First Gun - what shot gun

frumpy

Explorer
I have done a little research and some talking to my brother who is also looking into buying a shot gun (he already has a Remington bolt action rifle). I am defiantly a newb into the gun world civi side but have been military for the past 7 years so I have fired your bassic AR series stuff, browning 9mm, and your typical 5.56 and 7.62 machine guns :ar15:

I am looking at challenging the firearms course and getting my license in the near future. I don't know why but I have always liked shotguns (maybe because I have't got to fire/play with them). I am looking at a lower end entry level shot gun that will be used 99% for fun with the possibility of hunting in the future (biggest thing would be deer).

So far I have narrowed it down to the Maveric 88, Mossberg 535, and Remington 870. A little all over the place but all seem to be decent shotguns with advantages and disadvantages.

broken1

Observer
A few years ago I was looking at the Mossberg 500s and Remmy 870s as well. I went with the 870 in 7 shot black synthetic flavor. My two factors were Remmy safety is located on the triggerguard, to the rear, in a cross-bolt fashion similar to other firearms I had, and the receiver is all steel. Mossberg 500's safety is found on the top of the receiver tang, not an uncommon location, I just didn't like it. I am sure that Mossberg's aluminum receiver is fine. The military uses(d) it in 590 flavor, and lots of people love it, but I didn't and I spend my money on what is right for me, as you should. Also, the trigger guard, unless you get a a Mossberg 590 the trigger guard is plastic, as is the safety. Again, I am sure it is fine, but I didn't like it.

On the downside of the 870 is the action unlock lever is forward of the trigger guard and on the left hand side. It's fine for me but some people don't like that. If you don't get the 7 shot, it requires minor modification to add a mag extension. meh. No big deal to me, but OBE for the 7 shot.

I don't know anything about the Maverick other than it is made by Mossberg to meet a lower price point so I would pass. If there is anything great about them maybe I would pass out of ignorance, or get into a lot of research.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the 870 or the 535. A lot of LEOs have fielded the 870, and a lot of sportsmen too. A lot of military have fielded the 590 and a lot of sportsmen too. Look at the various differences and decide which are important to you and which way it swings you.

Whatever you do, buy it in a configuration that most closely meets your primary intended usage. You can always reconfigure in the future. I bought my 870 7-shot for home defense. My 870 can be a duck gun, a deer gun, a breaching gun, etc... it is just a matter of changing barrels, dropping the mag extension and some accessories.

Just one man's opinion take it for what it is worth...

frumpy

Explorer
Thanks for the info, I'm not going to make any decisions until I actually get to hold some and see what I'm comfortable with but I wanted to know some info on them (or others).

One thing I was wondering is for most shotguns, can the normal stock be swapped out (back and forth) for a pistol grip. I think it would be fun on the range or in home defence mode but not too useful to have a pistol grip for hunting.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
A few years ago I was looking at the Mossberg 500s and Remmy 870s as well. I went with the 870 in 7 shot black synthetic flavor. My two factors were Remmy safety is located on the triggerguard, to the rear, in a cross-bolt fashion similar to other firearms I had, and the receiver is all steel. Mossberg 500's safety is found on the top of the receiver tang, not an uncommon location, I just didn't like it. I am sure that Mossberg's aluminum receiver is fine. The military uses(d) it in 590 flavor, and lots of people love it, but I didn't and I spend my money on what is right for me, as you should. Also, the trigger guard, unless you get a a Mossberg 590 the trigger guard is plastic, as is the safety. Again, I am sure it is fine, but I didn't like it.

On the downside of the 870 is the action unlock lever is forward of the trigger guard and on the left hand side. It's fine for me but some people don't like that. If you don't get the 7 shot, it requires minor modification to add a mag extension. meh. No big deal to me, but OBE for the 7 shot.

I don't know anything about the Maverick other than it is made by Mossberg to meet a lower price point so I would pass. If there is anything great about them maybe I would pass out of ignorance, or get into a lot of research.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the 870 or the 535. A lot of LEOs have fielded the 870, and a lot of sportsmen too. A lot of military have fielded the 590 and a lot of sportsmen too. Look at the various differences and decide which are important to you and which way it swings you.

Whatever you do, buy it in a configuration that most closely meets your primary intended usage. You can always reconfigure in the future. I bought my 870 7-shot for home defense. My 870 can be a duck gun, a deer gun, a breaching gun, etc... it is just a matter of changing barrels, dropping the mag extension and some accessories.

Just one man's opinion take it for what it is worth...

This post /\ pretty much covers it...lol. nice job.

I went with an 870, too. I went the other way, bought an 870 express 5 shot, and converted for home defense with a 18.5" aftermarket barrel.

I had that gun for about 10 years and sold it recently to help buy a handgun. I'm honestly thinking about another longgun and am thinking a synthetic stocked "security" style 870 will be the way to go for me. Might even spring for the Marine model with the cool anti-corrosion finish.

One of my main reasons is that i would like to get into 3-gun shoots and already have a solid 9mm to use, and simply can't decide on the rifle component. I figure I can take my pistol, shottie, and possibly borrow a few rifles for a few shoots before I decide what to buy for that portion.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the info, I'm not going to make any decisions until I actually get to hold some and see what I'm comfortable with but I wanted to know some info on them (or others).

One thing I was wondering is for most shotguns, can the normal stock be swapped out (back and forth) for a pistol grip. I think it would be fun on the range or in home defence mode but not too useful to have a pistol grip for hunting.

Yes, it's very easy to swap out the normal monte carlo (i think) type stock.

You can get these different configurations:

-pistol grip only
-AR15 style with adjustable stock and pistol grip
-pistol grip with folding wire framed stock
-pistol grip with top folding stock a la Terminator 2 (Sarah connor 1 hand cocking scene)
-pistol grip with full solid stock (used on a lot of turkey guns now-a-days, actually)

It usually only requires one bolt be removed. Very reversable...

What's cool, too, is that from a company called Knoxx, you can get most of these in a recoil reducing format that, most agree, helps in controlling the push of the 12ga round. I honestly never had issues with recoil, but I'm a fairly large, strong dude. My wife on the other hand would have appreciated something like that and probably would have shot it more. lol. Also check out "Speedfeed" stocks.

I can honestly say I've tried most of TacStar's components for the 870, and most of them are junk. Buyer beware.

If you want tactical stuff for your shottie, check out wilson combat, or possibly Vang Comp.

cheers!

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
If you are thinking pistol or thumbhole grip then for sure go with an 870. The tang mount safety on the Mossberg makes it tough to reach with anything but a conventional stock. Also think about whether you will ever need or want to shoot 3 1/2 inch shells. You will need to get one set up for magnum shells. I would stay away from any pump 3 1/2" gun though, the throw on the pump gets to be very long and unless you are built like a chimp it's easy to not go far enough and end up with miss feeds.
Both guns are solid performers with a huge aftermarket support, the Remmy just has a rifle style safety while the Mossberg accepts a traditional break open shotgun safety location.

DeMented Toys

Adventurer
What military have you been in that shoots a Browning 9mm? Canadian?

My advice, as a US military firearms and tactics instructor, is to go take the training course. You may just learn useful information from it. :) Especially if you will use the gun for home defense or personal protection.

I recommend the Remington 870 shotgun in 12 gauge. They are very reliable.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
If you are thinking pistol or thumbhole grip then for sure go with an 870. The tang mount safety on the Mossberg makes it tough to reach with anything but a conventional stock. Also think about whether you will ever need or want to shoot 3 1/2 inch shells. You will need to get one set up for magnum shells. I would stay away from any pump 3 1/2" gun though, the throw on the pump gets to be very long and unless you are built like a chimp it's easy to not go far enough and end up with miss feeds.
Both guns are solid performers with a huge aftermarket support, the Remmy just has a rifle style safety while the Mossberg accepts a traditional break open shotgun safety location.

