Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: '06 GMC K2500 Buildup

Ok, so I have given up finding an OEM light that fits the new ARB bumper. I can buy the lights from ARB, but they're fairly expensive, and I have heard about connector issues as well. To combat that, I decided to just put in some 2.5"x6.5" oval LED lights. I got a pair from Amazon or Ebay for $20 IIRC. They came with the wiring pigtails, mounting grommets, and of course, the lights. I made a template on paper via Solidworks, and cut it out and traced the oval onto my bumper with a paint pen, centered on the original openings.

Then I busted out the plasma cutter and followed my lines. This one needed just a little tap to knock it out. The other side fell out on it's own as I finished the cut.

All of the back-side light mounting bracket came out with the pieces I cut, so I only had to clean up the opening a little with a die grinder and some sandpaper, shoot a little semi-gloss black on it to keep the rust at bay, and put in the lights.

I'll get them wired up over the next couple of nights. I now have a much more finished looking ARB bumper, and sealed lights that I can replace for cheap almost anywhere I might be.

Chris
    '06 GMC K2500 CCSB D/A w/ '94 Hallmark Ute 8.5'
    '86 Jeep Comanche
    '00ish Jeep TJ Scrambler
    '99 XR400R
    I'm my own boss now, I do what I want!!!
    KB9SCX

New addition to what's become known at work as the "High-capacity Assault Bumper"... Heading to Moab this weekend and needed a way to get my motorcycle there with the camper in the back. Putting it on a 2' extension hitch out the back didn't seem like a great idea, so I bolted a 2" hitch under the ARB. Had to turn the motorcycle carrier upside down to get the bike a little lower, but it should work well!! (I added a strap to each side to keep it from swaying around.)
    Moab.jpg
    '86 Jeep Comanche
    '00ish Jeep TJ Scrambler
    '99 XR400R
    KB9SCX

Default Light Racing skidplate install

Well, I'm a little behind, but I installed the same skid as Locrawlin a few months ago, or the front half of it anyway. This skid system was available through Light Racing, though they never did any advertising, and the suggested retail was obscene. There are a LOT of welded steel braces and brackets involved, so that you can jack pretty much the entire truck up anywhere under the skid. Probably a little stronger than most of us need... Here's the few pics I took. (I though I took one of the brace before the alum, but I guess not...)
    Before picture with the factory shields removed and a socket stuck to a bolt evidently...
    IMG_2187.JPG

After shots...
    IMG_2189.JPGIMG_2201.JPG

I only installed the front half for now. I don't really "wheel" this truck, so I think that'll be enough coverage for places it'll go, and I can still change the oil and filter for the engine and trans easily this way. I still want to build a new trans mount crossmember that doesn't hang down 2" anyway, so perhaps after I get that done I'll put the rear half on.
    C
    '86 Jeep Comanche
    '00ish Jeep TJ Scrambler
    '99 XR400R
    KB9SCX

The truck is looking great. I am jealous of the lift, that would have made the install soooo much easier. It sucked doing it in a normal garage on the ground.

Jack
    2007 2500hd, Max/Alli, Hawk FWC (the new explorer)
    Build thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...07-Chevy-Build
    2006 Jeep LJ Rubicon
    Build thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...006-LJ-Rubicon
    KE7NCK

I really like the look of your new skid plates Duece. Must be awesome to have the extra protection....

Link to the skids? Light Racing website?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    Link to the skids? Light Racing website?
    Sorry Tiki, it doesn't exist. Light racing got sucked up by Specialty Products Co a few years ago. Funny enough, if you put the P/N into their website, you get a picture: http://www.spcalignment.com/index.ph...tion&pid=25400

They're not making them anymore though. If I make something similar, I'll post on here and let everyone know.
    Chris
    '86 Jeep Comanche
    '00ish Jeep TJ Scrambler
    '99 XR400R
    KB9SCX

Quote Originally Posted by 1stDeuce View Post
    Sorry Tiki, it doesn't exist. Light racing got sucked up by Specialty Products Co a few years ago.
    Now I understand why you knew exactly what the BJ's in the LR UCA's are. Cheers

Finally got some new tires to replace the Michelin's that I've been running. They were getting low on tread, and the sidewalls were pretty weatherchecked. (They were 8 years old)

Thanks to the "OJ Garage Sale" in the classifieds, I scored four of the new style Dick Cepek Fun Country a while ago. I picked them up at OE14 and just got them put on the truck. They look like really good tires! They're of course made by my favorite tire company, Cooper, right in Findlay Ohio according to the factory code. They're on Cooper's 3-ply carcass, which is also used on the STMaxx and the STT. I figure I've had great luck with the STT's on my Jeep, so these should be great for the truck!! I actually like the tread pattern a little more than the STMaxx for what I do with this truck. I hoping for fairly good performance and mileage out of them! These are 265/70R17, but if Cepek made this tire in 255/85R16 I'd probably look for a set to fit my Jeep!!

The only think wrong with them that I could see is that one if the tires is peeled away on the outer edge, probably from some sort of cornering test at OJ. One of them also has some very light evidence of lockup during a braking test, but that should wear in fairly quickly. For the price, I'm not disappointed at all!! Thanks Overland Journal!!

This is the one that is worn on the outside. I asked the tire shop to mount it with the scuffed side inboard, but I wasn't there when they did the work, and it isn't how I wanted it, but I don't really care that much. I'll probably move this one to the rear soon anyway.

I'm heading to Silverton, CO for Memorial day weekend, so hopefully I'll get to at least comment on noise and dry traction.
    Last edited by 1stDeuce; 05-22-2014 at 08:03 PM.
    '86 Jeep Comanche
    '00ish Jeep TJ Scrambler
    '99 XR400R
    KB9SCX

Good looking tires.

Jack
    2007 2500hd, Max/Alli, Hawk FWC (the new explorer)
    Build thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...07-Chevy-Build
    2006 Jeep LJ Rubicon
    Build thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...006-LJ-Rubicon
    KE7NCK

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast