Another OzTent Groupie

brushogger

Explorer
Nice tent. I have seen the OZ tent a few times online.

Just curious, why did you choose an OZTENT over a roof-top tent?

We have an RV-4. We chose it over a rtt because we are getting ready to purchase a couple of kayaks, and didn't want to have to dismount the boats to set up camp. Also, We don't have to break camp to go exploring. I can have the OZ completely set and staked, with the kitchen setup and the air matress inflated in less than 5 min. That was our goal. I'm currently buliding a cage/case out of 3/4 tubing to fit on the rack and be able to lock up the tent when away from the truck. We also bought one side panel to use as a wind/sun break if needed since it can be used on either side of the awning.

IZZYDUSIT

Adventurer
Well, I must say a huge "thank you" to Randy the Oz tent distributor! he took the time to walk me through the repair/ replacement of the broken joints , and I got it done in time for last weekend outing.
I thought the repair was a little "pita" but I still love my OZ!
Just wish they improve the joints to more "expedition" worthy strength, metal of some sort if you will.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Well, I must say a huge "thank you" to Randy the Oz tent distributor! he took the time to walk me through the repair/ replacement of the broken joints , and I got it done in time for last weekend outing.
I thought the repair was a little "pita" but I still love my OZ!
Just wish they improve the joints to more "expedition" worthy strength, metal of some sort if you will.

what model is your tent ? any idea if the joint issue a few have had is related to a certain size ?

IZZYDUSIT

Adventurer
what model is your tent ? any idea if the joint issue a few have had is related to a certain size ?

RV3, not sure it's size related, I would say they all are heavy- and when you deploy the side poles outward, be sure to keep them low to the ground!! that what the reason why mine broke- my son pull the up a little to make them easier to carry as you swing them out and that put stress on the plastic joints.
a BOLD warning or perhaps a metal joints would eliminate that problem especially when you are in the boonies..

Honu

lost on the mainland
RV3, not sure it's size related, I would say they all are heavy- and when you deploy the side poles outward, be sure to keep them low to the ground!! that what the reason why mine broke- my son pull the up a little to make them easier to carry as you swing them out and that put stress on the plastic joints.
a BOLD warning or perhaps a metal joints would eliminate that problem especially when you are in the boonies..

thanks :) some people cant remember where I read it ? said the RV2 model uses a dif joint inside ? like it was in a dif position all together than the other ones ? and that was the issue ? so that is where the curiosity came from

thanks again

LawnDart-XJ

Observer
We are also OZ tent converts. Loading our up tonight for a trip to the UP of Michigan. will get some pics from up there. here she is. OZ tent jet tent F25X
backyardnofly.jpg

southhavencamp.jpg

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
I really like this tent, but how do you carry it in your vehicle? All models except the RV1 are 2m long packed according to Oztent's propaganda and I have a 6 foot bed on my tacoma. I would just go with the RV1 but I am 6'2" and its not that good a fit for me. Am I missing something?

Lichen

Explorer
I really like this tent, but how do you carry it in your vehicle? All models except the RV1 are 2m long packed according to Oztent's propaganda and I have a 6 foot bed on my tacoma. I would just go with the RV1 but I am 6'2" and its not that good a fit for me. Am I missing something?

I have an RV-3 and it hangs a good 12" off the back of the BajaRack on my FJC. They are long and cumberson.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist

Your math is good. I have an RV2 and I'm 72 inches. You may have to sleep angled in the tent. As far as loading in the Tacoma, I load it angled inside the bed - one end in the PS front corner, other end resting in the DS rear corner. That allows me access to my ARB fridge mounted to the bed in the rear PS of the bed. Learning from my amphibious heritage I "combat load" my gear. The thing most accessible is my tent which I erect first and then distribute the gear. The first gear I pack in the truck is all that pack-able equipment and the last thing on top is the tent. Works very well for me especially in inclement weather, keeping stuff as dry as possible.

Last edited:

LawnDart-XJ

Observer

You are correct about the original design OZ tents. RV type. The Jet tents pack into a large duffel bag that would fit in the Taco no problem. Our Jet tent 25x fits in the XJ across the back of the cargo area or down one of the sides with the seat down. We now carry it on our Front Runner rack being it is just narrower than the width of the rack. Pic to come from recent trip.

LawnDart-XJ

Observer
Here is a picture of our F25X set up on the shore of Lake Superior. We had lots onf rain and 65 - 70 MPH winds hence the way we had the awning set up. Did not get a drop of rain in the tent and slept like babies.
TENTREADYFORTHEWIND.jpg

SSF556

SE Expedition Society

If you check out my pic in the OP...I bought a new Thule Ascent 1100 cargo box off of CL for $200. I can fit the RV-4, all the accesory bags, 2 camp chairs, a roll up table and legs, broom, and hiking boots in the cargo box. The RV-4 fits in perfectly length wise. Some guys were watching me load up at the last campsite and they were amazed I got all those things in the box..it is tight. And it keeps everything nice and dry. It may not be the "expo" look, but it works for me.

And I have room on the drivers side to carry 2 mtn bikes.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Any recent trips with your jet tent ? still happy with ?

finally pulling the trigger on a tent and trying to narrow things down this week if we can :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94