NATO 20 Liter Jerry Can

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I've bought several from DO. Be advised that recently they got hammered for selling non-CARB approved cans to Californians, so their newest batch of cans are stamped "NOT FOR FUEL USE" - basically they're selling them as "replicas" or for water cans.

Not sure what the legal implications of actually putting fuel into one - I suspect if a LEO was in a bad mood or looking to give you a hard time, you could be cited for "fuel in non-approved container", though I'm not sure what the penalties for such a thing would be.

thospb

Observer
I believe the penalty in The Peoples Republic of California, if you are caught by the agents of the California Air Resources Board, is summary execution. Followed by confiscation of all your worldly goods and enslavement of any surviving family members within 3 degrees of relation. If you commit this heinous crime within the jurisdiction of the South Coast Air Quality Management District there is a further fine involved.
Personnally, I am willing to take the risk.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
...and enslavement of any surviving family members within 3 degrees of relation...

They couldn't do this in other parts of the country because EVERYONE would end up enslaved.:elkgrin::ylsmoke:

And back on topic, I also bought 4 of their Jerry cans previously. Nothing but good things to say about them.

wcdu

Observer
I also bought 4 of their cans. Great can, good service, and a fair price. I would add that the filler nozzles I got with the cans and the subsequent one I ordered leaked like crazy. Anyhow, I found myself using some JB Weld to fix a water feature in the yard and figure "Why not"? I applied just a small amount to three holes at the base of the nozzle and it appears to have worked.

I might also add that the gasket material in the can opening appears to have dissolved a bit when I used one of the cans for gasoline. It doesn't leak but I thought I would share that also.

Steve

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I might also add that the gasket material in the can opening appears to have dissolved a bit when I used one of the cans for gasoline. It doesn't leak but I thought I would share that also.

Steve

IIRC, the original gaskets are for Diesel Fuel & to use for Gasoline you're supposed to replace the gaskets with Viton (sp?) gaskets.

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
i bought a bunch from them and they are great quality (bought new and surplus) if the gasket is pink/red, gas and diesel will destroy it its for water only. you can order new black gaskets for them all over for about a buck each. I am not sure about the lining of the cans but you should be ok with gas. they have worked for me.

if you can find a swiss nozzle they are by far the best and will not leak at all but they are expensive (mine came with a fuel proof case and 2 new gaskets). most other nozzles for sale are from china and are total junk, better off using a syphon. the swiss nozzle will drain a 5 gal can faster than any gas station pump i have ever seen.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Alternatively a super siphon or equivalent also works great for me. The gas can is either on my roof or inside on my sleeping platform which are both above the gas tank.

ab1985

Explorer
I need two of these and don't want to pay $100+ for the new ones on ebay. Anyone want to split the cost on a set of four? If so, shoot me a PM.

geocrzy

Existing under the radar
I picked up 2 of these exact same cans on ebay for $85 bucks shipped to the house. The deals are out there. Search military gas cans.

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
NATO jerry can

If I visit the Peoples Republic of California from the Republic of Texas with my NATO gas cans what can I to expect?

Will I stopped by every cop? What are the legal penalties?

Certainly something to keep in mind if making a trip.

Thanks,
Mike

JohnnyS

Explorer
Anyone have a source for the Swiss nozzles?
The one that I bought from DO leaks like crazy....
Thanks!!

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Here is a source for the nozzle. The price has gone up a little.

http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.php?cat=unimog&partno=SAV4220

shpicfile.php

burnoil

Adventurer
The nozzles from Pinzgauer.com work very well. I also bought my used 20L fue...I mean WATER tanks and they were in very good shape for used. No issues at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles