Arizona to Oregon on trails

gt6star

Observer
Day Eight May 23rd

We woke up early and broke camp quickly, rain again.... I want next door and woke up our neighbor ( he had asked for a wake up before we left, apparently he slept till 1530 the day before and didnt want to Rip Van Winkle another day away) We headed down the coast towards Tierra Del Mar, when Nola spied a small road that led out onto the beach, and a sign explaining the rules of driving on the beach. I didnt know you could still do this in North America without the enviro police aresting you. We gleafully hit the flat sand and roared down the beach, splashing thru the surf as if in some realy cheasy 70s jeep commercial! The salt air smelled great, like a huge air freshioner:wings: We drove down the beach toward a massive out cropping called Haystack Rock, think One Eyed Willy's hide out from Goonies here. At the other end of the beach we saw another couple with a jeep and a dog, they were collecting muscles for dinner. I didnt have a clue what they were looking for. I played with there dog "Lewie" for for a while, tossing a stick out across the beach and watching Lewie chearfully run and get it to bring it back to me. I fealt like a 12 year old kid again. After tiring Lewie I decided to go exploring on foot, gravitated towards the sound of thunder behind some massive rocks, I carefully stepped over star fish and other squishy sea creature to an opening in the rock where I was promptly met by the raging Pacific ocean. About 30000 gallons of it al least, exploding through the rocks and soaking me to the bone. As the water retreated I could hear the waves laughing at me, or was that Nola?

After playing on the beach for about an hour I could hear the Jeep beginning to rust, I figured it was a good time for a car wash. We drove on down to Pacific City and hit the car wash, we also did a load of laundry and got some groceries. WE got a 5 pound block of dry ice to see how it held up in our cooler too. After our stop we kept driving down the coast enjoying stunning ocean views and quaint Oregon seaside towns. We passed through towns like Depoe Bay and Otter Rock, Newport and South Beach on our way to Coos Bay, where Nola had grown up. We drove around Coos Bay and Nola pointed out places from her childhood, we stopped at an extremely good mom and pop pizza place for dinner. After dinner we decided to start looking for a campsite, first we went to the sand dunes neer Coos Bay thinking we could easily find a spot, nope, there were signs everywhere telling us nothing was allowed anywhere. So we decided to head for the hills east of town, we drove around aimlessly in the mountains looking at one pay campsite after another $20 for a spot to park is robbery Oregon! In our driving and searching we were growing a little frustrated, thats when the suicidal duck came out of nowhere and flew right into the front of the jeep, we were going about 65 mph. He slammed against the grill bounced up onto the hood and danced the jig of death as he flopped all the way across the hood. We recovered from that quickly and pressed on into the hills, that when I noticed that one of our headlights was ponting up into the trees and flopping around, that damned duck broke my driver side headlight mount! I fealt less bad for him then. I rigged the headlight up with (Ironicly) duck tape, this is exactly he kind of thing duck tape was invented for, I quipped as I made the repair. We found a small clearing in the woods and turned in, We couldnt see what was around us and we didnt care as long as we didnt pull into Leatherface's back yard I was fine with it. We made camp quickly and slept in the jeep. We slept like babies........

Attachments

• IMG_4291.JPG
    IMG_4291.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4296.JPG
    IMG_4296.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 191
  • IMG_4298.JPG
    IMG_4298.JPG
    808.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4293.JPG
    IMG_4293.JPG
    731.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4333.JPG
    IMG_4333.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4292.JPG
    IMG_4292.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4313.JPG
    IMG_4313.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4294.JPG
    IMG_4294.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4301.JPG
    IMG_4301.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 52

addicted56

Adventurer
Just a great time reading thru your thread. I would love to do something like that.

To explain the no-self serve law in Oregon it was created around 1950 (could be wrong on the date). It was originally created not due to safety laws but to help with high unemployment. This was the case again when it came up for review in the 1980's but again unemployment was the major factor. It came up again in 2002 and was subsequently followed by more "justifications of which there are about 15 I believe. Some really stupid like toxic fumes to the fuelers (wow feel bad for the guy filling hundreds of cars every day with no protection) and danger to children in cars left unattended. PLEASE. Fuel prices in our town back home are about 50 cents a gallon more than where I'm at now.

I never knew any better growing up and hated having to fuel up on my own the first few months of living out of state. But now I will never go back. The lines and HUGE amount of time you can waste at a fuel stop can get old really quick. You hear the pump click off and it takes 5 minutes for the lone worker to get back to you. It is nice though on the Oregon Coast when it is blowing 45 MPH raining sideways and about 45 degrees outside.

The only reason Oregon unemployment is so high is all of the regulation on EVERYTHING in that country. Businesses leave left and right. Yes we have no sales TAX which is awesome. All other states will be the eventuall demise of the penny...I hate now getting 93 cents in chage and having to carry it in my pocket when something costs 1.99. But the TAX on everything else is OUTRAGEOUS.

As to your liscense plate...yeah that is a crazy law. You just have to make a lot more plates which adds to the price. But most states won't let you reuse your plates or registration from the PO when you get a new car so they are no better. That Sherriff is just ignorant to the rest of the world.

I wish I would have seen this and known where you were going before you left. My parents are still both in North Bend (not the north side of bend)/Coos Bay and had a place just off the North Bend Bridge you could have stayed at overnight. That or there is good camping out on Horsefall beach. You have to pay and it is just a parking lot but it is not bad.

