Extending the tongue on a CDN M101.

Jay S.

Observer
I love my trailer but at the same time would like to extend the tongue some to improve how it reacts to backing up. I was thinking about removing the stock tongue and building something that would incorporate a Lock-n-roll hitch. I have seen a few done on various forums but didn't pay much attention. I've already ditched the parking brake feature and all of the cables so no worry there.
Also, what seems to be the best length from the connection point to the axle?? (hitch ball to axle) Is there a sweet spot that makes it track good on and off-road and also controllable in reverse?

-Jay-
1998 XJ and M101 Canadian

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I love my trailer but at the same time would like to extend the tongue some to improve how it reacts to backing up. I was thinking about removing the stock tongue and building something that would incorporate a Lock-n-roll hitch. I have seen a few done on various forums but didn't pay much attention. I've already ditched the parking brake feature and all of the cables so no worry there.
Also, what seems to be the best length from the connection point to the axle?? (hitch ball to axle) Is there a sweet spot that makes it track good on and off-road and also controllable in reverse?

-Jay-
1998 XJ and M101 Canadian

There is some good information here

I'd suggest the Max Coupler over the Lock-n-Roll, both need a two inch receiver tube in the tongue so coupler choice won't effect fabrication.

Rubicon_Fan

Adventurer
Here is my cheap and clunky solution.

dba70cfa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toyrover

Observer
I am faced with the same questions as well. I see a lot of extended 416 trailers but not cdn 101. I will be watching this thread as to come up with lengths and ways to fabricate this cleanly. Thanks for posting this!

greentruck

Adventurer
Can't remember where I saw it, but...

Recently I saw a build of a M101 CDN that cut the existing drawbar assembly about 6" in front of the bed wall. Then steel was welded at the appropriate angles to stretch the existing tongue -- maybe 18"?

Was very simple, looked good and was reinforced with plates, etc to be as solid as the rest of the trailer. It has the advantage of retaining the existing lunette/landing leg casting, which is what I want to do...

Now if I can only remember where I saw that???:violent-smiley-031:

Jay S.

Observer
There is some good information here

I'd suggest the Max Coupler over the Lock-n-Roll, both need a two inch receiver tube in the tongue so coupler choice won't effect fabrication.

I can't believe I haven't seen that Jeep Brokers website before:Wow1: That is along the lines with what I'm looking for and very detailed instructions. *Thanks Martyn*

Yes, the Max Coupler was what I was thinking about but couldn't come up with the name other than L-n-R....thanks again!

Still open for more ideas......some where I don't destroy/cut the factory pieces. I would almost consider removing the exsisting "legs of the tongue" and build new ones.

Vince1

Adventurer
The tongue length on the CDN M101 shouldn't be that much different from the M416. On mine, I welded on the extension tube, leaving it long until I could line it up with my Jeep. Then I measured how much the Maxcoupler would add and cut the tongue at the length where I could still open the tailgate of my JK when hooked up and clear my the tongue box I added. Not sure how the XJ tail opens, but it sure is convenient to get in and out the back of the JK without disconnecting the trailer. The resulting trailer handles great off-road and is easy to back up. I can also see it better in the rear view mirrors now that it tis further back.

Attachments

• tongue.jpg
    tongue.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 68

brentbba

Explorer
PO extended the tongue on mine. If I remember, I'll take some measurements and post up a pic or two.

TacoDell

Adventurer
why ditch the parking brake
face12.gif

I just repaired and put mine back on line...
glad I did... was worth the trouble :)

as far as the extension... depending on how much you intend to extend that...
You could do something similar to my M100's tongue extension.

avoids altering the original tongue assembly...
includes a bonus...

if the extension ever were to have issue...
the lunette, with pintle hitch. could still be utilized...
by removing and reinstalling 5 bolts

IMG_0342.jpg

Last edited:

Jay S.

Observer
why ditch the parking brake
face12.gif

I just repaired and put mine back on line...
glad I did... was worth the trouble :)

The parking brake is long gone...it was way rusted....cables, handle, brakes were all shot, so I pruned them off and put hubs on it.

85CUCV

Adventurer
trailer tongue.jpg

I built a frame similiar to a M416 and put the CDN101 tub on it. Center of my lunette is 69.25" from the front of the tub. I do not know what it was before. Hopefully I'll get it sandblasted and painted this week!

Jay S.

Observer
View attachment 62619

I built a frame similiar to a M416 and put the CDN101 tub on it. Center of my lunette is 69.25" from the front of the tub. I do not know what it was before. Hopefully I'll get it sandblasted and painted this week!

Awesome work! That gives me another approach.......one item I want to lose is the pintle hitch first and foremost!

Vince1

Adventurer
I have a pintle hitch anyone can have for free in Western Colorado. I cut up the lunette part, but have the hitch for 2" reciever. It's heavy as heck so it wouldn't pay to ship. PM me if you want it as I have no use for it since going with the Maxcoupler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94