Extending the tongue on a CDN M101.

brentbba

Explorer
:coffee:.........I can't wait that long, don't you have a lunch break or something??:smiley_drive:

Sorry for the delay. Here is a pic I snapped right after I finished rattle canning it. Tongue extends out about 40" from the front of the trailer.

Attachments

• Coyote Canyon 5.10 003a.jpg
    Coyote Canyon 5.10 003a.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 94

the dude

Adventurer
I ditched the whole frame and bolted on a new frame with a piece of tubing running all the way to the back of the trailer for a bike rack.

IMG00093.jpg

IMG00094.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

Jay S.

Observer
I ditched the whole frame and bolted on a new frame with a piece of tubing running all the way to the back of the trailer for a bike rack.

I really like this set up!!!!:wings: Do you have any more pictures of the underside? Did you attach the center piece to the crossmembers under the tub all the way back?

I think this design is in the top of the considerations. I especially like the extension going all the way to the rear and doubling as a rear 2" receiver for a bike rack.:luxhello::luxhello::luxhello:

the dude

Adventurer
The whole A-frame is bolted on using the original hangers that I cut and welded to fit over the new tube. The receiver tube on the back of the trailer is also bolted on.

These are what's on my computer. It's hard to tell but you can see the hangers welded to the tubes:

IMG_0820.jpg

And the rear, a bolt going through each of the gussets to hold it into place:

IMG_0822.jpg

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I was hoping to just extend the pintle about a foot by either cutting the current pintle in half then welding a larger piece of DOM tubing to each end increasing the length. Holes could be drilled into the slide over piece to allow more welding contact points and also allow a visual check point for how the welds are holding up am allow for more strength than just a collar weld.

Or something completely different, hole a lock and or similar would be nice I'm not sure I need that. I don mind the tha-kunk the M416 makes now when backing up or stopping quickly, it tows like a dream now. If I load it incorrectly it is almost immediately known through the protest of the pintle.

A

Rubicon_Fan

Adventurer
I was hoping to just extend the pintle about a foot by either cutting the current pintle in half then welding a larger piece of DOM tubing to each end increasing the length. Holes could be drilled into the slide over piece to allow more welding contact points and also allow a visual check point for how the welds are holding up am allow for more strength than just a collar weld.
I was thinking of doing exactly the same thing.. and save the stock Pintle set up. (love it)
Any thoughts on this? Seems to be pretty straight forward.. Opinions?

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
From what I've seen on here and other places extending the tongue length has no ill effects or at least none that are reported (until a certain point I imagine). A catastrophic failure is the only thing I would be fearful of. Though the amount of weight on the tongue, and at a start and stop would be less than 2000 lbs. I've done trailers and I've done metal, what I had in mind should be plenty strong given the amount of metal and weld going into it.

A

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Good thread...

I was also thinking about extending the stock lunette or having one fabbed up. I towed this around with the lunette/pintle setup, and was impressed with how quite it was actually? I think I am going to stick with it for now... but the short trailer is a wee bit of a challenge when backing up.

I am very impressed with the mods I have seen on many of these trailers, the bike rack rear receiver is on my task list as a needed mod ASAP. I have been researching some designs, and making some plans.

If you were to use DOM to extend the lunette by say 12-18", and used a good amount of overlap as mentioned above, could you not drill through it and use say a grade 8 bolts as added security? I know the welds should hold for an eternity, but the mechanical/shear strength of a grade 8 bolt would certainly add a little extra comfort no? Probably not needed...was curious?

Just thinking out loud. Thanks for sharing your designs and ideas!!

I extended my tongue as well Came out really well.

Attachments

• 2009-07-17 11.43.51.jpg
    2009-07-17 11.43.51.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 2009-07-17 11.43.25.jpg
    2009-07-17 11.43.25.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 57
Honestly I don't remember I will measure next time I go to my storage. It was pretty easy, I called Adventure Trailers and they have the front piece already fabricated so you just go off of the angle of the piece they have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94