Starting an M101 build

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Well after looking for a while and considering what I wanted out of a trailer I pulled the trigger on this local M101. I was worried about the size for a while but it ended up fitting my truck perfectly. Seems to be in pretty good shape with little rust anywhere but tires have been sitting a while and need replacing.

Plans for the trailer
1. New tires
2. Convert wiring away from military
3. attach mounts for fuel cans/hi-lift/spare tire
4. remove canvas cover and build solid top (possibly move roof rack from truck to trailer)
5. Add roof tent
6. paint matching truck color and add matching rims and tires.
Anyway since I havent seen too many of these built up like the M416's I'm open to any ideas or suggestions for the cover or anything else.

Picking up the trailer
1de3e132.jpg

7392105c.jpg

Just some pics posing hopefully action shots soon

8da709d4.jpg

15c522da.jpg

3ef458e1.jpg

72da1e8c.jpg

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
So two quick updates. First the tires needed replacement badly so I stopped by discount tire and picked up some hankook m/ts. Probably a little excessive for a trailer but they sure look good and will grip well.
6ce1b74d.jpg

Next I stripped off all the extra side panels and arches and wired up some temporary lights until I convert the military ones.
4116a8a6.jpg

I talked to a few buddies who have access to a welder and materials. Should be drawing up plans for a hard cover to mount the RTT on later this week.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Possibly one thing to consider is an axle swap (to electric brakes) that may also help when you go to match wheels to the TV, unless they are a direct bolt up already.

These are built like brick you-know-what houses...and are a blast to work on.

Solid top sounds nice, good luck with the project.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Possibly one thing to consider is an axle swap (to electric brakes) that may also help when you go to match wheels to the TV, unless they are a direct bolt up already.

These are built like brick you-know-what houses...and are a blast to work on.

Solid top sounds nice, good luck with the project.

Thanks I will definitely keep that axle swap in mind when I get a little farther on the project.

Metternacht

Looking good, What are your plans for the Canvas cover? If you are going to get rid of it I may be interested. PM me if you want to get rid of it.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
For now I'm going to keep the cover at least until the hard cover is all worked out. Had some work I had to get done today. Will be updating on the hardcover plans tomorrow

JPK

Explorer
Congrats on your trailer. I have an M101A1 and an M101A2/3 - the Army put the A3 drop axle on the trailer so it isn't an A2 with the straight axle or an A3 with the wider fenders...

FYI, There are aliminum truck caps that fit the M101's well and there are also ladder racks that will bolt to the rail under the cap for a quick and easy conversion. A second hand cap would make it cheap too.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
FYI, There are aliminum truck caps that fit the M101's well and there are also ladder racks that will bolt to the rail under the cap for a quick and easy conversion. A second hand cap would make it cheap too.
Do you know what companies make these and what they run? I'm only paying for material making a custom one but it might be worth the money.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
If i make own heres what we've come to. After talking to my friend we decided it may be easier to hinge from one side with gas struts to assist in lifting the cover. The original idea of having a hinge laterally in the middle of the trailer just wasn't practical after considering it. Were not sure what material we would use to build the cover as it depends on price but I need something pretty strong. What are these usually made of for m416's? Also we decided were going to need a support of some kind in the middle to prevent too much wear on the center of the cap from the roof tent loaded with people. We were thinking maybe some kind kind of I shape on the front and back inside the trailer. This would ruin space for large items however so any suggestions for supports or a strong enough material to handle the weight would be great.

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
It looks like a great project. The trailer does match your truck well.
I like the idea of the roof top tents both on trucks and mounted on the trailers but the older I get the ladders and steps aren't that appealing. You should be able to attach some structure under the trailer top cap to reinforce it. Possibly some aluminum angles?
How has your defender roof rack worked out over time? Is there any trick to get it far enough forward for mounting the light rack assembly?

Regards,

Jim

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
It looks like a great project. The trailer does match your truck well.
I like the idea of the roof top tents both on trucks and mounted on the trailers but the older I get the ladders and steps aren't that appealing. You should be able to attach some structure under the trailer top cap to reinforce it. Possibly some aluminum angles?
How has your defender roof rack worked out over time? Is there any trick to get it far enough forward for mounting the light rack assembly?

Regards,

Jim

I was thinking along the same lines with the angles but I feel it would waste a lot of space inside the trailer. I would definitely have to mount the spare outside the trailer. Also I love the rack Been really happy with it. It's extremely strong and has a lot of areas to attach tie downs to. I don't have a light rack mounted on it but with the tabs that are therei imagine it would be easy to add and it has enough clearance between the reack and the truck to put the rack farther back still

JPK

Explorer
Croostread Renegade ladder racks will fit, not sure which model. Additional cross bars are available to accomodate a RTT.

Century caps will fit, again can't recall the model. Here's a link to a vedor of the Century caps: http://www.trucknamerica.com/truck_caps.htm

Even if you build your own lid, you might want to consider an over the lid rack for the RTT, it would simplify the lid design and build, make it easier to open with the RTT deployed, probaby cost less and weigh less too.

There are some plans available for free for the 416 lids, and looking at the plans, which are excellent, would allow you to expand them or adapt them to the M101A series trailers. The 416 lids are made of aluminum, btw.

Also, there are occasionally military M101A caps or lids for sale. The caps appear to be fiberglass, the lids aluminum.

JPK

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Finally made it back into town and when I saw this top for 100 bucks I couldnt resist. Needs work but looks great IMO and after Im done I will be able to camp inside. (Which means girlfriend more comfortable = more camping for me! :wings:) Anyway I have four bolts attaching it right now but I will be sealing it adding rear and front windows and more bolts to help keep it down without movement off road.
3a3f9ff1.jpg

b8186ccb.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Looks good!

The trailer looks good behind your Hummer, I just painted my tub red to match my truck.
What model truck is the cap from?

Mark Harley

Attachments

• DSC05042.JPG
    DSC05042.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 23

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz