First Gun - what shot gun

frumpy

Explorer
I want to go new just because I want the warranty and don't know 100% what I would be buying and could easily wind up with a screwed up useless gun that I can't use.

The savage 220 is $490 here and the Remington with 20" rifled barrel and 26" which will allow me to do more but be less accurate. Walmart doesn't sell guns here, only air guns and ammo, both of which are locked up and limited supply.

96discoXD

Adventurer
Get an 870 combo and then you can use it for upland bird/small game hunting with the 26 or 28" barrel and deer or large game with a rifled barrel. Just my .02 if you can get a barrel with a cantilever scope mount opt for that versus iron sights. I have an 870 deer special with synthetic stocks and the cantilever barrel with a nice Nikon scope for places I can't use my rifle locally, and then another 870 with a 28" barrel that I use for pheasant/upland bird hunting.

The 870 is a proven design with lots of inexpensive aftermarket support/accessories.

frumpy

Explorer
Test went good tonight. I didn't do the course and am very glad I didn't waste my money on it. I got 100% on the written portion and 98% on the practical. My only mistake (and in my opinion it was a big one) was putting a lever action into half cock my hands were sweaty and the cocking hammer slipped. Guy asked a few questions and then said no biggie as I was "on a range" and the muzzle was pointed down range in a safe direction.

Time to play the waiting game and go window shopping.

surfj9009

Knoxx makes a few different types of stocks and pistol grips for the 870 that have recoil suppression in them.

You can also get a cheaper 870 clone like the Pardner Pump or Norinco 982. IMO they're sturdier than the Express (all metal) and upgrade the pieces you'd like for cheaper.

Base platform ($180): https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/16597 (I've seen them at Academy too.)
Wilson mag ext ($45): http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Extension-Tube-Right-Hand-1-Shot-12-Gauge/productinfo/SGET-RH-1/
Wolf mag spring ($7): http://www.gunsprings.com/Rifles & ...878, 11-48, SPT-48, SPT-58/cID2/mID108/dID216 (#32712)
Knoxx stock ($ 135): http://www.blackhawk.com/product/specops-adjustable-shotgun-stock,1158,1447.htm (They have folders, AR style, pistol grips, etc. all with the recoil suppression technology built into them)

Also: research here....http://www.shotgunworld.com/

All the upgrades are very simple.

I like this approach because you can afford the base model and shoot it. Then upgrade the parts as money comes. You also get to figure out what you want AFTER shooting it. You may change your mind on certain options.

I would follow this advice for a first gun. If this is not to your liking then go with either an 870 or Benelli SuperNova. I love mine.......

frumpy

Explorer
I guess I should have updated this thread. I ended up going with the Mossberg 500 3 barrel combo and am very happy with it. Also bought a marlin 795 and am going to be purchasing a centre fire rifle next year.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
870 wingmaster is a solid shotgun but you got that covered.
IDk what your needs are rifle wise so what your going to do with it is important. I shoot ruger but have been extremley lucky in that my MOA is much tighter than there average tested rifles. It is an older ruger M77 featherlight 30.06 bolt (I prefer bolt) with a leopold VX2 3-9.
I am also a big fan if the rem M700 in almost any caliber. Right before I got laid off I put 800 down on a RUM .300 that was on the extreme side with accessories and scope. it is still for sale and I hope to get re hired before it is gone.
many would disagree with me but my fave calibers are 22-250, 30.06, and the 300 RUM.

skysix

Adventurer
Neostead NS-2000 (legal in Canada) - check with MilArm in Edmonton. The Keltek KSG or the UTAS UTS-15 would also be good for survival in the north as well as home defense - just not great for hunting...

frumpy

Explorer
The two I'm looking at for rifles are pretty much oppisites. Either Mosin Nagant (found an arsenal stock one for $105) or Savage axis mp in 308 or .223

If no one has said it yet then I will.

Get a Benelli you'll never want another shotgun. Follow up shots are quick, and it shoots incredibly clean. I've had my SBE2 for 4 years and it's been dead nuts reliable, feeding the cheap stuff at Wal-Mart to the $45 dollar a box Duck loads. If you don't believe me just try one. Find someone that has one and shoot some skeet. The only ones that might handle better are the over/unders, but the new Vinci has a balance that would even rival those.

bugnout

Adventurer
I guess I should have updated this thread. I ended up going with the Mossberg 500 3 barrel combo and am very happy with it. Also bought a marlin 795 and am going to be purchasing a centre fire rifle next year.

Good decision, Solid shotgun, highly flexible and reliable, Lots of market support so you should be able to add the stock you want without breaking the bank. I have 2 Mossberg 500's and 6 different barrels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior