Does someone make a kit to put a GM LS engine in a JK?

Bennyhana

Adventurer
What transmission would you use? That opens up a whole nother can. Somehow I don't think it's as easy as getting rid of the Jeep's check engine light by removing it along with the guages. The Jeeps computer has it's fingers into just about every bit of electronics on the jeep. If it were really that easy there would be several companies out there doing this swap.

JPK

Explorer
What transmission would you use? That opens up a whole nother can. Somehow I don't think it's as easy as getting rid of the Jeep's check engine light by removing it along with the guages. The Jeeps computer has it's fingers into just about every bit of electronics on the jeep. If it were really that easy there would be several companies out there doing this swap.

You are correct. It isn't that easy. If it was there would be at least a handful of LS JK's running, but after a decent search I can't find even one.

Some issues I can think of off hand:
Throttle position indicator isn't going to work if the engine is off the Jeep ECU grid.
If that isn't working then the esp system will be applying brakes and trying to drop revs
Since that won't work the esp system will have the brakes smoking
Likewise speedo
Probably likewise tranny

The gauges might not be there but the ecu would still be there and it would be going berserk.

There just isn't that much to dislike about the Hemi options if a swap is the goal. (Speaking as an extremely pleased 5.7VVT powered JKU owner.)

JPK

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

Why not build the stock motor, then supercharge it? Same cost with not the headaches.

JPK

Explorer
Some guys have reported great success with the 3.8 superchaged in oem form. And they need to be in oem form since apparently, according to those guys, there are no aftermarket parts to build the internals of the 3.8 and its siblings, not even performance cam shafts. Its a minivan engine, and I guess not a lot of minivans got souped up.

There are no headaches to a properly installed Hemi relying on a good kit, like AEV's.

D

Deleted member 9101

Some guys have reported great success with the 3.8 superchaged in oem form. And they need to be in oem form since apparently, according to those guys, there are no aftermarket parts to build the internals of the 3.8 and its siblings, not even performance cam shafts. Its a minivan engine, and I guess not a lot of minivans got souped up.

There are no headaches to a properly installed Hemi relying on a good kit, like AEV's.

HaHa.. a Jeep with a motor that can't be upgraded.... thats freaking horrible :-(

Jorsn

Adventurer

Hesco offers a stroker for the JK...

http://www.hesco.us/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1345&PN=1&TPN=1

http://www.hesco.us/shop.asp?action=details&inventoryID=205939&catId=23139

xtremexj

Adventurer
Novak Adapters is working on one right now and they have another completed. I've been in contact with them and keeping on eye on their progress for my wife's JK. Here is the link to one of the employees personal builds. They are still working on perfecting the computer interface but it should be soon.

http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?t=77265

JPK

Explorer
jomboco,

The link looks promising. I shot them an inquiry on pricing for a 5.3 or 6.2 plus 6L80 swap. I'll provide update when I hear back.

JPK

jomobco

Now Decanter
Be aware they state in the thread it's not compatible with the Rubicon Xfer case. They're using the 6l80 tranny and the input is too big apparently for that particular transfer case. They also use two ECM's to control portions of the canbus - one chevy and one chrysler. I'd really want to take a close look at this prior to dropping some cash. Run it through both chrysler and chevy scanners and make sure they're not suppressing any codes. It's not that I don't believe them but it's just that I've never heard of it being done this way. It could just be my ignorance.

JPK

Explorer
I didn't read the thread, went straight to the company. I didn't see anything about the RockTrac being incompatable. If the 2.71:1 box is compatible then I would have to think the 4:10 box is also compatable since the two are swapable between Jeeps w/o modifications of any kind. Same input and output, length, etc.

Not that I'm close to pulling the trigger, I love my AEV Hemi JKU, but always looking...

JPK

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I keep saying this and nobody refutes or questions me !!

The wife has given me the go ahead to start shopping for a JK, since my XJ is getting tired. I don't like the price of the new ones, and I've tested the 3.7 in the new Grands. It didn't do much for me.

Thinking used 07', and 5.3 LS swap. I have the cash saved for a '07-08 JK, but would have to take a partial loan to cover an '12 with the new engine. Then, I'd be tied to a warranty limiting mods. I've done swaps before, so I know what is involved, just wanted to know if there are kits to position engine, mate trans or t-case, etc. I've googled, but LS swaps only seem to come up for TJs. I don't really care for the Hemi engine.

Thanks for the help.

Why do you want to swap out an already good engine/tranny setup all you gotta do is MOD-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

JPK

Explorer
Believe me when I tell you that the difference between a Hemi powered JKU and a 3.8 powered JKU, no matter the gears, is more than you can appreciate, on or off road, unless you've driven one. An LS powered JKU would be the same without the Chrysler/Jeep weaknesses, like programming.

The '12's with the five speed auto and the 3.6 with its additional HP and additional torque over a flat curve will make the JKU a hell of a lot better, imo, but in no way comparable to a Hemi or LS powered JKU. Wait and try one, it ought to be a hell of an improvement over the '11's and previous models.

JPK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles