M416 technical questions

mayhem

Observer
Bought a trailer here in Denver.... The previous owner did a nice job building it for his disco. I own a lifted Tacoma and just recently flipped the axle to get the height to work with my ride-height. The trailer came with a nice auto home tent on top. I've looked through some of the build threads but came up empty.

Here are my issues.
Because of the axle flip the parking brake is no longer usable. Big deal?

I need stabilizers for the rear of the trailer for sleeping in the tent, once I put new tires on it the back of trailer will sit close to 28" high. What is everyone else doing? I would prefer to weld something to the bottom that flips down.

This brings me to the front of the trailer. Anybody have suggestions for the tounge perch? It needs to be about 4 inches longer. I can fabricate something to work but curious to see what others have done.

I'd like to go to a 6 on 5.5 setup on the axle so I can run the same rims and tires all around. I can't seem to find an adapter or a new hub assembly. I know the adapters from 5 to 6 aren't really sold and I don't want to invest in a new axle if I can help it.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
I did a spring over to match my jeep height. Rebuilt the axle and was able to get the brakes to work. When you do a springover also spin the axle 180 and the brakes will work.

Try etrailer.com lots of options for the stabilizer.

For tongue I had a piece of plate steel just the right length and 2 holes at each end. Bolted to casting and leg and now trailer is level.

If you have an axle with large center cap the issue is getting the adapter to fit (center hole of adapter is too small). Try Adaptitusa. You give them the specs and they will make the hubs. About $130. Since I have a CJ I did not need them.

mayhem

Observer
Thanks guys,
I spun the axle 180 but to rebuild the axle i needed a 2.125 socket for the nuts to get the hubs off so that the brake wasn't on the bottom of the hub. Is that what you did?

I guess I was wondering if there was a jack mod for the front that has been done...

Any thoughts on stabilizing the rear of the trailer? Etrailer only has about 18" stabilizers

DonBeasley

Adventurer
I took off the back plate (5 bolts if I remember right). Put it back on after blasting and just spun it around. Brakes now hinged on bottom.

I had a bumper built for back with 2" receiver. Having stabilizer built that goes in receiver and is adjustable. It is not hooked to frame and must get it out of trailer to use.

Could not find a mod for front. Looked at having leg remade that was longer but no one wanted to do it at a resonable cost. Plate extension works great and with painting it to rest of frame it is not noticeable and still swings up and out of way.

NewBrakeAssembly.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94