Starting an M101 build

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Haha I actually was just checking your trailer out the red looks awesome! What did you use to spray it on? It's off a ford f250 long bed although theres no brand on it anymore. The length is exact even lets you drop and raise the gate with no problem but it has about an inch of overhang on either side width wise. Luckily the inside edges meet the inside of the trailer perfectly and theres no overhang there.

JPK

Explorer
Haha I actually was just checking your trailer out the red looks awesome! What did you use to spray it on? It's off a ford f250 long bed although theres no brand on it anymore. The length is exact even lets you drop and raise the gate with no problem but it has about an inch of overhang on either side width wise. Luckily the inside edges meet the inside of the trailer perfectly and theres no overhang there.

Nice score for $100!

You have some overhang, and some of the tops I looked at did too, but I figured an easy fix was 1x3's or 2x4's ripped and shaped to fit the cap foot print to support the top. Pickled to make them weather proof then painted. (Pickled = brush or roller "painted" with a couple coats of thin expoxy, so it will soak into the wood. West Systems Expoxy would be perfect.)

The Crosstread Renegade universal ladder racks will fit and the cap adapter plates can be bolted on the trailer rails under the cap. The seal strip will form to accomodate the plates. Or you could route/chisel out the 1x3's or 2x4's if you go that route.

JPK

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Hey thanks! Ya sadly my trailer building funding is depleting rapidly with school coming up so I won't be doing too much until school gets in and my job starts. The one thing I HAVE to do or it will drive me crazy looking at it is put in windows on the rear and front. I was thinking Plexiglass would be cheap rock resistant (to a point) and easy to cut. I would then seal it with some kind of epoxy after putting some screws/bolts through. Is there any better way to do this? I've never built anything like this before so all your help is appreciated!

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Here is the over hang on the outside of the trailer.
a23aca54.jpg

But heres the inside. It looks like I didnt place the shell on the edge in this picture but it is actually perfectly aligned
00cda4f5.jpg

JPK

Explorer
Since the weight of the cap comes down the sides and the sides are at the outside of the overhang I would definitely use a wood or aluminum or steel piece between the trailer bed rail and the cap. Otherwise I would fear that over (a relatively short) time the cap's base will begin to collapse and fold at the outside edge of the trailer bed. Wood would be cheap and easy, aluminum light and easy and thin. Maybe 1/4"x 3" strap cut to fit the sides and the front? If you go wood, you can skip the pickling and just paint. Either make your rear window long enough to span the gap or add a similar piece of wood to the top of the tailgate...

For a fixed window, I would use a marine caulk between the fiberglass of the cap and the plexiglass, clamp in place and then drill your bolt holes. Remove, apply caulk, put the plexiglass in place, clamp and bolt together. That way the caulk/sealant/glue will provide a seal. 3M's 5200 is a ploysulfide caulk/glue that seals well and remains flexible so it won't crack with vibrations. It's available in white or black. The downside to 5200 is that its gripping power is huge and if you go to replace the plexiglass you will have problems. If you foresee that, try 4200, I think very similar but without the tremendous grip.

I would hinge the rear window. You should be able to pick up some piano hinge from Home Depot. If you use wood to support the top on the trailer you could easily instal a latch on the wood on the tailgate to keep the hinged rear window closed. Since the rear window opening has a raised rim around it you could get decent sealing using self adhesive weatherstripping around the raised lip and relying on the latch to keep the plexiglass closed and to compress the weather stripping. You will need a thin wood spacer under the hinge to provide room for the weatherseal at the top of the raised lip. The stripping is cheap and available at HD or any decent lumber yard or hardware store.

Hope this spurs ideas.

JPK

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Those are some great ideas! I think I will go with aluminum over the wood if possible I just need to find the tools to cut it and drill it. (sadly all my tools are back in Texas)

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Alright sorry I havent posted in ages. The girlfriend came in town and all progress on the trailer basically stopped. I did however weather seal it and make a bed frame and supports for inside. Keep in mind that this set up is temporary till we can finish designing a top. While my girlfriend was in town we did take the trailer camping and I noticed two things that bothered me. First was that when driving at highway speeds it can sometimes shake my truck but not constantly. It will shake around three seconds then stop for three seconds then shake again. The other thing worrying me are the surge brakes. I have NO experience with these and didnt realize the A2 had them until looking online. Does anyone know how they work and if they could cause a jerking of the truck while braking?

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
They will cause some jerking, when emtpy for sure. Surge brakes are good brakes, no electrical stuff. You will have to put in a [ I believe ] 3/8ths rod in the hole, on the side of the surge brake, to stop it when you back up. Otherwise the brakes will lock up when you back up.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Well that's another concern why I think they are broken. I have backed up without so much as a slight resistance even backing up uphill! The box looks pretty rusty on the hitch as well. I'll post pictures tomorrow as soon as I can.
Thanks for your help I really need it haha

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
So I couldnt sleep thinking about the trailer and went outside to see if I could budge the brakes at all. I pushed on the hitch hard enough to shake the whole trailer but it didnt even wiggle. I took a picture of the hitch and as you can see it is pretty rusty unlike the rest of the trailer. Is it possible I may need a new surge brake?
1492802e.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Surge solutions

Check out this site:

Steelsoldiers.com
Look in the forum section TRAILERS
These are all military collectors and they know thier stuff when it comes to the surge brake systems.

It could be the shock piston inside the tunnel Those I hear are hard to find.

Mine was not working when I bought my trailer so I took it off. But my tow rig is a little bigger than yours
a GMC 2500HD crew cab. I don't notice the trailer behind me. It tows along fine.
Mine weighs 1080 pounds empty foactor weight was 1350 pounds.

My before and after hitch.

Attachments

• DSC05286.JPG
    DSC05286.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC04800.JPG
    DSC04800.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 48

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
I browsed some articles on that site yesterday actually but I think I will subscribe and ask them what they think thanks! If it turns out its expensive or hard to fix I may just have to take it off. Ya I wish I had a larger truck while pulling this sometimes. The little 5 cylinder doesnt like it very much sometimes though its well within the rated tow capacity. Oh well two years until engine/tranny swap

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Well I'm almost done tearing through the brakes. I'll post up the pictures and conclusion a little later tonight

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Alright so I started by removing all the bolts and vertical cross bars from the hitch. After the hitch still barely moved. Next I loosened the master cylinder and allowed some fluid to flow out and see if it was rusty colored or dirty. It was yellow but pretty clear which makes me think it could be a different fluid was used. Anyway I got some movement out of the hitch now as you can see here. http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/...view&current=71984e57.mp4&mediafilter=noflash

brussum

Adventurer
I've been doing some research because, like you, I'm not sure if my brake actuator is even functioning properly. There's so much resistance in the system that I can't get much pintle movement by hand. The brake system is called a Toledo Actuator and there are plenty of commercially available parts for relatively cheap. Do a google search or look around the etrailers.com site. They sell the shock absorber, master cylinder, shoes, etc. I was pondering changing out the hydraulic brakes for electronic brakes, but I'd like to see if I can get the stock unit working first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior