Gen III Montero vs. 100 Series Land Cruiser

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I have a similar dilemma. Looking to take a year long road trip from Baja to the Arctic ocean in Alaska. Need 4x4+high clearance to assure access to whatever trailheads along the way. Gen 3 and 100 series are the smallest vehicles that my girlfriend and I can comfortably sleep in after putting in a sleeping platform. Will also add roof top box, and rack.

Budget 10k for whole build including solar power system, refrigerator, tires, sleeping platform

100 Series Advantages over Gen 3
Reliability?- Any 100 series I buy will have many more miles than any Gen 3 I buy
Capability
Durability
Cool Factor

Gen 3 Advantages over 100 Series
Price- It seems like I can get a 5 year newer and 60k miles less for 1500 less than 100 series....
Reliability?- The car will be much newer with less miles
Gas Mileage- Minor improvement over 100
Rear floor compartment for flip down rear seats will hold a 12v fridge completely under the sleeping platform
Bigger Sunroof
More cash left over to build out- I can afford to throw in an OME 2" lift and sliders

So what do you guys think? Newer Monty with less miles so I have the cash to lift and sliders or older, higher mileage 100 series and leave it bone stock.

Example cars I'm looking at:
2004 Gen 3 Limited 138k 5500 Immaculate
2000 100 204k 6900 (no locking rear diff) Cosmetic problems, 1 Owner, always serviced at dealership

Any help is much appreciated!!

You are correct, a fully outfitted gen 3 will still cost less than just a stock 100 series without any upgrades.

Box Rocket

Here's my two cents since I've spent considerable time in a 100 series and also in a Gen3 Montero, neither of which are my own vehicles but several friends/family have 100 series cruisers and my brother in law has a Montero. The Montero is actually a nice vehicle. Very comfortable to drive and I actually like the slightly smaller size. The IFS/IRS rides well and if you like moderate/high speed offroad touring its a blast to drive in that stuff. Fit an finish of the Montero are not quite up the quality of the LC and overall it doesn't feel as "solid" but still a nice ride. As I mentioned it's a bit smaller inside and out so if space is a concern, it's something to think about. In stock form the LC is just more heavy duty so failures and breakdowns are going to be less common. The aftermarket support for the Montero is MUCH smaller if not almost non-existent so if you plan on doing mods, you're options are few and you can be left looking at custom work. The unibody is part of what gives the Montero a nice ride but also makes it harder to work with in terms of suspension lifts, and doing things like bumpers and sliders with the lack of a true frame.
Personally I really like the styling of the Montero and have considered getting one many times but for my needs/wants I would want to modify it more than what is easily done without extensive custom work. That's really the only reason I haven't given one a try.
All that said, the durability of the LC is better and the torsion bars ride well. If you upgrade the suspension to something like OME the beefier torsion bars still ride well.

BOPOH

Explorer
accidently stumbled upon this thread, you should ask this question on Mitsu page. There are few people that take their GenIII to Rubicon trail and are not complaining about unibody. expect some biased opinions but at least it will be real life and extensive experience

Box Rocket

I don't think the unibody isn't capable of getting through difficult terrain, Jeep Cherokees have been doing hardcore trails with a unibody for decades. There are just other drawbacks to unibodies (as any Cherokee owner can attest). There are solutions, it's just a bit tricky with a unibody instead of some much simpler solutions with a body on frame chassis. The biggest "on trail" drawback I've found with my Brother in Law's Montero is lack of suspension travel. The thing is CONSTANTLY lifting a tire. If you have lockers it's not a big deal but if your goal is moderate/technical terrain the lack of wheel travel might be something to consider and look at finding ways to remedy that.

BOPOH

Explorer
i agree with you, however a lot depends on the driver as well. I've been taking my Gen2.5 montero everywhere and many people been really surprised what it can do, but everybody was completely blown away by guy who did some insane trails with stock-ish Kia Sorento(no lift nor lockers) that's his DD with baby seat inside. Personally, i dont consider IFS/IRS suspension as a negative thing at all. Most solid axles will require substantial amount of money to flex far enough to make a difference, even though suspension flex is nice it's not as beneficial as lockers. Also agree on the point about easy lifting options, but it's also not super important (to me, especially after seeing Kia out there). Lift is awesome and sometimes i wish i have more, but with armor you can slide and "carefully" approach with higher speed to clear an obstacle. Comparing Montero to Jeep about unibody i have to mention that everyone who owns jeep complain about poor welding that come apart , didn't hear about the same issue with Monteros

Not offending or praising, just my 2 cents

Last edited:

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Monteros are well known for their durability, reliability, and competence. Failures are really, really uncommon. I have been told by faithful Toyota guys that the Mitsu is more competent in stock form; since they're far less expensive, there's much more bang for the buck. Mine has done some pretty technical terrain in unmodified condition, including Eye of the Whale in Arches and Elephant Hill in Canyonlands. No problems.

Of course, aftermarket support is far greater for Toyota. The argument can be made, though, that the Montero doesn't need the mods to be a highly capable vehicle. Unibody? Independent suspension? Non issues. It's NOT a crawler or a mudder. It is a very competent, reliable, comfortable overlander.

kins18q

Adventurer
Great info guys

Thank you guys for the response. I have been leaning towards the Gen3 for a while and just havent been able to find the right one. Found a 2003 Limited 150k for 3600 but it had a messed up coolant system...a bit scared of what that may mean. So here I wait, tempted by 100 series. Just found another 100 series 1999 169k rear locker for 6500...Going to check that out soon seems like a steal.

I do really like the idea that a fridge can fit in the rear compartment that used to house the flip down third row in the Gen 3 though... Especially since we will be putting in a sleeping platform. Not sure a 100 series could accommodate a fridge and a sleeping platform without my nose touching the roof...

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Thank you guys for the response. I have been leaning towards the Gen3 for a while and just havent been able to find the right one. Found a 2003 Limited 150k for 3600 but it had a messed up coolant system...a bit scared of what that may mean. So here I wait, tempted by 100 series. Just found another 100 series 1999 169k rear locker for 6500...Going to check that out soon seems like a steal.

I do really like the idea that a fridge can fit in the rear compartment that used to house the flip down third row in the Gen 3 though... Especially since we will be putting in a sleeping platform. Not sure a 100 series could accommodate a fridge and a sleeping platform without my nose touching the roof...

For that same $6500 you could buy a gen 3 with the 3.8 engine that is 5 years newer than the 100 series and add the freezer and sleeping platform, AND have money left over for a few weekend trips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles