checked and is still $35. Listed on their BTO feature:

TRAILERING WIRING PROVISIONS FOR CAMPER, FIFTH WHEEL AND GOOSENECK TRAILERS
    The Silverado® 2500HD is born to tow. Whether for work or play, the trailering wiring provisions help ensure a hassle-free hookup to your camper, fifth wheel or gooseneck trailer. This feature includes an additional 7-way wiring harness routed to the front of the pickup box for easy connection to front-mounted trailer wiring. The wiring provisions require heavy-duty trailering equipment.
    • 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport (JK), 6spd, 3.73, 3x12.50-17 BFG KM2s on 17x9 ProComp 7069s, Flat Flares, Stock Suspension, Shrockworks Stubby Winch Bumper w/Milemarker HI9000 & Viking line, Cobra 18 w/Firestick II, Clarion & Boston Acoustic Audio

Quote Originally Posted by olsen_karl View Post
    Don't know if these are of interest to you, but I bought a set of Rancho RS5000 for my truck (came with old KYBs, at least one of which is blown & leaky) --

Summit Racing has them at $49 apiece, and there's a $50 rebate from Rancho right now.

Part numbers for my truck (may not be the same for yours):
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RA...00|Submodel|SL

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RAN-RS5274/

Rebate form here:
    http://www.gorancho.com/promotions.php

I happen to live near a Summit Racing store, and they mailed me a $25 off $100 coupon card too, so I used that. Shocks weren't in stock at the store, so they're shipping them to me.

From my past experience with Jeeps, Rancho 5000s are on the stiffer end of the spectrum of shocks. I wouldn't pick them for any lighter vehicles like Wranglers or Cherokees (Bilstein is my choice there), but I figure they won't be too stiff on a 3/4-ton truck with a camper on it.
    If anyone cares, the Rancho 5000s ride great on the 2500 (well, as good as a 3/4 ton could ride) -- much much smoother and less jolting than the rusty and blown-out KYB GR2 shocks that I pulled off. Installed them today and drove around a bit both on road and on dirt road. Definitely not too stiff of a ride, which has been my experience with these and the similar/identical Pro Comp ES3000, on lighter-weight vehicles.

Tested the rig out this weekend with a trip up to Sheridan, and a return trip through the mountains south of Casper. "Muddy Mountain" lived up to it's name... Lots of slipping and slilding, 4wd required for several climbs (on the road!!) and now I have to spend some time cleaning...

'86 Jeep Comanche
    '00ish Jeep TJ Scrambler
    '99 XR400R
    KB9SCX

Pics of the forward tie-downs that I installed before the latest trip. Factory loops in the bedside are not so cool... These ones should be a little stronger. Yes, my bed is dirty. No, I don't care.

See the little hole in the outboard channel? It's in the perfect place for a tie-down!! Lines right up with the cross rail beneath the bed, just needs drilled through at the proper size.

I put these anchors in, and they go down through the bed and cross rail. Yes, they say CHINA. The "Made in USA" ones at True Value were too long.

Finished in bed:

Used a large fender washer underneath, with a normal washer to back it up. (photo of the pass side so you can see it. Fuel filler and aux tank hose mostly blocks the Driver's side from view.) I'll probably cut some 1/8" cold rolled plate soon to replace the sorta thin fender washer.
    Army Chevy's use this same arrangement, with 1/8" plate re-enforcement, and I've never seen one pulled through, so I think it'll be ok.

Still tight after a weekend of driving on poor (at best) roads. I'd wager a case of good beer that the cheezy loops will pull out of the camper before I can pull these eyes out of the bed. But let's try with someone else's camper, as I don't want to fix mine...
    Chris
    Last edited by 1stDeuce; 06-20-2011 at 08:11 PM.
    '86 Jeep Comanche
    '00ish Jeep TJ Scrambler
    '99 XR400R
    KB9SCX

Cool pics. The trail pics really show how much mud the H2's throw up on to the vehicle.

Jack
    2007 2500hd, Max/Alli, Hawk FWC (the new explorer)
    Build thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...07-Chevy-Build
    2006 Jeep LJ Rubicon
    Build thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...006-LJ-Rubicon
    KE7NCK

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast