Quick Post-hoc Build Thread for Nicely Usable Samurai

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I like the Samurai. Any more info on it? Does it have it's own thread?
So the way I figure it, if Scott suggest a thread, it's worth a thread.

Seriously, this is one of the nicer Samurais around . . . he said humbly ;) .

No offense to the wheelers who put 37s and an exocage onto a Sami, but those mods really limit the flexibility of what can be a pretty useful multipurpose vehicle. The Samurai makes a fine platform for a serious wheeler if you need one, but twenty years after production stopped, it actually seems easier to find a full-on crawler than a relatively unmolested version that's good for combined street and trail use.

Here's the specimen in question: it's a 1992 Samurai JL soft top with about 106K miles. I was fortunate to get this after it had spent much of its life being towed behind a motorhome, so it wasn't as worn out as it would have been if the miles had all been powered.

P1000981-1.jpg

Another advantage is that the 1990s-on had a taller fifth gear that made them more practical for highway travel, and 1992s got a throttle-bodied fuel injected engine that improved driveablility and increased power (by a whole 6 hp).

Here's a picture of the mighty 1.3 liter Samurai I-4, rated at a whopping 66 horsepower. Nice engine, though; it revs nicely and is reasonably smooth. Both are good traits since the engine has to be wrapped pretty tight for a freeway cruise:

P1000998.jpg

My goal was to do make modifications that preserved the basic usefulness of the trucklette as an errand runner, the toad for my Sprinter, and a useful light duty off-roader. This turned out to be pretty simple to do and, while not cheap, the prices for Samurai stuff is a lot lower than for full-sized trucks.

The front of the truck has a useful brush guard that's an excellent mounting point for all manner of stuff. I've got Hella 500 driving lights, a pair of projector fog lights and a Hi-Lift jack.

P1000982.jpg

The best thing is that we created mounting points on the brush guard mount to quickly mount the Samurai's implausibly small and simple tow bar.

samitowbumper.jpg

Putting it on and taking it off requires nothing more than pulling two hairpin clips and two hitch pins. It's amazingly simple, and the very light weight of the Samurai makes it a joy to tow. Works just fine on my Sprinter, and that's with no brakes for the Sami. (In fact, the biggest issue is--and I am not kidding--forgetting that you're towing it.)

EOR01.jpg

Along the sides are bolt-on rock sliders, and on the rear, there's a Calmini bumper attachment that works in combination with the stock bumper, providing a tow ball mount and some extra protection. The truck is running 29" (215/75x15) Bridgestone Dueler mud-terrains. They've been a good choice, handing securely enough on the highway and not too noisy. FWIW, I am totally convinced that 29s are the perfect size for the Samurai and that going much bigger gives up too much practicality. I'm sure others might disagree, but I think 29s or thereabouts are the key to keeping the vehicle workable for daily use.

P1000984-1.jpg

Speaking of which . . . the stock Samurai fuel tank is 10 gallons and it has a pessimistic fuel gauge, so that when you went to the gas station with the needle on empty, you were lucky to get seven gallons in. Changing to the Petroworks 15 gallon fuel tank produced a big gain in practicality, leading to about half as many fillups. The tank also has the advantage of being translucent, so you can tell exactly how much gas you have just by looking at it, thus mitigating the inaccuracy in the stock fuel gauge. Petroworks also gives you a mounting system that pretty much serves as a skidplate for the rear.

P1000996.jpg

There's also a frame mounted front skidplate. It's very heavy and heavy-duty, looking more like it belongs on a Hummer. Undoubtedly unnecessary until, I suppose, you hit the one rock that proves you were a genius to bolt it on.

P1000992.jpg

I said this before in other threads, and I'll say it again here . . . the key to having a Samurai that's tolerable for daily use is to swap out the stock suspension. There's about a dozen choices for how to do this, but I believe the best investment for a truck that sees more pavement than trail, but still needs to be good on dirt and gravel, is to go for a 2-3 inch lift using the same geometry as stock. There's lots of ways to change things around a little (with longer springs) or a lot (even switching to coils if you want to throw a lot of money at it), but putting on the Old Man Emu springs with the matched Nitrocharger shocks was very cost-effective for me.

The change in shocks and springs was like night and day. Before the change, the Sami crashed into every hole then crashed back out. Seemed like a kidney belt might be in order. With the suspension change, it's a completely tolerable ride on pavement and I am very pleased with the compliance over ruts and, especially, on washboard.

P1000993.jpg

BTW, if the exhaust and muffler look weird, they should. They're not stock . . . the old one wore out and it was simpler just to make up a new system than source the stock pieces.

The interior has a few useful add-ons, the best of which was the gimbaled RAM "beverage holder" to the right of the shift lever; there are no stock cupholders in a Samurai. There's a windshield-mounted GPS, an XM Snap satellite receiver (cool for being portable), a Tiny Tach tachometer, and an amazing Walmart DVD/SD/USB/CD/AUX/Bluetooth head end with a built in screen to watch movies on in vidid three-inch splendor . . . amazing because it seems to be working great and it didn't cost but about $100. I'm sure it will go tango uniform any day now, but at the moment, it seems brilliant.

P1000985.jpg

Incidentally, if Samurais ever become collector cars (hah), mine will be more valuable for having the rarer brown interior. The majority of Sami's are black/grey. My seats were recovered by the previous owner in a snappy two-tone vinyl, and they are reasonably comfortable. Not so the rear seat, which is small even for children (if they have any legs) and thus was put into storage within the first 24 hours of owning the truck.

The top on it is a new Bestop replacement. My truck originally came with a pretty wacky looking hardtop

P3211258.jpg

so I first changed it for the Bestop combination bimini top and tonneau cover.

P1000814.jpg

That's a great setup and I liked it lot, until the rains came and the bed cover turned into a very effective way to collect gallons of rainwater. I'd been shrewd enough to previously snag a reasonably-priced salvage topbow setup, so I got the full coverage top. I'll probably put the bimini/tonneau setup back on in a couple of weeks.

So, there's a report on my Samurai. While in common with most every other build on the Portal, I put too much money into it, I'm very happy with the result. Be sure to let me know if this simple buildup leads to any questions.

Last edited:

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
A fellow Oregonian Suzuki owner!

Wow, that is a super-clean Sammi! I totally dig it! I've got a Sidekick, and have also thought about up-sizing the fuel tank, as I'm lucky to get 200 miles on a fill. Cool rig!

- Andy

stevec

Adventurer
Nice writeup!

I've had my Samurai since it was new in 1986 (it was the first car I ever bought!) Even "picked up" my (now) wife with it while in college in the late '80's. About 12 years ago mine was retired from daily driver use, and now is fairly well modified (though still very streetable). The carb'ed engines made 64hp, so only 2 hp less than the FI, not 6 (yes, I know, I'm nitpicking!)

For mostly street use, I think you're right on with the suspension and tires; for moderate trail use, yet keeping it very street-friendly, a spring-over lift is cheap and easy if you can weld, some 30" or 31" tires will give it plenty of clearance, and a set of 4:1 transfer case gears will give it more pulling power on and off road. I had mine set up for years with 30" tires and stock gears, and pretty much lost the use of 5th gear except going downhill. The 4:1 gears made it at least as good as stock, and (to answer nota944's question) I was still able to average 27mpg driving back and forth to work.

Riptide

Explorer
Mike, whose skid plate and sliders are you running? Are the sliders strong enough to jack from the side if you had to?

I crack up every time you call it a "trucklette". Mine gets lost in the parking lot at work, sandwiched between all the full-size pick-ups, people yelling "meep-meep", and whatnot. But it's the most fun vehicle I've had in quite awhile.

You gotta appreciate the guts of these little mountain goats...

As soon as I get all my stuff mounted this summer, which mimics your thoughts on tires and suspension, I'll post up...

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
What kind of MPGs does the little Sammy get?
Mostly in the 20-25 mpg range. More than any other vehicle I have, the Samurai seems to care about the wind, the altitude, the speed, the traffic, etc. On a recent trip to Eastern Oregon, we had a long steep highway grade to climb into the teeth of about a 35 mph wind. It took third gear to hold any speed and I probably wasn't getting ten mpg. Had I been going the other way, though, my mpgs would have approached infinite. ;)

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Mike, whose skid plate and sliders are you running? Are the sliders strong enough to jack from the side if you had to?
The sliders came from Rocky Road, the skid plate is from Petroworks. The sliders are plenty strong to jack on, and a big improvement over trying to use the factory jack points.

Take care,

Mike

engineerbill

This exact same Samurai, 2016

October 2016
So, a couple of years ago I bought this exact same Samurai and registered it in California. It is exactly as described in this post. I've been towing it behind my old Motorhome ever since. At least once a week I am approach by fans who want to talk about this awesome, lightly modified Samurai. Anyway, yesterday, while parked on the street, someone backed into the front of the Samurai pretty hard, severely damaging the front bumper, and then left the scene. After I called the insurance, I started a google search for Samurai bumpers. Thanks to the magic of Google, after a couple of hours I stumbled onto this page. Voila! That's my car! So, the Insurance Company says the Sammi may be totaled. Maybe $1500. I'm embarrassed to admit how much I spent for it, but it was such a really nice example and they don't come around that often any more. ~2000 lb and it towed like a dream behind my Winnebago. I was wondering what other members might think it was actually worth?

Last edited:

stevec

Adventurer
Clean, rust free, unabused Samurai's are worth at least $3K, but you'll rarely get that much out of the insurance company. If it is just the bumper, and you really like it, see what you can buy it back for, and then get an ARB or similar front bumper for it to replace the stock bumper.

One issue with going this route is that it will have a "salvage" title, and therefore will be harder to insure in the future. Depending on your insurer, you might look into just replacing the bumper yourself (to keep the title clean), and then insuring it as a collector vehicle. I have a LWB Samurai that is registered as a collector vehicle in Washington, and I have it insured through State Farm as a collector vehicle as well. Their insured value, without any input from me, is $8,500, and the premium is only about $120/year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior