Spring rating for rear of Expedition 90

Sirocco

Explorer
Hi guys,

Been bashing my brains out trying to find info on springs here in the UK and I think I have it sorted.

Going by OME standards does anyone run their 90 with 762s or 763s on the rear? I would like to hear your opinion.

Basically I have a set of Terrafirma (TF) springs, medium duty (300-340lb/in), that are rated the same as the 762s but my rig is heavy and Im soon to be towing a converted Sankey so I was thinking of the TF heavy duties or the OME 763s both have the same spec at 360lb/in. The question is, will I notice the extra 20lbs rating?

Im not bothered by the 2-3" lift. I just want a spring that will cope. The mediums on at present are ok, but they are on their way out and im looking to replace. Sometimes they feel a little soft.

The 90 is running an ARB winch bumper, Wolf Wheels, roll cage, ARB rack, Swingaway carrier, extra TD5 fuel tank, tree sliders, tank guards and a host of internal gubbins (Engel fridge, recovery gear, spares etc) it is loaded like this all the time and mainly used for back country trips and overland trips Its not a daily driver.

Thanks for your time.

G

czenkov

Adventurer
I have OME's Mediums in the rear and heavies in the front. Hardcore shocks up front and the mildest in the rear. I also have a spacer in the rear. Sorry I do not have the numbers in front of me. It was brutal riding with the original setup (the way I purchased). I would take the spacers out - simply don't like them but as I made changes one step at a time I found what rides well loaded (typical 5-7 day remote camping gear so 10 gallons each water and petrol) and unloaded so don't want to mess with it now. That being said I saw at the 2011 Overland Expo a 1995 Defender that was set up heavy and when I talked to the guy he said he was running 110 springs with bilstein (IIRC) shocks. RTT and fuel/water up top with the rear load space full to just above the window level.
I have a picture somewhere...Hope that helps a little. If I get time I will track down the part numbers i am running.

IMG_9342_2.JPG

Last edited:

Sirocco

Explorer
Thanks Czenkov,

my 90 is more or less like that but with addition of a roll cage! see here: www.siroccoverland.350.com

He cannot be running 110 rears as they are bigger diameter. hmmm...

with my load being constant I think the mediums might be a step back (762). hmmm...

G

DividingCreek

Explorer
I have run OME 764's as fronts on my 90,110, and now 130. This is a great spring for the front of a defender thats got a winch bumper, winch,lights, steering protector plate, etc up front. Gives approximately 2.5-3.0 inches of lift over stock. I forget the rear spring number i was running on the 90. the 110 was 755 and the 130 I'm running a 2 in spacer because of the cool stock inner/outer spring rear suspension.

Sirocco

Explorer
I will likely go with 766 up front. Its recommended for the 90 as being ExHD.

764s were designed as a medium rear, but I guess both of these will be similar in set-up, just give different lifts.

G

taoseno

Observer
I am running the Rovertym 3" HD spring w/ Fox shocks and I really like them. I have a ST and everyone said go MD which I did the first time but I felt they were too light when the rig was fully loaded. The MD's would probabgy be OK if the rig was empty but who goes wheeling empty?

kevb

Observer
As you are in the UK talk to Gwyn Lewis, he knows his stuff. I have his challenge kit fitted although my 90 is set up for long range camping trips.

My front springs are OME 764 which give a good ride quality and flex,
the rear springs are OME763. I have Gwyn Lewis shock mounts and OME N73GL +5.5 shocks all round. The advantage of this is you only need to carry one spare shock. Articulation is outstanding and on road/fast dirt road ride is good.

We use it as a daily driver, for my commute to a job I was doing in France ( from Glasgow) and shipped it to the US for a 5500 mile trip round Utah, California, Colorado & Arizona. It has a P&P roll hoop/front NAS cage, winch, engel, spares, camping gear etc so quite heavy. it sits a wee bit high when empty but lovely when loaded.

if you want less than a 2 inch lift you could fit OME751 on front and
OME762 on rear
this would give just under a 1 inch lift if your bumper is heavy
US4165.jpg

US4313.jpg

Shedfeb09119.jpg

Last pic shows Green 90 with 285/33" and suspension as above (empty) Grey 90 has standard yellow/white springs and 265/31" tyres.
Shedfeb09116.jpg

Hope this helps,

Kev

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke