Thread: What's THe Proper Way To Tie Down M416 Tarp/Cover

Default What's THe Proper Way To Tie Down M416 Tarp/Cover

I have an original, or what I believe to be original M416 canvas cover and for the life of me haven't been able to tie down appropriately to where it doesn't lift up in the air when driving at hwy speeds.

Anyone have a diagram showing how to tie these bad boys down? I searched with no luck.....tks.

Google M416 tarp and go to images. You will get m416 and M100 trailer tarp images that show tiedown. Hope this helps.

Default courtesy of the G503

"Easier done than explained. The 4 long ropes are for the corners. Tie the rope to the corner hook, run it up to the front corner grommet, enter the grommet from behind. At this point, take the corner of the tarp material and fold a dart into it (lay the side down first, lay the front down next, fold the excess from the front over the side to box the corner). Bring the rope from the front grommet over the dart (will lay on top of the fabric and hold the dart against itself) continue around the corner to the side corner grommet, enter the grommet from the front (face), pull the rope thru the grommet and go back to the hook, tighten this arrangement to hold the formed boxed corner. Tie the rope off to the hook using a series of half hitches (really helps if you are into boating) . Repeat for the opposite front corner. The rear corners are similar, but the dart is folded over the rear panel (you want the darts positioned so that they don't scoop water in forward travel), The remaining 6 ropes are for the other 6 hooks. Tie a knot in one end, thread the rope thru the grommet from the inside (the knot acts as a stop), tie the rope with a series of half hitches to the corresponding hooks."

half hitch discussion/pic

You are right. Easier to do than explain.

I only have one rope.........I guess I need to cut some of it and try the above.

Quote Originally Posted by DonBeasley View Post
    Google M416 tarp and go to images. You will get m416 and M100 trailer tarp images that show tiedown. Hope this helps.
    It did a little but couldn't find any hi-res images that truly explained the knots or routing.

Default Thanks!

I printed out TacoDell's instructions & took it out to my tarp & trailer. Going slow, step by step, it worked fine. Thanks for the help - now we're outta town!