Lastly I actually think I know your wife. I am in the military as well and am now in Alabama but I believe I went to elementary and part of high school with your wife.

Last edited:

gt6star

Observer
Oregon Info

Thanks for the info on Oregon. I hope I didnt leave the impression I didnt like the place, just the opposite, I loved it, the weather the people the landscape were all awesome. I do agree the over-regulation of everything on that side of the country realy is getting stupid. It was great being able to plan. save for, and actualy execute this trip, in the beginning I thought it was just a pipe dream too, but once we were underway I asked my self why we don't do this every other month! The hardest part was getting the leave situation worked out (Air Force). The single most expensive item was fuel. We ate peanut butter and Jelly sandwiches most days, so that kept the cost of food waaaaaay down. We took way more food than we ever ate. Upon returning home we took inventory of what we had left and found that we have about a month supply of spam and raman to go thru still. As for the trip report, I've still got more to write, its just been a busy few days, I'll post more. Its cool that you may know Nola, she also went to highschool with Chris from Bay Area expeditions when she lived in Cali. We ran into him at the Overland Expo in Amado this year and hope to be able to go on one of his Black Rock trips soon. Thanks for reading, and thanks again for the Oregon info. Stay tuned......

gt6star

Observer
Unexpected News....

Sorry for the lul in the postings but we just found out that we brought home more than just memories and pictures, Nola is pregnant!:Wow1: As far as we can tell it happened somewhere on the dusty trail between Arizona and Oregon! As you can imagine we have a thousand things running through our head, this is our first child and we are excited to bring he or she into the world and hope that we instill our love of adventure and exploring into the little ones heart.:av-7: If there are any out there with experience with having a little one along on your adventures I'd love to hear your stories!

Thanks for following us, I promise we will add more updates soon

Eric and Nola

d0va

Observer
Congratz
what a perfect way to get pregnant, this is going to be some adventurous baby ;) better wash out!!!

dirty Bakers

Conservative
How cool and congratulations on your new venture. Amanda and I feel it is our obligation to take our children camping/outdoors. We never hesitated to camp even if they were a few weeks old. With our first child when she was three months old we spent a week on the beach near carslbad in a little camp trailer.

RusherRacing

Adventurer
Thats awsome Congrats! This time last year my wife and I found out the same news following a simlar trip :)

I can't believe how much my life has changed in 1 year! Have fun with your new chapter in life, things change but it is all worth it...

Goochm

Observer
Oregon gas pumps

I think it's the high school lobby that keeps the antiquated "can't pump your own gas" law in effect...

raintoy

Wow great write up and congrats on the baby! My little guy is 11 months now, and does great when adventuring!

It was great to see you roll through my hometown (Pacific City) and enjoy the scenery, we think it's beautiful here.

gt6star

Observer
Day Nine May 24th

We awoke in what turned out to be a small clearing in the woods, the trail we came in on being the only access point to this clearing and I could see no discernable use for this area other than a small campground. We got up, got out of the jeep and packed up camp, breakfast was a granola bar and some tea, we had a lot to do today. Our ultimate goal was to get to Medford Oregon where Nolas parents live. On the way we wanted to see Crater Lake and hopefully find a replacement headlight for the one Daffy Duck took out the night before. We drove down from our creepy mountain campsite after thankfully no run ins with Leatherface:coffee: We pointed the nose back to Coos Bay to find a Jeep dealership, once there we ordered a headlight and aranged for it to be shipped to a dealership in Medford where we would pick it up. Than we gassed up with the help of Oregons mandatory gas station attendant and headed towards Crater Lake. We passed through Canyonville and on to Tiller stopping to play in the South Umpqua River, the water was freezing but clear and swift moving. I walked out to the middle of the river and let the icy water rush around me, I was surely wide awake after that! I talked Nola into wading into the water and for a few seconds as well. We dried off and drove on through sleepy little towns and miles of trees and stunning views. This is what I always thought Oregon looked like, it dosnt dissapoint. After a few mre hours of driving we made it to the foothills of the Crater lake range, we climded from warm breezes to cool air, to cold air, till finaly we were driving down a road with 10 feet of snow on both sides, we made it to the rim of Crater Lake not prepaired for the cold and snow, I struggled up a huge snow drift to get a glimps of the lake itself, falling on my *** much to the amusment of Nola (good thing it takes a second to get the Iphone camera up)
The Lake: Words cannot describe the stunning beauty of this place. The white snow and crystal clear blue water contrast sharply against a clear dark blue sky and green trees, as if normal eyesight is somehow made sharper when looking out across the lake. We spent a few minutes looking out across the lake and then began heading back down the mountain towards Medford. We stopped for lunch at a small campsite just below the snow line. Hot dogs and beans! It was going to be a fun drive now:snorkel: The drive to Medford was more awesome Oregon countryside and and great twisty roads, the kind of roads that you wish you had a sports car or motorcycle for, a heavily loaded Jeep handles like a dump truck, even still the drive was fun. We pulled into Medford late in the afternoon and arived at Nolas dads house. Our "campsite" for the next 2 days. We slept like babies............

Attachments

• IMG_4351.JPG
    IMG_4351.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_4372.JPG
    IMG_4372.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4368.JPG
    IMG_4368.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4371.JPG
    IMG_4371.JPG