:elkgrin:

This cracked me up...lol. :D

frumpy

Explorer
What military have you been in that shoots a Browning 9mm? Canadian?

My advice, as a US military firearms and tactics instructor, is to go take the training course. You may just learn useful information from it. :) Especially if you will use the gun for home defense or personal protection.

I recommend the Remington 870 shotgun in 12 gauge. They are very reliable.

Yup, Canadian.

I have spoke to a few people (military who have done the course, instructors, local shooting club president who is ex military, and a gun store owner) and they have all said the course is basically a read through of the manual on power point. Also, the next course is June when I am out of the area and next one after that is fall.

frumpy

Explorer
I just talked to the guy that does the challenge tests, they run every Wed and he said shouldn't be a problem for myself. My only concern is I haven't handled any civilian weapons. The guy said he can't do a "demo" prior to the test but he can let me handle it and point out features/parts on the gun. I would have to handle a shotgun, rifle and something else (long gun, no pistols/assault rifles)

I have also narrowed it down to two Maverick 88 (due to cost) and Remington 870 (due to ruggedness and ability to upgrade). Either way I would like to get the AR15 style with adjustable stock and pistol grip.

Last edited:

frumpy

Explorer
Well I have my shotgun picked out after going back into the store again (and no surprise its about the price of both a Remington 870 I was looking at AND the maverick). Its the 870 express tactical with 18" barrel and folding stock :)

Its $520 but if I pay cash he will knock 20 bucks off, the cheapest 870 he had there was just a normal express for $380. So, I'm pretty much going to save up the extra money for the folding stock one unless I can't wait (then upgrade later).

Remington870R5059FoldingStock.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
ive fired that exact one a lot, one of my buddies had it. i dont think the pistol grip is very nice on a 12ga. lose accuracy and your wrist will hurt after a good shooting session. if you need the shorter length from the folding stock them by all means go for it. and if you hate it you can always get a standard stock for pretty cheap and swap them out.

Mexican_Hippie

Knoxx makes a few different types of stocks and pistol grips for the 870 that have recoil suppression in them.

You can also get a cheaper 870 clone like the Pardner Pump or Norinco 982. IMO they're sturdier than the Express (all metal) and upgrade the pieces you'd like for cheaper.

Base platform ($180): https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/16597 (I've seen them at Academy too.)
Wilson mag ext ($45): http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Extension-Tube-Right-Hand-1-Shot-12-Gauge/productinfo/SGET-RH-1/
Wolf mag spring ($7): http://www.gunsprings.com/Rifles & ...878, 11-48, SPT-48, SPT-58/cID2/mID108/dID216 (#32712)
Knoxx stock ($ 135): http://www.blackhawk.com/product/specops-adjustable-shotgun-stock,1158,1447.htm (They have folders, AR style, pistol grips, etc. all with the recoil suppression technology built into them)

Also: research here....http://www.shotgunworld.com/

All the upgrades are very simple.

I like this approach because you can afford the base model and shoot it. Then upgrade the parts as money comes. You also get to figure out what you want AFTER shooting it. You may change your mind on certain options.

frumpy

Explorer
I know this one is probably way out there (compared to what I have been looking at) but what about a savage 220 slug shotgun? I think it would be more practical for the range and if I get into hunting. If I don't go with that I will probably go with the remington 870 combo (slug barrel and 28" barrel) or even just a 22 for this year so I can shoot a ton and then decide what I want.

johnsoax

Adventurer
The 870 is the longest running, best selling shotgun in existence. You should easily be able to buy a used one in good shape. I bought mine three years ago (Express Magnum, 5 round magazine) for $220 used. It was practically brand new as the previous owner barely ever used it.

Heck, Walmart sells the same gun new for under $250 now. At least here in the States.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles