FJC Long Travel Build: 3Link Rear w/ Coilovers, Camburg, and more

FJLED

Adventurer
Haven't been on this forum for awhile, but I thought I'd post up my latest project for those who don't venture to some of the other forums.

Vehicle originally had ICON coilovers in the front and their shocks/coils in the rear. Lefty and a whole bunch of other goodies to boot.

Out goes the old axle

Axle%201.jpg

Axle%202.jpg

In goes the Total Chaos 2" Long Travel setup.

DSC_0460.JPG

DSC_0459.JPG

DSC_0470.JPG

DSC_0472.JPG

Rear Axle

DSC_0461.JPG

Misc Parts all over the place

DSC_0468.JPG

FJLED

Adventurer
More of the front and rear comming together.

P1010630.JPG

P1010631.JPG

P1010633.JPG

Old link to frame mounts gone.

P1010635.JPG

P1010636.JPG

P1010637.JPG

P1010638.JPG

Trying to keep the link mounts from being too low while still targeting the #s on the calculator

P1010640.JPG

P1010639.JPG

For reference here is how low they normally hang on an OEM/normal currie 4 link + panhard setup.

4490466236_15625721b6.jpg

FJLED

Adventurer

P1010646.JPG

P1010645.JPG

P1010649.JPG

Lower link position when upper link contact crossmember.

P1010647.JPG

Upper link tack'd on frame.

P1010651.JPG

Track bar looks like it will need to be bent a bit.

P1010648.JPG

Ride height

IMG_0539.jpg

New frame mounts

P1010653.JPG

Link clearance at frame at full uptravel

P1010661.JPG

Some stuff just gets in the way

P1010663.JPG

FJLED

Adventurer
Wheel position @ full uptravel (I think...can't remember when I took the photo).

P1010664.JPG

Coils & Jounce Shocks in place

P1010656.JPG

So close to being finished, and then things changed. I didn't like the fact that I wasn't getting the travel #s advertised on the front. UCA uniball would have to go through the fender (and LCA uniball through the rotor) to get those numbers.

P1010672.JPG

P1010673.JPG

P1010671.JPG

The advertised rear numbers weren't accurate either once taking a closer look at the spring. Definitely weren't getting as much use out of a 14" shock as I had hoped. So we are starting to tinker around with some other options. Since the axle is 4" wider than normal it freed up a bit of space at full uptravel.

P1010665.JPG

Still a bit tight though at full articulation. Although I think some spacers should take care of that. But if I'm going to be 3.25" wide or more on each side in the rear, I'm going to have a bit of headache with law enforcement in Houston....already were checking how far out my wheels were with respect to the fenders the one time I got pulled over.

So fiberglass is in order. If I'm doing that in the rear I might as well toss them on in the front. And if the are on in the front I might as well shoot for a wider front setup to match the track width...plus I could go with another kit which actually is supposed to meet their advertised numbers. :D

FJLED

Adventurer
Front locker/gears going in.

P1010687.JPG

P1010688.JPG

P1010689.JPG

Thought I had also snapped a few pictures of the rear end parts order that showed up Friday, but apparently my memory card is full and or didn't grab them. Basically we'll be notching the the frame and possibly coming up through the wheel wells if needed with a tower to run a 14" coilover with reservoir.

Rear interior and storage system removed in case the fender wells need to be modified a bit.

P1010677.JPG

Here is a shot of the storage system that will hide the coilover towers once installed.

P1010622.JPG

FJLED

Adventurer
New front came in. Camburg setup is much nicer than the Total Chaos all around. Definitely no regrets going with Camburgs over TC's 3.5"kit. Right now it looks like we are getting about 13.375" of wheel travel. Have to figure out how we can eek out a bit more cause the shock still has travel left. Flipping the LCA spacer will buy a bit of travel. Uptravel could be gained by chopping the fender well and reframing. Waiting for a call back from Camburg.

For comparison purposes - upper uniball on both kits.

BrianFJ039.jpg

BrianFJ028.jpg

BrianFJ027.jpg

BrianFJ032.jpg

BrianFJ036.jpg

BrianFJ034.jpg

BrianFJ025.jpg

BrianFJ031.jpg

BrianFJ026.jpg

FJLED

Adventurer
Well tires and wheels came in.

BrianFJ052.jpg

BrianFJ054.jpg

Might switch over to MT/R's depend on how the pitbulls do at higher speed desert type stuff. Simply couldn't find any in stock.

Might run an inner air lock down the line on the wheels as well. Really wanted the forged beadlocks, but between $650 price tag an the fact that I still had to pay for machining then to a 6x5.5 bolt pattern (come as blanks), I couldn't justify it. Weight was sure tempting...27lbs for a beadlock.

I'd be at 33-34lbs with the aluminum wheels an an inner air locks.​

FJLED

Adventurer
Able to roll around now...won't be the final ride height since some adjustements will need to be made with the bumper on and weight in the back.

BrianFJ058.jpg

BrianFJ057.jpg

BrianFJ055.jpg

BrianFJ059.jpg

BrianFJ061.jpg

BrianFJ064.jpg

BrianFJ065.jpg

FJLED

Adventurer
Swung up to the shop today. Got there and Dave had the rear axle at full droop, made me drool a bit.

Not at full droop in the photo below, but gives you an idea.

BrianFJ074.jpg

On the front end CVs bind at full droop. I'm guessing some custom RCVs will solve that problem. Apparently they are just about to start offering FJ CVs again. I'm hopeful they'll do a custom CV for me with pro 4 outers. For now we might do a differential drop, to prevent the binding at full droop, all depends on how accessible the RCV CVs are. Issue with uptravel is once the wheels are turned past 15-20 degrees or so you start touching off on the rear fenderwell.

Not sure what the best solution is to deal with this...body lift might buy a bit, but doesn't seem like it is the final solution. The top of the fender well can be modified to accomodate full uptravel, but the rear is the root cause of the issue when trying to lock the wheels at significant uptravel.

Seam below and rearwheel well/firewall is where we see the issue.

BrianFJ073.jpg

BrianFJ070.jpg

BrianFJ069.jpg

BrianFJ068.jpg

Not sure if we will chop everything out completely and only frame in what is needed, just grind it down a bit and live with it/just modify the top, really cut things away and start doing a engine cage to support everything.

FJLED

Adventurer
Photos of binding. Dif drop doesn't solve anything cause the tripod starts to pull out of the inner cup at full bump as is. Dif drop would only exacerbate that issue.

IMAG0337.jpg

IMAG0340.jpg

Tower's boxed in - will be covered over by the storage box, but Dave did a sick job on making it look like a factory stamped sheetmetal.

BrianFJ076.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94