'06 GMC K2500 Buildup

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Thats a major:Wow1: rebuild you had going there 1stDuece! I have never seen the parking brake set up on newer GM trucks so it was very imformative for me to see your detailed picture report. Thanks for posting. I am glad to see that both you guys are now running springs that do the job for you and not air bags. Cant wait to see more updates from Iocrwin too. Cheers, Chilli..:) :smiley_drive::smiley_drive::smiley_drive:yup he drives on the wrong side of the road!

1stDeuce

Explorer
High Capacity Assault Bumper - Rear

As promised, here are some pictures of the rear bumper build. The goal was to have a decently strong bumper, raise the receiver about 2", incorporate camper tie down points, and have two receivers I can use for the motorcycle carrier. Mission accomplished!! :)

First, I added a "Diesel Only" decal, so there's no confusion at the Pemex Station on our Baja trip...

I bought some 1/8 wall 2x6, and 2x2 tube from which to build a bumper and motorcycle carriers. Re-used the stock bumper mount brackets cut shorter, and welded to the 2x6 tube. That wasn't tall enough, so I welded another length of 2" square below that. A piece of angle fills in the tailgate gap.

It's hard to see, but I cut the center out of the 2x6 tube. That let me more easily install the plate, trailer connector, and tire winch cover, and got rid of a few pounds of metal I didn't need.

Here's the first fitup... Not too bad...

The hoops on the ends of the bumper are tie-downs for my camper. I used trailer U-bolts cut short. $4 for two of them. Score! :)

I had planned to make a separate hitch, but a test fit of the 2-1/2 x 3/16 wall square tube, it was obvious there wasn't room between the spare tire and my bumper. I opted instead to weld the receiver directly to the bumper, with some angle as additional reinforcement. This put the hitch about 2" higher than the stock receiver, which was perfect.

You can also see that I re-used the original hitch mounts as the foundation for the two side receivers. They also bolt to tabs at the lower bumper tube, so it all becomes one unit. Should be at least as strong as the factory receiver. Good for the towing I'll do with it! I welded on two 1/2" D-shackles for safety chains.

I put the original tire winch cover back in, and sunk the trailer connector opposite. Done. :)

(It's tough to take pictures in the sun...)

Has anyone else noticed that photobucket is really starting to suck?? The photo edit feature rarely succeeds in getting me what I want, and it really slows down my computer horribly on occasion. Might have to find another free photo host... :)

Next up: Welding two receivers into the ARB, and making two Motorcycle carriers!!!

Last edited:

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Very nice! I need to get on making a bumper for mine also, now would be the best time before the season of towing things sets in.
Funny, I have a set of those same Silverado wheels I was thinking of painting them white.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Where are you on the north shore? We used to spend a bunch of time in Batchawana, but I'm guessing you're farther west... Very pretty country!!! I did some early winter testing one year in Kapuskasing, and wow does it ever feel like the edge of civilization up there!! (Though there was a Tim Hortons, and a Canadian Tire, IIRC.)

When I did these wheels, I wasn't sure I'd like it, so I used plasti-dip, thinking I could just peel it off. Won't make that mistake again... Took way too many coats to cover, and white is expensive!! Just scotchbrite them and shoot them with some good 'ol Rustoleum. The "American Accents" stuff that says 2x Ultracover also says it sticks to plastic, and I've had zero issues with it coming off any of the plastics I've sprayed. (The clear powdercoat is kind of a plastic...)

Hope spring arrives for you soon!!

Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Nice job on the bumper and the spring pack looks great. How are you liking the new springs?

Jack

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Where are you on the north shore? We used to spend a bunch of time in Batchawana, but I'm guessing you're farther west... Very pretty country!!! I did some early winter testing one year in Kapuskasing, and wow does it ever feel like the edge of civilization up there!! (Though there was a Tim Hortons, and a Canadian Tire, IIRC.)

When I did these wheels, I wasn't sure I'd like it, so I used plasti-dip, thinking I could just peel it off. Won't make that mistake again... It took, way too many coats to cover, and white is expensive!! Just scotchbrite them and shoot them with some good 'ol Rustoleum. The "American Accents" stuff that says 2x Ultracover also says it sticks to plastic, and I've had zero issues with it coming off any of the plastics I've sprayed. (The clear powdercoat is kind of a plastic...)

Hope spring arrives for you soon!!

I am from Thunder bay actually, i do make a few trips a year east but usually head north at wawa. Batchawana bay is a great area, the whole drive between wawa and sault ste marie is actually pretty amazing isn't it? Id love to spend some time around there on the lake in the fall, everyone who has been there talks about the endless sunsets. i have some family living in kapuskasing and cochrane, one of my cousins works at the GM cold weather test facility in kap, very true not too much up there but there are some things to do walmart, canadian tire and tim hortons are the highlights. or you could hop a train from cochrane up to james bay which is a pretty awesome accomplishment. Even driving a couple hours from here, which isn't completely north, you will see lots of dwarfed vegetation giving you the feel that you truly are, up north.

You probably remember the former ago bay service station. I almost always stop in and wander around...

Spring is coming eventually, we have had a couple weeks of nice weather. We even started putting winter things away and today its a blizzard, must be at least 8" of snow out there already just today. How I would love to be in BAJA!

justcuz

Explorer
Was it on the north shore that they had that big blowdown in the forest along side the highway? I love the UP.
My folks had a place in southern Mi. (Temperance). Every time we went back to visit we would go up through the UP on our way back west that included a visit with my cousin in Sturgeon Bay. Traverse Bay Area and the peninsula is pretty too. People out west who have never been there have no idea!

1stDeuce

Explorer
I'm actually from Kalkaska, just east of Traverse City. Spent 5 years at Michigan Tech, and 7 doing winter test in Raco. Miss the UP, but CO is nice too. :)

1stDeuce

Explorer
Agawa service station nowadays...
(Links cut out)

Bushcoat, edit your post and use the bottom Photobuck Link, the one that starts "" and your pictures will show up instead of links.
Thanks, I forgot about that place... :)

[QUOTE="locrwln, post: 2048539"]Nice job on the bumper and the spring pack looks great. How are you liking the new springs?
Jack[/QUOTE]

I changed them so the truck will work well with the camper, not empty. They are pretty stiff around town, but not worse than with airbags.
I'm about to drop the camper in, so we'll see. :)

[QUOTE="justcuz, post: 2048709"]Are you looking at the backside of the bumper? See the backside of the license plate? The stock frame does not have a window in it like that.[/QUOTE]
You're late to the party... OP was talking about the C-channel frame, I think. (IIRC he was a Dodge guy... they have boxed frames on the later trucks. The GM frame is boxed only where it needs to be.)

Last edited:

1stDeuce

Explorer
Got the front "bike rack" receivers done last night and painted, so I put them on today at lunch. Rear bolt is to lowest frame mount bolt, front goes through the tow point on the ARB. PLENTY strong for a 250lb bike,and really easy to remove when I don't want to have a bike on the front.

Decided to toss the bike up there and strap it down to see how it fits.

From the driver's seat, I can see fine, but I think I'm going to lower it another 2" just because I can.
Even after I drop it 2" lower, it'll still have more clearance to the ground than my (upside-down) HF rack did. And with the smaller bike on the front, visibility will be better too.
Gonna work fine!! :)

Last edited:

1stDeuce

Explorer
And before anyone asks, the headlights are not going to work well. Fortunately, we will be doing NO night driving in Baja. Between the bumper and truck lights, I have enough turn signals that it shouldn't be an issue to see something flash from just about any angle either. :)

Last edited:

M35A2

Tinkerer
Looks good. A suggestion, though. Those vertical straps could be angled back to provide a scoche more approach angle and would also look more finished when the bike is not mounted. I might have missed it in case you decided against this for some reason, but perhaps also those forward-facing horizontal beams should themselves serve as the receiver tubes for the bike mounts. That gives you a couple of inches more clearance and, again, cleans up the appearance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles