J8 Suspension Question

lax71vcu

Adventurer
Has anybody tried or does anybody think that the J8 suspension (coils and shocks) would provide a boost the 4 door Jk's? Are the Coils and shocks easy to get?

Just wondering if the J8 springs would provide a Mopar made boost for the JKU like the JKU springs provide for the 2 door JK's.

Any input?

Thanks.

Patman

Explorer
Don't think the front is much higher than a standard Rubi, and the rear is Leaf spring so not a straight bolt in.

haven

Expedition Leader
X2. The J8 suspension adds about 1100 lbs of extra cargo capacity over the JKU. The rear suspension is leafs rather than coils, and the frame is beefed up to handle the extra load. So it's not a simple swap.

lax71vcu

Adventurer
Well Dang

I was really hoping for a simple swap. Why cant the JKU guys ever get it easy?

Oh well. Thanks for the feedback guys.

lax71vcu

Adventurer
bit more info....

are you saying keep my coils generally? As in don't convert to leaf springs? I would totally agree with this. I have NO plans to convert to leafs.

Or are you saying keep the Rubi coils and upgrade to OME shocks?

Sorry but it is difficult to understand your exact intensions.

If you are encouraging OME coils what coils would you suggest? I have no need or desire for more than 2" of lift and from what have heard the OME coils net over 3". So not in the cards.

However, if somebody can suggest a coil and shock combo from OME that would be designed as a stock replacement and netted say a 1" to 2" lift I would be grateful.

Thanks

Jeepin_D

Damon Bungard
On my 2008 Unlimited Rubi I just swapped the factory springs with OME Medium Duty (616 and 617 if I recall). Everything else is still stock, and it works great as an overlanding platform.

After I installed Mopar steel bumpers, tire carrier, and a winch, the extra weight (300 lbs or so) made the factory springs sag too much for my liking.

With those springs I ended up with about 2" of lift overall, and minimal rake. (So you do need to tweak your headlights a bit to compensate, easy turn of a screw).

Since the springs are still so weight dependent, I do get a little sag in the rear when I really load the JK up with multiple kayaks and bikes, camping gear and more, so I may just add some Air Lift bags into the rear coils for those 10% of the time situations where a little more weight capacity is needed.

Scott Brady

Founder
I have a J8, and would avoid using those springs. The main reason for this is that you want to avoid using 'rate' to gain height. It will just result in a terrible ride. Just get a longer spring of the right rate and you will be much happier. A set of OME springs are pretty cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne